By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U release = Start of new Gen? Agree or Disagree.

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
snowdog said:
And it should also be noted that the sales of the 360 are boosted by its failure rate, I know a few people that are on their third and fourth consoles.

Thats the worst excuse i have ever heard. i wont even explain why.

That has to be attributed to the 360s sales by some percentage. It was over the 40% mark and not every one had the pleasure of an extended warranty past the three years of life. If you bought a 360 in 2005 and it red ringed in 2009, you were essentially screwed. Microsoft only increased the warranty by two years past the initial year.

I think it's save to say that anyones 360 that red ringed was more then likely covered in the time frame, sure the might of been some that wasn't but i wouldn't say it was a big % of users. And the ones that wasn't prop just got a pre owned 360 for their 2nd console. I know thats what i did with my fat PS3 when it YLOD on me.

Arguing about the PS3's failure rate is pointless since it never peaked a quarter of how bad the 360 was. Not to ignore it, but its nowhere on the old 360's failure rate level. Remodeling the 360 was the right idea, but for you to truly and honestly say everyone who had a bad 360 past warranty was awarded is quite misguided. Quite a few people had to repurchase 360, some did it without really wanting to, others wanted newer models. As I said if you bought the launch 360 and 2009 hit you were screwed. Sorry to say, but thats the truth.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
snowdog said:
And it should also be noted that the sales of the 360 are boosted by its failure rate, I know a few people that are on their third and fourth consoles.

That has to be attributed to the 360s sales by some percentage. It was over the 40% mark and not every one had the pleasure of an extended warranty past the three years of life. If you bought a 360 in 2005 and it red ringed in 2009, you were essentially screwed. Microsoft only increased the warranty by two years past the initial year.

I think it's save to say that anyones 360 that red ringed was more then likely covered in the time frame, sure the might of been some that wasn't but i wouldn't say it was a big % of users. And the ones that wasn't prop just got a pre owned 360 for their 2nd console. I know thats what i did with my fat PS3 when it YLOD on me.

Arguing about the PS3's failure rate is pointless since it never peaked a quarter of how bad the 360 was. Not to ignore it, but its nowhere on the old 360's failure rate level. Remodeling the 360 was the right idea, but for you to truly and honestly say everyone who had a bad 360 past warranty was awarded is quite misguided. Quite a few people had to repurchase 360, some did it without really wanting to, others wanted newer models. As I said if you bought the launch 360 and 2009 hit you were screwed. The warranty was three years and nowhere over that point. Sorry to say, but thats the truth.

8th gen started with the 3DS.

That start of a new gen doesn't mean the previous is over.

4 ≈ One

amp316 said:
Pavolink said:
amp316 said:
Of course not. The Wii U might not even be this generation according to some of the rumors.

Nintendo with 2 homeconsoles in the same generation?

Wii vs Wii U

But, will it cath up the PS2?

Yes, but the games won't look as good as the original Halo.

Another Nintendo console with N64 graphics?

When this ***ing company will learn?!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

@zero129

I've got friends that either refused to rely on the refurbished garbage that Microsoft sends back in order to cover failed 360's or were ignorant of the extent of the 360's warranty. They instead opted to replace their 360's with new units, I don't know what percentage of total sales that this would account for but from my personal experience it appears to be a significant factor.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
bouzane said:
@zero129

I've got friends that either refused to rely on the refurbished garbage that Microsoft sends back in order to cover failed 360's or were ignorant of the extent of the 360's warranty. They instead opted to replace their 360's with new units, I don't know what percentage of total sales that this would account for but from my personal experience it appears to be a significant factor.

It could be high, but out of 40% failure rate of the 360 id say about 5-10% was past the warranty, Now that still is a big number if you take into account how many 360's where sold (Again it could be higher then that its just a guess as we have no stats to base it on), but that would bring it in line with the PS3 failure rate of 10%. Anyway i still don't think the RLOD is why the 360 sold so much.

The RRoD is clearly not the reason why the 360 sold as many units as it did, but it was a contributing factor (as minor as it may be). It is worth noting that the PS3 does not have a 10% failure rate, it is closer to 5-6%.

Yes obviously

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
snowdog said:

Arguing about the PS3's failure rate is pointless since it never peaked a quarter of how bad the 360 was. Not to ignore it, but its nowhere on the old 360's failure rate level. Remodeling the 360 was the right idea, but for you to truly and honestly say everyone who had a bad 360 past warranty was awarded is quite misguided. Quite a few people had to repurchase 360, some did it without really wanting to, others wanted newer models. As I said if you bought the launch 360 and 2009 hit you were screwed. Sorry to say, but thats the truth.

