By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to start charging for PSN? Pachter says...

PSN to cost?

Hell no! 78 27.18%

F you, Pachter! 82 28.57%

Maybe 44 15.33%

Yes 52 18.12%

See results 30 10.45%

Total:286

I wont be surprised but I guess ill just play more offline games then. Bring back the local multiplayer games!

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
The smart way to do it would simply be to move more features of basic PSN behind the PSN+ wall, but keep basic online multiplayer (no frills) free. Which really is what Microsoft should be doing (Silver should be free multiplayer only, Gold should be all the extra crap)

Agreed that is the proper way to do it and it would become a great income for a company that could use all the money that it could bring in.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JimmyDanger said:
To be honest, I don't see a big difference between PSN+ & XBL.

Both cost about the same, both offer discounted games and dlc, cloud saves, their own apps/features and exclusive access to some content.

The only major difference is the psn + free game of the month, which, to be honest, are usually older or cheaper games (minis) anyway, which most moderate/heavy users even slightly interested in said game, would have already bought previously when discounted to 5 or 10 bucks? Still, not all psn games offering demo/trial versions may offset this.

Is it possible that one of the reasons psn games generally sell less than xbla, is that some users are waiting for the game to be offered for free? Possible, sure. I know I'd be a little annoyed if I'd previously bought that months free game. Does advertising for " the game that's offered free this month on psn+" help sales of that game, or subscriptions for psn+ more?

Interesting points. Discuss!

Theres a big difference.

The discounted offers Microsoft makes to certain games are the same as the discounted offers Sony makes to Free PSN users. The PSN Plus discounted addages are a totally different list of games being showcased by Sony discounted only for PSN. Its laid out pretty simple. 

This is how it works:

Games:

-Microsoft gives discounted seasonal games

-PSN gives discounted seasonal games

PSN Plus gives additional free games (can't be kept), 60 minute demos of full games and additional discounted games and demos. 

Themes:

Monthly dynamic and premium themes for free on PSN and avatars for free as well.

Xbox Live doesnt do this.

Exclusive shows:

Qore: Free on PSN plus for a month then released free on PSN

Inside Xbox: Its a lie that its exclusive to the 360. Any non 360 owner can watch it without paying the premium fee officially.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/user/InsideXbox

The big difference is that everything that is premium is what you pay for with PSN Plus...everything you should get for free you pay for with Xbox Live.

LOL...they made the Xbox a multimedia machine and then you must pay the premium fee to get into your own Netflix account that you pay for?

Thats called nickel and diming people.

There are free games on Xbox LIVE as well. I'm pretty sure you own it once you download, so you don't lose access to it if you cancel your subscription.

There are plenty of free themes, gamer pics, and avatar items. A lot of them are available through advertisements and they have given out items during the holidays and if you are part of other Xbox services such as LIVE rewards.

Are you saying that you cannot view Qore anywhere else other that PSN? I guess it is moot anyway as it is cancelled as of next month. The final issue is this month.

As for Inside Xbox, you can watch it on xbox.com as well. If they said only on Xbox, it may have been in the past or they may have meant the Xbox network.

You kidding me? After the 10000 lay-offs I think it's pretty much a sure thing for the PSFourbis.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

Capulous said:
mothman said:
I pay for PSN+ and have since the first day it was offered. I'm quite happy with it right now. They've included a ton of games for my 50 bucks a year some of which don't even expire if I cancel my subscription. On the other hand I've cancelled my Xbox Gold subscription because I was paying $60 for, well nothing actually. Once my son got tired of running around the same maps shooting his friends I had no reason to keep it. I only play single player games and download the odd demo.

Bottom line: if Sony charges and actually gives me value for my money like including a couple of games a month for free and others at a discount then I'm in. If like Xbox live I have to pay for nothing I'm out.

Are you talking about the free games you get as long as you subscribe to PSN+? They remain free and playable as long as you have an active subscription to PSN+. Once that subscription expires you will not have access to those games anymore unless you purchase them or renew.

Xbox LIVE gold membership offers discounts on games and DLC, and there are free games as well. However, these games may be free to silver members as well.

