By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to start charging for PSN? Pachter says...

PSN to cost?

Hell no! 78 27.18%

F you, Pachter! 82 28.57%

Maybe 44 15.33%

Yes 52 18.12%

See results 30 10.45%

Total:286

PlayStation Plus is absolutely awesome. I don't regret any cent I've spent on it so far and I'll keep paying it for as long as the plan exists. Of course if PSN becomes a paid service, I will subscribe too... People pay for Xbox Live, why wouldn't they pay for PSN? If Sony is in dire need of cash they should go for it.

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
mothman said:
I pay for PSN+ and have since the first day it was offered. I'm quite happy with it right now. They've included a ton of games for my 50 bucks a year some of which don't even expire if I cancel my subscription. On the other hand I've cancelled my Xbox Gold subscription because I was paying $60 for, well nothing actually. Once my son got tired of running around the same maps shooting his friends I had no reason to keep it. I only play single player games and download the odd demo.

Bottom line: if Sony charges and actually gives me value for my money like including a couple of games a month for free and others at a discount then I'm in. If like Xbox live I have to pay for nothing I'm out.

Except for the fact that Xbox Live offers more on-demand, arcade and indie games online. Not to mention its arsenal of entertainment apps. 

Hey, wait. I am a subscriber of both services and I seriously don't see all that more content on Xbox Live. It's about the same amount of content on both... Not to mention the quality of PSN exclusives. PlayStation Plus has been far more value for money than Xbox Live, by a MILE.

I'm pretty sure that on the PS3 box that it says free online play. While they can charge for it at any time I don't think that it will happen till the PS4 comes out so they can outline what is standard and what is premium. Hope this will help them make more money after that loss.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

It can be done, they just have to follow the Microsoft service model..

They already have 2 level of services, normal and plus.
With the new generation they can drop some services from the normal free one. For example, trophies can only be uploaded for plus users, ingame chat can only be used by plus users, etc.
Add some additional services exclusively to plus users.

Then let the players choose, they will not be technically denying online gaming to anyone and can use it as a hook to sell consoles, but the normal service will be so basic that most people will be willing to pay for the plus service.

People who pay for online gaming views like premium online on the 360 are voting with their wallets. If they help Microsoft profit by no longer making online gaming free then so be it. Microsoft will probably be crazy enough to go after PC gamers after as well (good luck to them there). Sony has already stated they will decrease development projects next gen. Less exclusive projects freeing up money for god knows what? I am guessing they are following Microsofts lead. I don't think its right because Microsoft doesn't run their gaming sector like a true gaming company. Anyway, If people want to pay to get less...in an ass backwards world that what will happen. Companies will follow suit.

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
mothman said:
I pay for PSN+ and have since the first day it was offered. I'm quite happy with it right now. They've included a ton of games for my 50 bucks a year some of which don't even expire if I cancel my subscription. On the other hand I've cancelled my Xbox Gold subscription because I was paying $60 for, well nothing actually. Once my son got tired of running around the same maps shooting his friends I had no reason to keep it. I only play single player games and download the odd demo.

Bottom line: if Sony charges and actually gives me value for my money like including a couple of games a month for free and others at a discount then I'm in. If like Xbox live I have to pay for nothing I'm out.

Except for the fact that Xbox Live offers more on-demand, arcade and indie games online. Not to mention its arsenal of entertainment apps. 

Microsoft focuses on arcade because their exclusive retail is bare bones. Go on Xbox Live and look up retail in the new navigation menu...it reeks of nothing but multiplats. It's terribly weak.

Sensei said:
PlayStation Plus is absolutely awesome. I don't regret any cent I've spent on it so far and I'll keep paying it for as long as the plan exists. Of course if PSN becomes a paid service, I will subscribe too... People pay for Xbox Live, why wouldn't they pay for PSN? If Sony is in dire need of cash they should go for it.

I agree PSN Plus gives you so much more than Xbox Live ever will.

turtuls said:
I'm pretty sure that on the PS3 box that it says free online play. While they can charge for it at any time I don't think that it will happen till the PS4 comes out so they can outline what is standard and what is premium. Hope this will help them make more money after that loss.

Sony already outlined what was free and what was standard by keeping online gaming free and charging for only premium needs with PSN plus. Compare both if you will.

Changing for core online services is a really bad idea if you want to be market leader (as Sony's past history suggests they are aiming for), as it completely alienates the more casual gaming audience, that, say, might want to play online every now and again, but not enough to justify paying for an online service. Hence I believe it would be better to do what I believe Sony will do; keep the core service free so as to appeal to the widest possible audience, but keep 'advanced features' in a paid package (Playstation Plus) for the more hardcore audience that demands more advanced online features that the majority of the casual audience would not use. Hence the hardcore audience drives the business; for the online portions of the games, it can be considered a similar business model as the free MMO + optional cash shop model that is proving very popular in the MMO sphere.

Sensei said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
mothman said:

Hey, wait. I am a subscriber of both services and I seriously don't see all that more content on Xbox Live. It's about the same amount of content on both... Not to mention the quality of PSN exclusives. PlayStation Plus has been far more value for money than Xbox Live, by a MILE.

This. I have both as well. Xbox Live doesn't come close. What you pay for on Xbox Live is truthfully free everywhere else and PSN plus is optional for those who want it with all the premium addages they offer.