I'm not arguing about the % of failure rate of the PS3, but would it be really right to say that the number of 360's that was past their warranty (Not all the 360 failures, but just the ones past the 3 year warranty) would be alot higher then the % of fat PS3's that failed?. We have no statistics on this as pretty much most of that 40% failure rate for 360 was within the 3 year time frame, so id say the % of failed consoles that was past their 3 year warranty wouldn't be that high. Plus im sure alot of people swapped their fat PS3's for a slim PS3 too.

**Edit made a mistake at the end and fixed it xD, I put 360 instead of PS3**

Me saying 40% was just being nice about the 360's failure rate. In reality it was reported over 50% of the userbase had red rings of death ontop of faulty hardware issues. It would still be leagues higher than the PS3's failure rate. Look up how many people bought 360's within the first year of the 360. When I say over 50% i mean world wide over 50%. The numbers from britain were pretty high. I feel bad for all the poor people who were out of warranty. This was going on from the start an Microsoft waited until 2007 to extend the warranty.  Anyway...whatever...its over now the because Microsoft remodeled it so onto other things. Arguing about the quality of the 360 vs any system until 2010 was a lost argument.

zero129 said:
bouzane said:
zero129 said:
bouzane said:
@zero129

It could be high, but out of 40% failure rate of the 360 id say about 5-10% was past the warranty, Now that still is a big number if you take into account how many 360's where sold (Again it could be higher then that its just a guess as we have no stats to base it on), but that would bring it in line with the PS3 failure rate of 10%. Anyway i still don't think the RLOD is why the 360 sold so much.

The RRoD is clearly not the reason why the 360 sold as many units as it did, but it was a contributing factor (as minor as it may be). It is worth noting that the PS3 does not have a 10% failure rate, it is closer to 5-6%.

Nope its at 10% http://uk.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study-6216691

Anyway the 360 Warranty came out in 2007. And added an extra 3 years onto the 360 warranty, so thats from 2007-2010. I'm pretty sure any console that was going to fail from release would of done so by that time, and brings my number of failed 360 that ran past that date, and from people that didn't know about the warranty into the 5-10% of 360 owners. and that brings it more inline with the PS3 failure rate.

2007-2010 for anyone who purchased a 360 from that period on. If you purchased it at launch you were screwed. 5-10%  of what was existent then equates to 325,000- 6,000,000 Xboxes affected without warranty opposed to current sales standings. Just letting you know. Its staggeringly high.

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:
snowdog said:

I'm not arguing about the % of failure rate of the PS3, but would it be really right to say that the number of 360's that was past their warranty (Not all the 360 failures, but just the ones past the 3 year warranty) would be alot higher then the % of fat PS3's that failed?. We have no statistics on this as pretty much most of that 40% failure rate for 360 was within the 3 year time frame, so id say the % of failed consoles that was past their 3 year warranty wouldn't be that high. Plus im sure alot of people swapped their fat PS3's for a slim PS3 too.

**Edit made a mistake at the end and fixed it xD, I put 360 instead of PS3**

Me saying 40% was just being nice about the 360's failure rate. In reality it was reported over 50% of the userbase had red rings of death ontop of faulty hardware issues. It would still be leagues higher than the PS3's failure rate. Look up how many people bought 360's within the first year of the 360. When I say over 50% i mean world wide over 50%. The numbers from britain were pretty high. I feel bad for all the poor people who were out of warranty. This was going on from the start an Microsoft waited until 2007 to extend the warranty.  Anyway...whatever...its over now the because Microsoft remodeled it so onto other things. Arguing about the quality of the 360 vs any system until 2010 was a lost argument.

Anyones system that failed within the first year would of been replaced under the 1 year warranty, anyones system that failed in the 2nd year would of also been replaced under the 3 year warranty. The number of people that didn't know, or had their system break after the warranty was up should be low around 5-10% like i said, so that brings it in line with the PS3 10% failure rate, that only seemed to happen around 2 years after the ps3 was released and guess what Sony did?, charge you $130 to fix it, and even then you where lucky to get around 6 months out of it....

But like you said no point in auguments over this, whats done is done.

The failure rate still had no meaning on how sucessful the 360 was and is and i think software sales tell us that.

Almost all of my friends who own 360's have had 2-4 360s. Most of them bought new ones, theres no way I'm ever going to let the repurchase attribution to sales fly. It happened alright. People who even have 360's that didnt have issues still bought special editions.  MW for sure...but the Gears bundle didnt do so well where I live.