By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console will win next gen, Xbox 720 or PS4?

Which console will win ?

Xbox 720 109 18.76%

PS4 353 60.76%

it'll be a tie 29 4.99%

See results 90 15.49%

Total:581

No concrete information on the next xbox, only rumors and still no exact launch date, launch line-up or price set for the PS4, impossible to tell at this point in time.
If some of the rumors about the next xbox are true, it could mean trouble for MS but I don't think they'll risk everything they built up in the 7th gen by filling their hardware with fees and restrictions at every turn and I think that the launch price will be quite low (350$-ish).

I honestly have no idea, the only thing I know is that it seems very unlikely right now that it will be the Wii U on top for the 8th gen. It could improve but even then there's a long climb towards anything approaching even decent sales. I don't think neither the 720 nor the PS4 will sell a bunch more though, it will be a close race like the 7th gen.

Its a real toss-up the 8th gen. At least for now. I think I'll wait until the xbox is announced and some details fall in place, there's no use trying to predict anything for anyone right now as it would be based on rumors, assumptions and wishes and not much else.

Around the Network

IMO, the head start that 360 had against PS3 also established a user-base in US where gamers couldn't consider switching onto a highly priced PS3. Also it's attributed to Microsoft's paid service for timed exclusives and a better online multi-player particularly for COD titles where gamers decided to stick on. This will shift on to the Xbox 720 a little bit, but not significantly which will be the game changer. The RROD issue undeniably took away some lead from 360 around 2007-2008. This time we'll have head-to-head competition. PS4 launching earlier can bring significant changes to how the competition fares this time around.

Moreover it's still akin to the number of quality exclusives being churned out. Sony's 1st party studios have been good at this. It's amazing how a console like PS3 even at this stage of console cycle is continuing to get pumped with quality exclusives like TLOU, Beyond Two Souls and GT6. GOW Ascension in a week!

spurgeonryan said:
Picking between the two I would say that Sony will come out on top. Sony will not go away without a fight. They were the biggest name in gaming for years! PS-PS2. They will make a comback and be better than ever. Maybe not ever, but close.

PS3-PS4 will be big as well.

Mh, and what about OUYA?

AstroMaSSi rules

AstroMaSSi said:
Mh, and what about OUYA?

I bet it'll sink without a trace.

Around the Network

We haven't even seen the consoles yet, and only know a little bit about the PS4. I'd say it way too soon to give a qualified guess.

AstroMaSSi said:
Mh, and what about OUYA?

Likely headed for obscurity, its going to fall into the void between smartphones/tablets/PC and laptop/home consoles/handhelds, there simply is no logical breaching point for it. The consumers it could have attracted don't care that its a completely open platform, they care about cheap and simple content, this they are already getting on more than one platform.

There is no market for the thing the way I see it. I could be wrong, but I doubt this piece very much. Weak hardware that warrants a new purchase every year, much like a phone/tablet (only those are driven by commercial hype and desire, the OUYA will require an upgrade simply to be usable every year), no confirmed developer support and all services available in better versions elsewhere. Its a hot mess, a bad idea and, ultimately, is headed for the very depths of obscurity, in my honest opinion.

Mummelmann said:
No concrete information on the next xbox, only rumors and still no exact launch date, launch line-up or price set for the PS4, impossible to tell at this point in time.
If some of the rumors about the next xbox are true, it could mean trouble for MS but I don't think they'll risk everything they built up in the 7th gen by filling their hardware with fees and restrictions at every turn and I think that the launch price will be quite low (350$-ish).

I honestly have no idea, the only thing I know is that it seems very unlikely right now that it will be the Wii U on top for the 8th gen. It could improve but even then there's a long climb towards anything approaching even decent sales. I don't think neither the 720 nor the PS4 will sell a bunch more though, it will be a close race like the 7th gen.

Its a real toss-up the 8th gen. At least for now. I think I'll wait until the xbox is announced and some details fall in place, there's no use trying to predict anything for anyone right now as it would be based on rumors, assumptions and wishes and not much else.

I don't think either the PS4 or Xbox3 are going to sell for anything less than $400. In fact I expect them to both cost at least  a bit over that. I would be genuinely shocked if either were $350 at launch.

Also, Nintendo had huge hits on Gamecube, the difference is, that they really experimented in some unusual ways with some of their key franchises, like Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and (in my eyes total abomination) Star Fox Assault (made by Namco, which it shouldn't have been). Point being, they went in unexpected directions with some of those games, and not all gamers took to those experiments. They all still sold well, but I know I personally just didn't care all that much for Sunshine, Wind Waker, or Double Dash especially, and while I was suckered into being stoked for Star Fox, I was mortified to find upon purchase that Namco had taken a massive shit all over what SHOULD have been an amazing follow up to SF64.

The Wii on the other hand, while it too had a couple games that experimented, like Super Mario Galaxy, the new elements they tried FIT better (planetoids, gravity physics, etc), and the game just FELT more like a Mario title. I have a feeling (couple with high hopes), that this newest 3D Mario will be far less experimental, and I hope that it will be a return to a more traditional (see: Mario 64) type take on 3D Mario gameplay, God forbid even having him finally roaming around an enormous 3D Mushroom Kingdom (instead of magical paintings, or an island, or space). Regardless, I think all in all Wii U will have the 1st party exclusives that bring in the crowds. By the time the new consoles launch, I don't think the "Wii U isn't selling and doesn't have any games" will be the perception anymore by that point.

After all, remember, many people predicted that the Vita was going to destroy the 3DS. As it turns out, not even remotely close.

DevilRising said:
Mummelmann said:

I don't think either the PS4 or Xbox3 are going to sell for anything less than $400. In fact I expect them to both cost at least  a bit over that. I would be genuinely shocked if either were $350 at launch.

Also, Nintendo had huge hits on Gamecube, the difference is, that they really experimented in some unusual ways with some of their key franchises, like Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and (in my eyes total abomination) Star Fox Assault (made by Namco, which it shouldn't have been). Point being, they went in unexpected directions with some of those games, and not all gamers took to those experiments. They all still sold well, but I know I personally just didn't care all that much for Sunshine, Wind Waker, or Double Dash especially, and while I was suckered into being stoked for Star Fox, I was mortified to find upon purchase that Namco had taken a massive shit all over what SHOULD have been an amazing follow up to SF64.

The Wii on the other hand, while it too had a couple games that experimented, like Super Mario Galaxy, the new elements they tried FIT better (planetoids, gravity physics, etc), and the game just FELT more like a Mario title. I have a feeling (couple with high hopes), that this newest 3D Mario will be far less experimental, and I hope that it will be a return to a more traditional (see: Mario 64) type take on 3D Mario gameplay, God forbid even having him finally roaming around an enormous 3D Mushroom Kingdom (instead of magical paintings, or an island, or space). Regardless, I think all in all Wii U will have the 1st party exclusives that bring in the crowds. By the time the new consoles launch, I don't think the "Wii U isn't selling and doesn't have any games" will be the perception anymore by that point.

After all, remember, many people predicted that the Vita was going to destroy the 3DS. As it turns out, not even remotely close.

I'd love a Mario 3D game with free roaming around the Mushroom Kingdom. That would be too epic, I have high expectations for that game because I loved Mario Galaxy.

Oh, I think it's too soon to make predictions about the 8th generation because we don't know anything official about the Xbox 3 and only few things about the PS4. Pricing is very important and we don't know that for the Xbox or PS4.

Wii U!

Stop hating and start playing.