By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U release = Start of new Gen? Agree or Disagree.

KylieDog said:
Depends on power, and a gen ends when all consoles in it stop production.

this has always been my general thought, and i agree, and have made this statement more then once.

OT:

1. yes, to bad it's 3-5 yr.'s to early for me, but i can see why ninty is moving on.

2. no 360 couldn't possibly be second place by default, except by those sticking to that fanboy thing on either side.

reveiw greenmedic, KylieDong, and my millions of post on this topic over the past 2 yr.'s for the answer to number 2. 

Around the Network

1.) The start - yes!

2.) No, but the XBox 360 and Microsoft are still winners in this generation of consoles, they were able to expand into a lot of households... While Sony is definitely the loser of this gen with going from sovereign first to a match between 2nd/3rd place... also sadly there is still no guarantee that the PS3 will overtake 360 tough claiming that the 360 will stay above the PS3 is insane in my opinion^^

1) Don't know. And don't know how any one can even take a guess at if it is a truly next gen machine till either it comes out or we at least get detailed tech specs and gameplay comparisons. If by "next gen" you mean it is coming out to compete with the next generation of consoles from MS and sony, then yes. Technologically and realistically we have no idea about it though

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo consider eachother competitors, so any console any of them release first in a new cycle will technically be "next-gen". If you're speaking strictly of technical specs, then I suppose one could lump 360/PS3 together and exclude Wii. And since the Wii U is barely a step up from 360/PS3, then I suppose you could make the case that Wii U is simply irrelevant when talking about next-gen.

But I believe all three are major players, and all of their consoles should be considered in the conversation, regardless of whether or not there are giant leaps in graphics from one machine to the other.

I don't know ;)
But would like to add that ign says WiU production costs will be 180$ with 50$ for the tablet-contr. and could end up at 300$ price tag.
"Nintendo chose an economical GPU and CPU that could keep up with the performance of today's current consoles, but keep hardware costs down to maximize profits. ..."

source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1222560p1.html

lol i'm too stupid to create a thread about this topic, sry.

Around the Network
ninty_shareholder64 said:
I don't know ;)
But would like to add that ign says WiU production costs will be 180$ with 50$ for the tablet-contr. and could end up at 300$ price tag.
"Nintendo chose an economical GPU and CPU that could keep up with the performance of today's current consoles, but keep hardware costs down to maximize profits. ..."

source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1222560p1.html

lol i'm too stupid to create a thread about this topic, sry.

there is a thread aboout that already

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

1. yes: it's the beginning of the next gen. Nintendo's console will follow the same pattern of last gen and will eventually be the "weakest" in terms of power, but success isn't dependent on processing power.

2. yes: really there is only one way to look at this. The 360 was arguably the most successful console this generation but I think if you consider the initial RROD problem it reduces it to 2nd behind the Wii in terms of success, but there is only one true loser this gen and that is Sony. Even if the PS3 eventually outells the 360, just in terms of profitability Sony is the biggest loser. But, keep in mind we may not actually see a PS4, Sony is currently failing as a company and Samsung and LG are literally going for the kill. I remember 4 or 5 years ago when the great recession began I stated that bigger companies than Sony wouldn't survive and so far I've been impressed that Sony has held on to this point, but it isn't looking good.

Yeah, power doesn't define the generation. It's obviously ahead of the wii, and the wii is apart of this gen.

I wouldn't consider the race over until all the consoles have ceased production, despite the generation ending, the main focus may, or may not be with them... PS3 may very well out-sell all the new consoles...

amp316 said:
Of course not. The Wii U might not even be this generation according to some of the rumors.

Nintendo with 2 homeconsoles in the same generation?

Wii vs Wii U

But, will it cath up the PS2?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

1. Yes. That and the X720. The PS4 will of course be of ninth generation technology.

2. No, why should this gen end when it's still active? because a new gen starts?

@ DirtyP

If the Xbox/Gamecube managed to catch the PS2 during this gen, then they would have won the sixth generation, not the PS2. But that was obviously never possible, so the PS2 was declared the winner. Same for all past gens. That's not the case for this gen.