By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox 360 a Success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes it is. 333 77.26%

No it isn't. 68 15.78%

I love it when you recycle, d21! 30 6.96%

Total:431
T.Rexington said:
Not sure how you could ask that question unless it's in a gloating manner. Just look at the recent sales of Star Wars Kinect and tell me it's not a success.

It was just the final chapter in a trilogy of "Is the ____ a success" threads.  I dug up the old PS3 thread and in the last post, Rol was supposed to make the Wii version and somebody else was supposed to make the 360 version.  Nobody ever made the 360 version so I figured I would.  I got nothing to gloat about.  I'm not a Microsoft shareholder and I plan on playing nothing but PS3 for the rest of this weekend (Finished ME3 last night so I gotta finish FF 13-2 before Witcher comes out!).  No big deal or secret agenda, here.

I guess somebody could make one for the PSP (I'm not sure if I did it already.....I think I did, though).  No need to make one for the DS since it was the most successful of all time.

Around the Network

Yes, and a big one.
It allows Microsoft to have an high role in the gaming market. Financially it made tons of money, so we can't argue on that.

In my opinion it's not a big success on the games side. In fact I didn't bought a 360, but that's because it isn't for my own tastes. Microsoft made a good console for the western market, with games that appeal to the western audience such as FPS and Action...and, unfortunately, I'm not into that kind of games.

I must admit that I'm pretty impressed by how Microsoft could push the 360 to these high sales, in fact after the first Xbox, it was difficult to think about a new console selling on level as the new Playstation.

So, 360 did an amazing job financially, and data can confirm it, while in my own opinion (so something totally subjective) it hasn't a varied library of games.

srry i forgot to do the Q/A

Is the 360 a success? Yes
Did it succeed financially? Yes
Commercially? Yes
Did it live up to Microsoft's expectations? Yes
DId it provide the type of games that justified its existence? No it only had 1 for me
Is the 360 the underdog console that overcame all odds to become a hit or is the 360 the console that had all of the potential to be king, only to be overtaken in sales and games by its rivals? No on both accounts

Consider the 360's competition. Consider the 360's legacy. Consider the 360's obstacles. Consider the 360's contributions. Consider all of this and tell me if Microsoft and the gaming world are better off with the 360 on the market.

well when you put it like that, everything made in the 7th gen. was crap. i hope the 8th gen. is better.

Financially successful? Well I gotta say yeah. It has been for years.
Did it live up to MS expectations? I would say no. They have been stuck in 2nd place all gen in will drop to 3rd in ~2 years.
Did it provide the type of games that justified its existence? I guess so.

Is the 360 the underdog console that overcame all odds to become a hit or is the 360 the console that had all of the potential to be king, only to be overtaken in sales and games by its rivals? The latter.

So taking into account the RROD epidemic, I would still say the 360 has been successful. But I still don't think Microsoft is happy with it. It could have been so much more.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Commercially? Yes
DId it provide the type of games that justified its existence? No it only had 1 for me
Is the 360 the underdog console that overcame all odds to become a hit or is the 360 the console that had all of the potential to be king, only to be overtaken in sales and games by its rivals? No on both accounts

Consider the 360's competition. Consider the 360's legacy. Consider the 360's obstacles. Consider the 360's contributions. Consider all of this and tell me if Microsoft and the gaming world are better off with the 360 on the market.

well when you put it like that, everything made in the 7th gen. was crap. i hope the 8th gen. is better.

Why do you say that?  All three consoles succeeded in some way over its competition (sales, power, games, graphics), all consoles lived up to their legacy in some form or another, all three overcame their obstacles, and all three contributed something major.  But did all of them overcome their shortcomings?  If anything, I'd say the 7th gen is the first gen where every console was awesome in its own way.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Yes.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to say no.

It was a failure in areas such as hardware reliability and the lack of sales in Japan.

But overall, yes the 360 is a success. Microsoft could have done much better though. They didn't really take advantage of Sony's mistakes.

d21lewis said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Commercially? Yes

Why do you say that?  All three consoles succeeded in some way over its competition (sales, power, games, graphics), all consoles lived up to their legacy in some form or another, all three overcame their obstacles, and all three contributed something major.  But did all of them overcome their shortcomings?  If anything, I'd say the 7th gen is the first gen where every console was awesome in its own way.

lmao

the real question is, was there a need for all these random PS3v360 threads! that's not a real question from me though. did you finish VC yet! that's not a real question either.

all 3 failed me, so in my eyes they all failed regardless of what they did good. this is the best gen. for consoles so far. this war only makes it worse. if it weren't for those other threads, i might have a different more positive opionion. but for now, neither console maker has done enough good to outweigh the bad.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
d21lewis said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Commercially? Yes

lmao

the real question is, was there a need for all these random PS3v360 threads! that's not a real question from me though. did you finish VC yet! that's not a real question either.

all 3 failed me, so in my eyes they all failed regardless of what they did good this is the best gen. for consoles so far, but it's not the best ever. this war only makes it worse. if it weren't for those other threads, i might have a different more positive opionion. but for now, neither console maker has done enough good to outweigh the bad.

You know what?  I'm gonna take that bullet out of your gun.  I've been on VGChartz for like 4 hours today but I'm going to take this excess laziness and channel it into beating Valkyria Chronicles TODAY.  I mean right now, too!

As for the PS3 vs 360 threads, the PS3 has reached a bit of a milestone and shaken up the natural order of things.  It's always been Wii>360>PS3 in sales around here.  Everything else has been opinion but this was the one thing that let many of us sleep at night.  Now, the whole world is changing and many of us are scared.  When we are scared, we lash out.  Hence, the threads.

Definitely.

Mindshare grew enormously, and it makes money. I don't understand how anyone can't consider it a success.