I highly doubt XBL offers a substantial amount of free games. PS Plus pushes out free games constantly. Here are the titles I received from just one year of PS Plus:

PS3

Shift 2

Far Cry 2

Sly Cooper

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Fatal Interia

PSN

Shank 2

Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD

LBP prehistoric moves

Mahjong tales

Costume Quest

Hydrophobia Prophecy

Inferno Pool

Swords and Soldiers

Marvel Pinball

Burn Zombie Burn

Elemental Monster

Altered Beast

Astro Tripper

Plants vs Zombies

Comix Zone

Crash Commando

Golden Axe

Bomberman Ultra

Streets of Rage 2

Magic the Gathering Dules of the Planswalkers

Sam and Max Episode 1

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2

Comet Crash

Hamster Ball

Battle Fantasia

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Simpsons Arcade

Back to the Future Episode 1-5

PSone

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 & racing

Silent Hill

Resident Evil 1-3

Siphon Filter 1-3

Um Jammer Lammy

Final Fantasy V

Spyro the Dragon 1-3

Warhawk

Jet Moto

Destruction Derby

Medievil

Disney's Lilo and Stitch

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Minis

34 of them...save the trouble

Applications

EyeCreate

PlayMemories Studios

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

Chark said:

I highly doubt XBL offers a substantial amount of free games. PS Plus pushes out free games constantly. Here are the titles I received from just one year of PS Plus:

I don't know the list of free games for Xbox, nor am I arguing which is better.  Just pointing out that the games are only there as long as you keep your membership active and that there are free games on Xbox LIVE as well.

Chark said:
Capulous said:
mothman said:
I pay for PSN+ and have since the first day it was offered. I'm quite happy with it right now. They've included a ton of games for my 50 bucks a year some of which don't even expire if I cancel my subscription. On the other hand I've cancelled my Xbox Gold subscription because I was paying $60 for, well nothing actually. Once my son got tired of running around the same maps shooting his friends I had no reason to keep it. I only play single player games and download the odd demo.

Bottom line: if Sony charges and actually gives me value for my money like including a couple of games a month for free and others at a discount then I'm in. If like Xbox live I have to pay for nothing I'm out.

Are you talking about the free games you get as long as you subscribe to PSN+? They remain free and playable as long as you have an active subscription to PSN+. Once that subscription expires you will not have access to those games anymore unless you purchase them or renew.

Xbox LIVE gold membership offers discounts on games and DLC, and there are free games as well. However, these games may be free to silver members as well.

The difference is that you can keep the games. Not to continue to "pay" for it. 

Yay!!!

Capulous said:

Chark said:

I don't know the list of free games for Xbox, nor am I arguing which is better.  Just pointing out that the games are only there as long as you keep your membership active and that there are free games on Xbox LIVE as well.

The fact you lose access to them is a downer, especially since they toss so many at you you'd never have time to play them. I'm guessing if I was to not go online after my PS Plus membership expired I could play them as long as I wanted, as if that was a good trade off. Who knows, maybe they have some code that triggers based on the date, but there could be a workaround simply by adjusting date and time. At least those titles will always be available to you if you decide to get membership again. I find it pretty cool for any PS3 owner to see a really nice game drop and purchase 3 months of Plus for $15. So for instance when Far Cry 2 was given away, they could have it for $15 and have 3 months to play it till they loose interest. It's nice when they are giving free PSN games that would cost $15 to buy anyway. Might as well get Plus and enjoy it for 3 months, get some free themes and avatars during that time too.

My brother has a 360, and I have several friends with 360s, but I haven't heard of seen anything regarding free games.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JimmyDanger said:
To be honest, I don't see a big difference between PSN+ & XBL.

Both cost about the same, both offer discounted games and dlc, cloud saves, their own apps/features and exclusive access to some content.

The only major difference is the psn + free game of the month, which, to be honest, are usually older or cheaper games (minis) anyway, which most moderate/heavy users even slightly interested in said game, would have already bought previously when discounted to 5 or 10 bucks? Still, not all psn games offering demo/trial versions may offset this.

