By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your top 5 games of all time and why?

This has probably been done before lots of times but anyways...

Recently, I've been thinking about what games I would consider my favourite so I came up with the idea of this thread.

So...

Rules are:

1. Write the full game name (No abbreviations because SC could mean Soul calibur or Starcraft)

2. Give a reason. (Eg. The game had good story/gameplay... etc.)

3. Favourite moment in the game. (Eg. When the man in the chicken suit burst out of the flying shark into the sea of green bile.)

Now that I have gotten all the rules out of the way, here's my top 5: (Please do it in the same layout as me.)

1. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3D)

Reason: Love the original and the 3D remake. Great gameplay, story and I loved exploring the dungeons.

Favourite Moment: When you pull out the master sword for the first time. That was just so awesome! :D

2. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Reason: I played this game when I was quite young and it was the first Zelda game I have ever played. I loved the graphics, gameplay and story.

Favourite moment: Final boss. I won't really go into much detail but it was really epic!

3. Uncharted 2: Among thieves

Reason: It has amazing graphics, great story. The cutscenes are so dynamic and well made.

Favourite Moment: The part where you are on the train.

4. Skies of Arcadia Legends

Reason: Great RPG game. I am not an RPG fan and it's really hard for me to get into them. This game was so amazing. Even though I never finished it (Stuck on the last boss.) I love it!

Favourite Moment: If only I can remember this game more. I played it when I was quite young so it's hard to remember.

5. Pokemon Black/White

Reason: Although some of the pokemon are Trubbish, it's still a really good game. It has the best story from any of the pokemon games and lots of new and different pokemon although some deserve to go into the Trubbish bin.

Favourite moment: When you fight 'N' Zekrom Versus Reshiram. That was an awesome fight.

Around the Network

1. Final Fantasy 8
* Incredible depth of towns (There's like 8 places in that game I would want to live in), lots of ways to increase character power (not just grinding battles), lots of very powerful scenes.
* Favourite scenes are either the ending when Laguna is remembering Raine, or the scene with Laguna and Julia. Favourite place to visit was Shumi Village

2. Skies of Arcadia
* Building up crew and Cresent Island Village, the many different areas to explore (it was a big game with an interesting world, unlike just about all the huge world games after), The battle system and characters were very Chrono Trigger-esque, but better.
* Favourite moment is the time surrounding Nasrad, when Vyse is split from Fina and Aika, and to the point where they meet up again.

3. Xenogears
* Incredible story (probably the best narrative, Incredible villains, great locations,
* Discovering the Zeboim Civilization, when Id reveals himself to the Solarian fleet (and destroys the Kislev and Aveh fleets), favourite location is within Solaris.

I'll leave it at those three for now. Lunch break is over in 15 minutes and I have to eat! =(

For the record, my next favourite games are probably two of the following: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario 3, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country 2, Dragon Quest 5, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 6, or Final Fantasy 7.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

1. Final Fantasy 8
* Incredible depth of towns (There's like 8 places in that game I would want to live in), lots of ways to increase character power (not just grinding battles), lots of very powerful scenes.
* Favourite scenes are either the ending when Laguna is remembering Raine, or the scene with Laguna and Julia. Favourite place to visit was Shumi Village

2. Skies of Arcadia
* Building up crew and Cresent Island Village, the many different areas to explore (it was a big game with an interesting world, unlike just about all the huge world games after), The battle system and characters were very Chrono Trigger-esque, but better.
* Favourite moment is the time surrounding Nasrad, when Vyse is split from Fina and Aika, and to the point where they meet up again.

3. Xenogears
* Incredible story (probably the best narrative, Incredible villains, great locations,
* Discovering the Zeboim Civilization, when Id reveals himself to the Solarian fleet (and destroys the Kislev and Aveh fleets), favourite location is within Solaris.

I'll leave it at those three for now. Lunch break is over in 15 minutes and I have to eat! =(

For the record, my next favourite games are probably two of the following: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario 3, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country 2, Dragon Quest 5, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 6, or Final Fantasy 7.

How could I forget building a crew in Skies of Arcadia? 

FFVII: incredible story, gameplay and graphics. Favorite moment: Fighting SEPHIROTH!!!

MGS4: Great story (a bit convoluted), amazing gameplay, graphics and nerdgasmic cinematics. Favorite moment: killing tons of Gekos while watching Raiden fighting Vamp....TOO EPIC!!!

God of War III: The epic-ness is above everything else. terrific graphics, gameplay, and a great story. Favorite moment: The battle with Hercules, best boss fight EVER!!!

Fallout 1: This game brings so many memories. It is just a Masterpiece in every aspect. By todays standards is a bit outdated, but the memories I have while playing the game so many years ago are UNREAL!!! Killing dudes in order to get their armor. Traveling through the wasteland fighting gangs, super mutants, and death Claws. XD

And Finally: There are so many Fantastic games that I think 5 spots are too little.
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon
MGS3
FFVIII
Chrono Cross
Fallout 2
Diablo I
Dune 1 (PC)
SKYRIM
Shadow Hearts 1
Shadow Hearts 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Legacy of Kain Franchise (the story is terrific!!!!!!)

Heavenly_King said:
FFVII: incredible story, gameplay and graphics. Favorite moment: Fighting SEPHIROTH!!!

MGS4: Great story (a bit convoluted), amazing gameplay, graphics and nerdgasmic cinematics. Favorite moment: killing tons of Gekos while watching Raiden fighting Vamp....TOO EPIC!!!

