By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox 360 a Success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes it is. 333 77.26%

No it isn't. 68 15.78%

I love it when you recycle, d21! 30 6.96%

Total:431

There is no debate on this one.

100% Yes, litteraly in every area.

Its been profitable.

Its increased market share.

Its been big enough to ensure a successor

Its sold rediculous amounts of software

It is the reason online services on consoles are even close to what they are

And its had some great exclusives.

Around the Network

It is clear that, unlike the Xbox, Microsoft set out to make the 360 a market leader, which they failed to do, though only for things that no-one could have foreseen (the Wii). They succeeded in creating a killer console of the PS2-type just when the PS2 archetype went out of style, but they did succeed very well under the old rules.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

zero129 said:
KungKras said:
mjk45 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

A lot of people here may not care, but the 360 has seriously changed the way many people play their console games with Xbox Live. I would even say the 360 made online gaming relevant and mainstream on consoles. XBL is the gold standard for how an online gaming service is to be run on consoles.

So no, its not just a success commercially and in profitability, but its also a machine that has majorly changed the gaming landscape if you look at the current gaming trends.

PS3 has online as well though. So if somehow Microsoft decided to not make a succesor to the original XBox, PS3 would have been the online gaming platform of choice worldwide.

I think that the 360 success in America is both a blessing and a curse. Things can easily change each gen so if MS doesn't get 360 up and running in Japan and the other European countries, they could be in trouble is the PS4 or Wii U ends up taking America.

If you look back at the online capabilities of consoles. MS provided almost everything first. 

First online service to provide a flawless system. (XBOX)

First to provide online games. (XBOX)

First to provide on demand TV. (360)

First to provide on-demand Movies. (360)

First to provide live TV shows. (360)

Alien front online for the dreamcast says , what? to the bolded                                 .

NetLink for Saturn says, what? to the bolded :P

Can we just say the Xbox was the first success in console online gaming? xD

If you read my initial post where this discussion got started you will see I was trying to be careful by saying Xbox made the above "relevant and mainstream".

I always try to avoid claiming X was the first to do Y because someone will always come up with some obscure example that somehow fits the criteria. Its pointless trying to find out who did what first, but rather the fact that Xbox really took the concept and made it REAL. So I agree with you on what you said, seriously online wouldn't be here as it is without Xbox, a lot of stuff that we see from competitors such as PSN is because they were trying to compete with the high standards set by XBL.

Yes the 360 is undeniably a success however Microsoft's inability to hold onto a significant lead over Sony and a healthy second place position means Microsoft did not meet its full potential. Microsoft sold multiple 360's as replacements to RROD units as such Sony probably has a larger market share of consumers.

However despite coming in third place Microsoft first party software is selling far better then Sony's. Third party software still sells better often on 360. Microsoft also made a killing on Xbox Live where Sony and Nintendo lost money Microsoft was so good they were able to charge for services their competitors offer free. Unlike Sony, Microsoft turned a decent profit on the hardware despite taking a small loss for the first two years.

So yes 360 is a success but it lost consistently to Wii and was never able to come close to Nintendo's profits and marketshare for the whole generation LTD. The fact that Sony has now beat Microsoft ( no way less then 3- million 360's were replacement units to RROD consoles).

Microsoft has another generation to try and take the crown. But from what we've heard rumored I think a second place finish might be likely. Pretending Nintendo is not a competitor is just a sad excuse Microsoft will end this generation in last place 3rd not second.

Though again Microsoft saw a larger market share then last generation, higher software sales as well as higher profit margins. Making 360 a success despite its defeat to Nintendo and Sony.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The 360 is a success in profits and it greatly increased XBox's market share. Whether it will really become the success MS wants it to be is still unsure.
As far as I know MS wants to be in every living room, the tv/movie market is still way more profitable then video games. However the console mainly stayed in dorm rooms and bedrooms. Thus enter Kinect, family games and the shift in focus to tv and movie apps.
Kinect is doing well so far although it's not quite exploding like the Wii was. The jury is still out whether Kinect + 360 will become the new way to watch tv.

Around the Network

Most def the original Xbox was a bit forgettable, but the original 360 is something incredible to me and Microsoft should be very proud in my opinion.

As compared to the original Xbox, the 360 is a big success. It is also an incredible feat, that Microsoft managed to match last gen's undisputed leader. Microsoft's Xbox brand is doing well beyond anyone's expectations. Anyone who denies this is... well... in denial.

Ciao

of course it is, in fact i think this is the first generation in which all of the ''competitors'' do great.

A success by selling more units than the original xbox... yes!

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

well if being number two is consider a success well i guess yes :P

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.