Is it possible that one of the reasons psn games generally sell less than xbla, is that some users are waiting for the game to be offered for free? Possible, sure. I know I'd be a little annoyed if I'd previously bought that months free game. Does advertising for " the game that's offered free this month on psn+" help sales of that game, or subscriptions for psn+ more?

Interesting points. Discuss!

Theres a big difference.

The discounted offers Microsoft makes to certain games are the same as the discounted offers Sony makes to Free PSN users. The PSN Plus discounted addages are a totally different list of games being showcased by Sony discounted only for PSN. Its laid out pretty simple. 

This is how it works:

Games:

-Microsoft gives discounted seasonal games

-PSN gives discounted seasonal games

PSN Plus gives additional free games (can't be kept), 60 minute demos of full games and additional discounted games and demos. 

Themes:

Monthly dynamic and premium themes for free on PSN and avatars for free as well.

Xbox Live doesnt do this.

Exclusive shows:

Qore: Free on PSN plus for a month then released free on PSN

Inside Xbox: Its a lie that its exclusive to the 360. Any non 360 owner can watch it without paying the premium fee officially.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/user/InsideXbox

The big difference is that everything that is premium is what you pay for with PSN Plus...everything you should get for free you pay for with Xbox Live.

LOL...they made the Xbox a multimedia machine and then you must pay the premium fee to get into your own Netflix account that you pay for?

Thats called nickel and diming people.

There are free games on Xbox LIVE as well. I'm pretty sure you own it once you download, so you don't lose access to it if you cancel your subscription.

There are plenty of free themes, gamer pics, and avatar items. A lot of them are available through advertisements and they have given out items during the holidays and if you are part of other Xbox services such as LIVE rewards.

Are you saying that you cannot view Qore anywhere else other that PSN? I guess it is moot anyway as it is cancelled as of next month. The final issue is this month.

As for Inside Xbox, you can watch it on xbox.com as well. If they said only on Xbox, it may have been in the past or they may have meant the Xbox network.

As I said before....if Microsoft gives away stuff, its just as much as Sony would give away to free PSN members. Microsoft would never  give away as much as PSN Plus does. If PSN Plus would be described as something on Xbox Live as far as allowance it would be a third tier ontop of Xbox Live like a Platinum service. The whole thing is basically just one big give away all year if you pay $50 a year. As I said...Microsoft doesn't do this and they never will.

I'd like to see a monthly list of the free or discounted stuff over the cost of $1200 per member.

I have Xbox Live...the point reward system is pathetic. Please do not equate it to PSN Plus.

- Renew membership...

- Taking surveys (Surveys are 20 points and they are monthly....yeah)

- Get your friend to join Xbox Live (100 points after waiting 45 days)

- Sign up to netflix under Xbox Live and get 100 points. (I have it but I guess you must get it after the program or something)

-It doesn't get chalked up to your actual account until it reaches over 100 points.

Yes...join our servitude problem and earn pittance points. How about I just pay for it myself? If I want little small thing i'll participate. :)

Rewards program is for loyal customers. I am not loyal to Microsoft and I'm not their dog.

That is nothing compared to getting free items monthly, free games (conditionally can only be played for the duration of your Plus status), and discounted items which there are quite a few ontop of other incentives.

As I said before, Microsoft wont even let me get to my own netflix account if I dont pay them. Yeah...i'll just ignore it and go to my PS3 if I want that. Yeah...fail.

You can say Qore is moot but it was a clear signature of Sony's intentions. If you want to discount it just because its not longer on the list thats you...I'm still adding it because Sony gave it as apart of the package with clear intent.

We don't pay for Xbox Live Insider...I know that much now. So still...what is it that we pay for opposited to standard PSN Plus? Cross Chat? Wait until next gen.

The only free things i've recieved from Microsoft are the avatar clothes and the free games when I paid $130 to them from my 320GB HD. 

Yeah...no...there is no comparison.

On your next post show me the section in Xbox Live marktetplace that reads free or discounted games monthly.

Remember anything Microsoft does, Sony already gives to to the free PSN memebers. Plus gives addages beyond that which Microsoft would ever give.

