By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox 360 a Success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes it is. 333 77.26%

No it isn't. 68 15.78%

I love it when you recycle, d21! 30 6.96%

Total:431

like some have stated i wish they would of been more adventurous when it came to making first party games.

Around the Network

Curious as to why people said No.
Were they expecting Wii like numbers? I don't get it?

It's just that simple.

Wagram said:
Am I the only person that picked "no" on all of these threads?

I would love to hear your reasons. 

Yay!!!

UltimateUnknown said:

A lot of people here may not care, but the 360 has seriously changed the way many people play their console games with Xbox Live. I would even say the 360 made online gaming relevant and mainstream on consoles. XBL is the gold standard for how an online gaming service is to be run on consoles.

So no, its not just a success commercially and in profitability, but its also a machine that has majorly changed the gaming landscape if you look at the current gaming trends.

PS3 has online as well though. So if somehow Microsoft decided to not make a succesor to the original XBox, PS3 would have been the online gaming platform of choice worldwide.

I think that the 360 success in America is both a blessing and a curse. Things can easily change each gen so if MS doesn't get 360 up and running in Japan and the other European countries, they could be in trouble is the PS4 or Wii U ends up taking America.

VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

A lot of people here may not care, but the 360 has seriously changed the way many people play their console games with Xbox Live. I would even say the 360 made online gaming relevant and mainstream on consoles. XBL is the gold standard for how an online gaming service is to be run on consoles.

So no, its not just a success commercially and in profitability, but its also a machine that has majorly changed the gaming landscape if you look at the current gaming trends.

PS3 has online as well though. So if somehow Microsoft decided to not make a succesor to the original XBox, PS3 would have been the online gaming platform of choice worldwide.

I think that the 360 success in America is both a blessing and a curse. Things can easily change each gen so if MS doesn't get 360 up and running in Japan and the other European countries, they could be in trouble is the PS4 or Wii U ends up taking America.

If you look back at the online capabilities of consoles. MS provided almost everything first. 

First online service to provide a flawless system. (XBOX)

First to provide online games. (XBOX)

First to provide on demand TV. (360)

First to provide on-demand Movies. (360)

First to provide live TV shows. (360)

Yay!!!

Around the Network

Marketshare - Tick
Profit - Tick
Brand Awareness - Tick

Overall it hasn't failed on any front.

even with smaller fanbase the xbox took massive market from sony and pushed online gaming to whole new level on console

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

If you look back at the online capabilities of consoles. MS provided almost everything first. 

First online service to provide a flawless system. (XBOX)

First to provide online games. (XBOX)

First to provide on demand TV. (360)

First to provide on-demand Movies. (360)

First to provide live TV shows. (360)

Alien front online for the dreamcast says , what? to the bolded                                 .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

What Seece said. Also it managed to get 3rd party support from all the industry, starting from a Playstation dominance position. It's probably the home console winner of this gen, even tought the Wii got more sales.

Is the 360 as big a success as everyone is making out??well it cant be avoided but the "RROD" fiasco was shameful and most likely will have put a lot of people off buying a future microsoft console,hell it may have even driven people to purchase wii or ps3.It had a year head start over the competition yet still got surpassed by the wii very quickly and will most likely get passed by a console which had a botched launch and slow start.Also the 360 has failed to make a dent into the japanese market yet wii and ps3 are strong in all the major countries.Thanks to kinect it has perhaps taken some of the wiis casual audience,especially now the wii has been hung out to dry even by Nintendo themselves,but sony seem to have got their act together on the ps3 front and with the multimedia functions and blu-ray it offers,i feel it is the more attractive purchase of the two.Dont get me wrong this isnt a bash the 360 post,it has done a lot of things well (the online is unrivalled) and it has taken microsoft forward leaps and bounds in the console business.But like the wii and ps3 it is far from perfect.