By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U release = Start of new Gen? Agree or Disagree.

Carl2291 said:
As one generation starts, the other doesnt necessarily end.

As long as there is still competition, still games releasing... The generation is on-going. Just because my generation of people were born, didnt make the older generation obsolete.

This. Also, in no competition retiring early gives the current leader the victory automatically, in that case the victory is decided when the other competitors end the race, or retire early too, seeing what each one has achieved.

About the generation Wii U is going to start, we could call it 7.2.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

No, the Wii U will not kick off a new generation. It is certainly in the same generation as the 3DS and Vita. The next generation will likely be started by the 4DS, or potentially the PSV2.

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:

I'm not arguing about the % of failure rate of the PS3, but would it be really right to say that the number of 360's that was past their warranty (Not all the 360 failures, but just the ones past the 3 year warranty) would be alot higher then the % of fat PS3's that failed?. We have no statistics on this as pretty much most of that 40% failure rate for 360 was within the 3 year time frame, so id say the % of failed consoles that was past their 3 year warranty wouldn't be that high. Plus im sure alot of people swapped their fat PS3's for a slim PS3 too.

**Edit made a mistake at the end and fixed it xD, I put 360 instead of PS3**

Me saying 40% was just being nice about the 360's failure rate. In reality it was reported over 50% of the userbase had red rings of death ontop of faulty hardware issues. It would still be leagues higher than the PS3's failure rate. Look up how many people bought 360's within the first year of the 360. When I say over 50% i mean world wide over 50%. The numbers from britain were pretty high. I feel bad for all the poor people who were out of warranty. This was going on from the start an Microsoft waited until 2007 to extend the warranty.  Anyway...whatever...its over now the because Microsoft remodeled it so onto other things. Arguing about the quality of the 360 vs any system until 2010 was a lost argument.

Anyones system that failed within the first year would of been replaced under the 1 year warranty, anyones system that failed in the 2nd year would of also been replaced under the 3 year warranty. The number of people that didn't know, or had their system break after the warranty was up should be low around 5-10% like i said, so that brings it in line with the PS3 10% failure rate, that only seemed to happen around 2 years after the ps3 was released and guess what Sony did?, charge you $130 to fix it, and even then you where lucky to get around 6 months out of it....

But like you said no point in auguments over this, whats done is done.

The failure rate still had no meaning on how sucessful the 360 was and is and i think software sales tell us that.

Almost all of my friends who own 360's have had 2-4 360s. Most of them bought new ones, theres no way I'm ever going to let the repurchase attribution to sales fly. It happened alright. People who even have 360's that didnt have issues still bought special editions.  MW for sure...but the Gears bundle didnt do so well where I live. 

Ok so how many friends do you have that own a 360? 10 maybe? thats alot less then 1% of the 360 install base even if it was 20 or 30 friends it would still be alot less then 1%. Now how many of them payed for a new 360 when their old one failed?, Now for the ones that did pay how many of them payed a 2nd time?, do you see what im getting at here?. it wouldn't even account for 50 unites sold. Plus to the bolded part, the same can be said about the PS3, i know alot of friends that traded in their PS3's for the Slim model when it came out. doesn't mean they account for most of the PS3 sales now does it?.

Plus software sales like i said prove that the logic that the RROD helped with 360 sales etc, is flawed and just plan wrong.

But look we have brought this thread off topic enough, so lets just leave it at that. Or make a new thread about it and post a link here and i will join you in the thread.

Microsoft did not replace 100% of the 50%+ failure rate Xboxes (not even 99%). I've had small instances where I've spoken to people who got refurbished models swapped out by MS and it still red ringed. They definitely missed 10-15% at the least and those or more replaced their 360's. As for my friends who replaced their Xboxes by buying new ones? Quite a large chunk of them bro. I have a lot of friends with 360 because they kind of buy it because other friends have 360's.