Microsoft wouldnt even give us the Gears 3 DLC free which Cliff Blezsinski clearly wanted to be free because the fans deserve it. I am so glad they dont own Bioware at this point because the new Mass Effect DLC for multiplayer would have never been free.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

As I said before....if Microsoft gives away stuff, its just as much as Sony would give away to free PSN members. Microsoft would never  give away as much as PSN Plus does. If PSN Plus would be described as something on Xbox Live as far as allowance it would be a third tier ontop of Xbox Live like a Platinum service. The whole thing is basically just one big give away all year if you pay $50 a year. As I said...Microsoft doesn't do this and they never will.

I'd like to see a monthly list of the free or discounted stuff over the cost of $1200 per member.

I have Xbox Live...the point reward system is pathetic. Please do not equate it to PSN Plus.

- Renew membership...

- Taking surveys (Surveys are 20 points and they are monthly....yeah)

- Get your friend to join Xbox Live (100 points after waiting 45 days)

- Sign up to netflix under Xbox Live and get 100 points. (I have it but I guess you must get it after the program or something)

-It doesn't get chalked up to your actual account until it reaches over 100 points.

Yes...join our servitude problem and earn pittance points. How about I just pay for it myself? If I want little small thing i'll participate. :)

Rewards program is for loyal customers. I am not loyal to Microsoft and I'm not their dog.

That is nothing compared to getting free items monthly, free games (conditionally can only be played for the duration of your Plus status), and discounted items which there are quite a few ontop of other incentives.

As I said before, Microsoft wont even let me get to my own netflix account if I dont pay them. Yeah...i'll just ignore it and go to my PS3 if I want that. Yeah...fail.

You can say Qore is moot but it was a clear signature of Sony's intentions. If you want to discount it just because its not longer on the list thats you...I'm still adding it because Sony gave it as apart of the package with clear intent.

We don't pay for Xbox Live Insider...I know that much now. So still...what is it that we pay for opposited to standard PSN Plus? Cross Chat? Wait until next gen.

The only free things i've recieved from Microsoft are the avatar clothes and the free games when I paid $130 to them from my 320GB HD. 

Yeah...no...there is no comparison.

On your next post show me the section in Xbox Live marktetplace that reads free or discounted games monthly.

Remember anything Microsoft does, Sony already gives to to the free PSN memebers. Plus gives addages beyond that which Microsoft would ever give.

Microsoft wouldnt even give us the Gears 3 DLC free which Cliff Blezsinski clearly wanted to be free because the fans deserve it. I am so glad they dont own Bioware at this point because the new Mass Effect DLC for multiplayer would have never been free.

Nothing you have said counters anything I mentioned. PS Plus would be a platinum Xbox LIVE? Lol, alright that's your opinion so no point in discussing that.

I am fine with the Xbox LIVE rewards. It is free, you want some free points you do a simple survey. Additional things you do through your time on Xbox can also get you points. It is free, if you don't like it why even do it? Is someone forcing you?

LIVE has weekly sales and discounts on games, DLC, and various other stuff. I do not know exactly how much you save, but it is there. I would like to see this monthly $1200 savings you get as a PSN+ member that you are referring to though.

You think Sony is giving you this stuff for free because they want to. No, they were late to establish any sort of online gaming for console so they gave away PSN online gaming for free to compete. It has improve a lot since it's inception, but since they had to give it away free they could not just charge for it (it is advertised as free as a selling point as well). So they throw in some more incentives to get people to pay for PSN+. If it seems like a good value to certain people they will do it. If not, they will not. You seem to fail to grasp this part. People who see value to what they get through Xbox LIVE gold membership will pay for it. It is obvious you don't, so don't use it. Xbox LIVE can cost anything form $0 to $60 dollars. My last 13 month membership cost me nothing as I got Halo: Reach ($60 game for free when I renewed my membership). Look a brand new retail game for free with my membership. Damn MS. Now my membership is up so I get an offer for 2 more months for $2. Damn them again?

Bioware...well that is conjecture so there is really no point in discussing that.