God of War III: The epic-ness is above everything else. terrific graphics, gameplay, and a great story. Favorite moment: The battle with Hercules, best boss fight EVER!!!

Fallout 1: This game brings so many memories. It is just a Masterpiece in every aspect. By todays standards is a bit outdated, but the memories I have while playing the game so many years ago are UNREAL!!! Killing dudes in order to get their armor. Traveling through the wasteland fighting gangs, super mutants, and death Claws. XD

And Finally: There are so many Fantastic games that I think 5 spots are too little.
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon
MGS3
FFVIII
Chrono Cross
Fallout 2
Diablo I
Dune 1 (PC)
SKYRIM
Shadow Hearts 1
Shadow Hearts 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Legacy of Kain Franchise (the story is terrific!!!!!!)

was thinking of making it a top 10 list but that would be too much writing!

Around the Network

1. God of War III
Reason: Love everything about it, everything. It was the perfect game for me.
Favourite Moment: Entire game! Damn, it's hard to pick just one moment, it's between Poseidon or Cronos...

2. Bioshock
Reason: I love the art style, it has great gameplay, a superb story and it has a stunningly beautiful score throughout.
Favourite moment: Sander Cohen.

3. Mass Effect 2
Reason: It's full of depth and has some of the best characterisation in a game ever. Great graphics, gameplay, story and sound.
Favourite Moment: The opening probably, or just generally travelling the galaxy.

4. Gears of War
Reason: This was my favourite game for years, I think the gameplay was genre defining, the characters and story are fun and interesting, the graphics at the time were mind-blowing, still looks great now. The music is great too.
Favourite Moment: First berserker encounter.

5. Alan Wake
Reason: Great story, beautiful visuals, memorable characters, fun gameplay and an amazing musical score.
Favourite moment: The stage fight.

I also adore, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, LittleBigPlanet, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Exoddus, TES IV: Oblivion, Fable: TLC and the rest of the games from the series in my top 5 games.

1. Metroid: Prime (Gamecube)

Best game ever. Perfectly layered design. Emphatically stupendous art design. Hauntingly beautiful sound. Totally original. Perfect.

2. Metal Gear Solid (PSOne)

The sights, sounds and experiences of Snake's sojourn into Shadow Moses has been etched into the long term part of my memory due to innumerable playthroughs. Kojima will forever be remembered for this masterpiece.

3. Tony Hawk's 3 (PS2)

The control system of TH2 coupled with the then new revert system equalled a game where the sky was the limit. The cities with cars and people were a revelation. Tony's decline couldn't have been predicted - still, at the time it was unparalleled.

4. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

A testament to the genius that resides at Nintendo. Makes you forget that Sunshine ever happened. Purity in game design to the n'th degree at a time when originality was fast disappearing.

5. Zelda: Wind Waker (Gamecube)

No N64 in my country means this was my first serious taste of Link's epic. Beautiful, original and totally fun. I spent hours and hours just swiping the long cell-shaded grass. Amazing.

Dr.Grass said:

Best game ever. Perfectly layered design. Emphatically stupendous art design. Hauntingly beautiful sound. Totally original. Perfect.

The sights, sounds and experiences of Snake's sojourn into Shadow Moses has been etched into the long term part of my memory due to innumerable playthroughs. Kojima will forever be remembered for this masterpiece.

3. Tony Hawk's 3 (PS2)

The control system of TH2 coupled with the then new revert system equalled a game where the sky was the limit. The cities with cars and people were a revelation. Tony's decline couldn't have been predicted - still, at the time it was unparalleled.

A testament to the genius that resides at Nintendo. Makes you forget that Sunshine ever happened. Purity in game design to the n'th degree at a time when originality was fast disappearing.

No N64 in my country means this was my first serious taste of Link's epic. Beautiful, original and totally fun. I spent hours and hours just swiping the long cell-shaded grass. Amazing.

I don't know why people don't like sunshine. It was a good game in my eyes.

hackles said:
Dr.Grass said:

3. Tony Hawk's 3 (PS2)

I don't know why people don't like sunshine. It was a good game in my eyes.

Good =/= once-in-a-generation-experience

I 'liked' Sunshine. I thought it was a 'good game'. But COME ONE. Do I need to spell it out for you!?

1. Parasite Eve 2: I really liked the MC's attitude/ability. Nothing beats a strong confident female who fights her own battles. Best scene: Aya vs Golem army. She "stood her ground" against their sheer number before the military came to assist. I've replayed the game over 40 times!

2. Killzone 2: The more FPS games come out, the more I realize why this game is so great. Best $60 I ever spent on anything. 105 days played lol. Even when I'm currently bored with nothing else on the radar, it always gets me engaged. Server customizability is the big key that sets KZ2 apart from the competition yet sadly, the devs didn't work with what they had for the sequel.

3. Final Fantasy VIII: My first and favorite FF to date. This one is mostly sentimental value though. i really couldn't tell you why it's that great lol

4. Killer Instinct (SNES): Best fighting game ever made. Further iterations just never seemed to be as good as the original. Doing crazy combos with no bars was just sick. If anything can ever get me to buy a nintendo console again, it's another iteration of this franchise. Too bad Rare was sold to MS.

I can't think of a fifth. The one I have in mind is the SMT series but it really the series as a whole I like not a particular game

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler