By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console will win next gen, Xbox 720 or PS4?

Which console will win ?

Xbox 720 109 18.76%

PS4 353 60.76%

it'll be a tie 29 4.99%

See results 90 15.49%

Total:581

Yeh I think Microsoft will kill in USA. Sony will dominate in Europe and Japan.

Around the Network

We cannot even make an educated assumption until E3 when both have unloaded all of their launch titles.

archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:

Except for backwards compatibility for games, controller use, and no data or PSN game transfers...

Yeah, that's what no BC means...

Anyway I think bumping this thread was premature.

... which is why I mentioned them.

... twice.

Really?  So all PSN games are restricted by the the PS3/PS4 architecture difference?

Yes. Emulating them is just as complex as emulating disc games.

No way would it be as complex to emulate games like Castlevania: SOTN, Bionic Commando Rearmed or Street Fighter HD Remix as PS3 games.

Even though those games are simple, they still run on the Cell.  If you managed to make a pure emulator that could run those games then the same emulator could run disc games.

The advantage of these games being simple is Sony can do a hybrid of emulating/porting to get them to work. This is how all the PS2 games on PSN were done.

JoeTheBro said:

Even though those games are simple, they still run on the Cell.  If you managed to make a pure emulator that could run those games then the same emulator could run disc games.

The advantage of these games being simple is Sony can do a hybrid of emulating/porting to get them to work. This is how all the PS2 games on PSN were done.

Yes, and you also need enough power to be able to properly emulate.

However, back to my point in which you nitpicked over the redundancy of me distinguishing PSN games from PS3 games, along with no DS3 support, that's still three features that the WiiU allows (transfers, predecessor's library, Wiimote support) that the PS4 does not, regardless of the fact that yes, they all fall under BC.

Short answer:  I was calling out the guy I quoted, not disparaging the PS4.

PS4, just because of the support for it already, and i say Xbox 720 will lose because of the fact that Xbox's rumours actually become true. Banning of 2nd hand games, will cost it big time.

Also, i expect a tie between the 2 in the USA and UK. Price will determine everything though

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

I think Microsoft has the higher wall to climb despite coming out on top (sales wise) this gen.

In the last few years sony have made sure to keep the momentum going for the ps3 and I think that sentiment bodes well for their popularity with core gamer (early adopters).

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Ouya will win

The OUYA will fall on its ass, mark my words. Its attempting to wedge itself between markets that are already crossover markets, there is no room for it on the market. Its the hardware idea of smartphones (update every year) with a fraction of the connectivity and multimedia and the hardware will even be weaker than a phone or a tablet, the need to buy a new one every year to keep up with the games will make the low cost of 100$ per unit seem high since you'll need to purchase five to six units in the span of one console lifecycle. The vast majority of developers have their eyes set on traditional games, Freemium or simply phone/tablet contents and apps, there is no space for this thing to occupy.

OUYA will be a terrible flop. I could be wrong and will gladly admit so but find it extremely unlikely, there is no motion in the market to tell that this is a good idea that will lift properly off the ground, time will tell though, so stay tuned!

the2real4mafol said:
PS4, just because of the support for it already, and i say Xbox 720 will lose because of the fact that Xbox's rumours actually become true. Banning of 2nd hand games, will cost it big time.

Also, i expect a tie between the 2 in the USA and UK. Price will determine everything though

This..

Also you forgot the fact that PS4 is the easiest console to develop for, which means it will be the lead platform for 3rd party devs and that means the NextXbox will get inferior ports just like what happened with the ps3.

Also, Sony is making their social media/Online service much better and that will play a huge role next gen.

It's fair to say that Sony is doing all the right things to win the console war.

I think PS4 will win by a million or two, this time round it will be fair as they both will probably will release November/December.

Deyon said:
the2real4mafol said:

This..

Also you forgot the fact that PS4 is the easiest console to develop for, which means it will be the lead platform for 3rd party devs and that means the NextXbox will get inferior ports just like what happened with the ps3.

Also, Sony is making their social media/Online service much better and that will play a huge role next gen.

It's fair to say that Sony is doing all the right things to win the console war.

I didn't know Sony made PS4 that easy to develop for, but i just can't wait to see how games will look nearer the end of that generation in say 2020. Killzone and watch dogs look beast and they are just launch titles. Also, i guess i underestimated the share button lol, it is a good feature to have though. But if it does launch at $429 and $529, like a rumour said, it's all good. I find it very hard for Microsoft to beat PS4, based on that press conference.  

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018