By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to start charging for PSN? Pachter says...

PSN to cost?

Hell no! 78 27.18%

F you, Pachter! 82 28.57%

Maybe 44 15.33%

Yes 52 18.12%

See results 30 10.45%

Total:286

I wouldnt put it out of my list to be honest.

Yay!!!

Around the Network

Too add, with PlayStation Plus they don't née to charge. Right now Plus is a platform they are charging people to use. All the free games and discounts they offer are controllable by them allowing them to control the expected cost trade off of provide game X to be free. Plus also provides a far superior method of advertisement, allowing discounting and showcasing on at least a weekly basis. Even a free game can bolster sales for a title through the advertisement to non Plus members and word of mouth from Plus members. Plus also doesn't concentrate on brand new releases allowing forgetten gems to shine again. The incentives for it now are huge, they might change in the future but it will still provide value. If Plus obtains enough subscribers the need for a pay for online service would not exist.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Is there something that motivates people to keep posting about Pachter that makes them think doing so will mean they can cause reality to bend like it is under the influence of Alan Wake, or will be such that they are the rare person to actually catch a prediction by Pachter that comes true?

I can see it happening.... maybe. It wouldn't bother me as long as I can see clear improvements and added features.

I think what's more likely is something similar to their current model, PSN and PS+.

Pachter has been saying this for the last five years. It's not going to happen, at least not this generation. You don't go from a free service to a paid service. You don't take features which used to be free and start charging for them.

PlayStation Plus is as far as they'll ever go.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Sony fans don't have to worry. Remember, Patcher is always wrong.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

I pay for PSN+ and have since the first day it was offered. I'm quite happy with it right now. They've included a ton of games for my 50 bucks a year some of which don't even expire if I cancel my subscription. On the other hand I've cancelled my Xbox Gold subscription because I was paying $60 for, well nothing actually. Once my son got tired of running around the same maps shooting his friends I had no reason to keep it. I only play single player games and download the odd demo.

Bottom line: if Sony charges and actually gives me value for my money like including a couple of games a month for free and others at a discount then I'm in. If like Xbox live I have to pay for nothing I'm out.

Sony isn't in a position to start charging for their online service. All they need is a better marketing campaign for the current PSN. However Sony can't seem to find magic in that anymore and Kevin Butler cost too much for them to keep.

It sad but I believe putting a price tag on PSN will have more consumers leave PlayStation gaming. Microsoft already has the experience and dedicated userbase that will pay for online services like Xbox Live Gold. Sony trying to compete with that will ultimately lead to failure.

mothman said:
I pay for PSN+ and have since the first day it was offered. I'm quite happy with it right now. They've included a ton of games for my 50 bucks a year some of which don't even expire if I cancel my subscription. On the other hand I've cancelled my Xbox Gold subscription because I was paying $60 for, well nothing actually. Once my son got tired of running around the same maps shooting his friends I had no reason to keep it. I only play single player games and download the odd demo.

Bottom line: if Sony charges and actually gives me value for my money like including a couple of games a month for free and others at a discount then I'm in. If like Xbox live I have to pay for nothing I'm out.

Except for the fact that Xbox Live offers more on-demand, arcade and indie games online. Not to mention its arsenal of entertainment apps. 

Yay!!!

I think that charging for PSN is a good move to make more money, but owners won't be too happy about it. Seems like something that might do since they plan to focus more on Playstation. They might increase the speciality of membership, kinda like a PSN + plus! If they do starting charging for it, I don't think they'll take away free online gaming, but you'll won't be able to buy certain things like season passes for DLC or something like that.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3