By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox 360 a Success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes it is. 333 77.26%

No it isn't. 68 15.78%

I love it when you recycle, d21! 30 6.96%

Total:431

I guess there was a reason the PS3/Wii threads were made. They were justified. In the case of the other two, there was room for question. It could be argued that the Wii had a lack of software and power. It could be argued that the PS3 had a lack of sales and profit. Can any of this really be said about the 360?

It made money. It had sufficient power. It has great support. It has increased the marketshare of the brand. The 360 is possibly the standard bearer for this generation.

Around the Network

Not sure how you could ask that question unless it's in a gloating manner. Just look at the recent sales of Star Wars Kinect and tell me it's not a success.

Of course, though I much prefer the Xbox's library over the 360s. Far more adventurous with their exclusives.

Depends on what one thinks of the term "success" I suppose. In terms of their current focus on Kinect, one might feel that's a failure. But on a financial/commercial level the 360 has been a success including the Kinect. Can't forget how influential Live has been. You'd have to be a limbless nutter to think that the Xbox 360 wasn't a success on some level.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

@T.Rexington

I don't think it's gloating. That's not in D2lewis' nature. Rather, I think he's trying to make a point considering all the smack talk against the 360 lately, especially about the adjustments and PS360 gap.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

YES Ofcourse it is. They trippled the sales over the original xbox. As a gamer, they succeeded in the first 3 years of this gen, they had all these exclusive games like ME, Bioshock, Lost Odyssey, Gears, Halo, Left4Dead etc. But ever since 2009 when they announced Natal things started going downhill in regards of exclusive games.

I hope with next gen MS focuses on constantly providing exclusives troughout its whole lifespan and not just at the beginning.

Panama said:
Of course, though I much prefer the Xbox's library over the 360s. Far more adventurous with their exclusives.

Yeah, the original Xbox had games like Blood Wake, Azurik, Sudeki, Blinx the Time Sweeper, Brute Force, Fable, Forza, Halo, and a megaton of other exclusives.  It's like Microsoft really took charge with the original Xbox and took a back seat when it came to being creative with the 360.

I think it comes down to expectations and what Microsoft was hoping to accomplish with the 360.  I think the thing went well beyond what they were hoping in every single regard.

it's the best second place console ever, and the only second place console to have more 3rd party support then the first place console. so i'd say yes, i'ts a success.

Yes, it's a huge success considering the marketshare it's predecessor held. It has a huge library of games, great selling 1st party and took online gaming to the next level on consoles. The only places where it has failed is making a name for itself in Japan, hardware failure rates in the first couple years and arguably poor 1st party support towards the end of it's lifetime/now, though that last point isn't a big issue because of excellent 3rd party support.

Without a doubt. And a pretty big one at that.