By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U release = Start of new Gen? Agree or Disagree.

1)Yes

2)No, the lifetime sales of the console are what determines the winner. Following this it would leave the PS3 with a year shorter retail sales time. Another year and the PS3 could outsell the 360, especially if you stopped counting 360 sales for that one year period to give them the same time on retail shelves.

Around the Network

Thanks for making this thread since I'll know to avoid whoever answers no to the first question. 

8th gen for home consoles starts with the Wii U; no question about it. Years from now it will be described as an 8th gen video game console, so why wouldn't it be upon release.

7th gen ends when primary support stops in terms of relevancy and shifts to next gen game development and support. There will be overlap and no, the 7th gen does not end the day the 8th begins.

VGC charts would look and be pointless is all they tracked were Wii U sales. "Hey look at that; 100% of console sales again."

Something for people to ponder. If a generation ends when the next gen starts, you can remove about 60 Million units from the PS2.

Another thing - depending on reception to upcoming 360/ Kinect pricecuts... Along with the upcoming games and huge Wii drops in the next 12 Months, 360 may eventually even catch the Wii.

Carl2291 said:
Something for people to ponder. If a generation ends when the next gen starts, you can remove about 60 Million units from the PS2.

Another thing - depending on reception to upcoming 360/ Kinect pricecuts... Along with the upcoming games and huge Wii drops in the next 12 Months, 360 may eventually even catch the Wii.

I agree the generation doesn’t end but the race sure does

OT: lol why would anyone even ask this?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
Attoyou said:
1: Yes
2: Yes, and to me, 360 and PS3 feel more like 1st and Second place consoles.

1/ depends. If WiiU is indeed significantly more powerful than PS360, then yes. If not, current gen goes on.

2/ I do agree with Attoyou. With falling software release&sales and precious few award-winning titles, Wii looks more like a loser.

Of course not. The Wii U might not even be this generation according to some of the rumors.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Yes, its the start of a new gen with the Wii U. Nintendo is not and has never been worried about having the most powerful console, but rather one that changes the way you play. Take that as it is and you shall be satisfied with Nintendos offerings. I will be more focused on the PS4 and possibly PC next gen though unless the Wii U totally blows my mind (To add to variety). This might be my last gen with a Microsoft console. Lets see how they do at E3 this year and next year. This gen isn't over for the PS3 and 360 but the Kinect has definitely ensured survival for the 360 in its final days. How Microsoft expects to keep the 360 flush with games completing the decade vs Sony is beyond me unless we're only talking Kinect. They kind of suck at controlling core titles. Sony can't get a foothold, and obviously they dont seem to care about winning over the casuals. For now I can say Sony came in third, but it is a respected third with the quality of games they took to the end. They also profitted off of their console, last gen Microsoft couldn't even accomplish that.

1- Yes, it's the start of next-gen
2- No, current gen console will still sell for a while into next-gen, who knows where they'll end up

sethnintendo said:

Thanks for making this thread since I'll know to avoid whoever answers no to the first question. 

lol this