By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I finished Mass Effect 3 and I LOVED it , but (Huge Spoilers)

Tagged games:

yo_john117 said:

The ending literally cannot be the worst ending ever simply because no ending is better than an ending. You could easily say the ME3 has the worst ending in any game you've ever played which would be perfectly fine since it's your opinion (even if it's slightly wrong  ) but you cannot say it's the worst ending ever because you just don't know that. As far as hype and expectations to good ending ratio go ME3 could be considered as having a very poor ending by many. 

To emphisize my last point I made a graph.

I'm sorry how can it literally not be the worst? It can be it would just be very hard to test and empirically prove. In my experience though of the thousands of pieces of media I have experienced it is the worst. 

Also in your graph the ME3 reality should be WAY below average game ending. Average game endings are usually at the very least consistent with the tone of the game and don't create massive plot holes. They also don't require fans to try and come up with theories to make them not dreadful, where the theories also don't fit in with the game's canon. Something ME3 can't claim. 

I mean seriously think about this for a second. It is generally considered that one of the absolute worst endings anything can do is the ''It was a dream'' or some variation of it. Things like Dallas and Roseanne got utterly destroyed by critics and fans for doing it. In Mass Effect 3 fans have had to come up with a theory that basically amounts to ''It was a dream'' to try and improve on the existing ending. Us fans are looking up and trying to reach the bottom of the barrel. We are envious of media where they get 'It was a dream', even with the plot holes and so forth indoctrination looks like a well thought out idea compared to what we got. 

The whole indoctrination theory would mean the story doesn't have a proper ending and would also create some pretty massive plot holes with the existing facts stated about indoctrination. It would also be totally out of character for Shep. 

Also Darc Requiem I LOVE your avatar! Perhaps the only good thing to come out of this whole thing are the Maurader Shields jokes. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Zim said:

I'm sorry how can it literally not be the worst? It can be it would just be very hard to test and empirically prove. In my experience though of the thousands of pieces of media I have experienced it is the worst. 

Also in your graph the ME3 reality should be WAY below average game ending. Average game endings are usually at the very least consistent with the tone of the game and don't create massive plot holes. They also don't require fans to try and come up with theories to make them not dreadful, where the theories also don't fit in with the game's canon. Something ME3 can't claim. 

I mean seriously think about this for a second. It is generally considered that one of the absolute worst endings anything can do is the ''It was a dream'' or some variation of it. Things like Dallas and Roseanne got utterly destroyed by critics and fans for doing it. In Mass Effect 3 fans have had to come up with a theory that basically amounts to ''It was a dream'' to try and improve on the existing ending. Us fans are looking up and trying to reach the bottom of the barrel. We are envious of media where they get 'It was a dream', even with the plot holes and so forth indoctrination looks like a well thought out idea compared to what we got. 

The whole indoctrination theory would mean the story doesn't have a proper ending and would also create some pretty massive plot holes with the existing facts stated about indoctrination. It would also be totally out of character for Shep. 

Also Darc Requiem I LOVE your avatar! Perhaps the only good thing to come out of this whole thing are the Maurader Shields jokes. 

why you say the mass effect ending is another case of " it was a dream " ? because of that last space winter scene?

I'm not saying the ending was a dream. The ending is just bad.

However the fan theory about it being an indoctrinated hallucination is just a variation of the ''It was a dream'' ending. Fans are actively hoping that instead of the dreadful ending we got that the ending is actually something that is often considered as being one of the worst ways to end something. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

yo_john117 said:
Darc Requiem said:
yo_john117 said:
RolStoppable said:
yo_john117 said:

The ending literally cannot be the worst ending ever simply because no ending is better than an ending. You could easily say the ME3 has the worst ending in any game you've ever played which would be perfectly fine since it's your opinion (even if it's slightly wrong  ) but you cannot say it's the worst ending ever because you just don't know that. As far as hype and expectations to good ending ratio go ME3 could be considered as having a very poor ending by many. 

This graph is bogus, because the average game ending doesn't motivate thousands of people to bitch endlessly about it on the internet. You can keep the value of ME3 at 750, but you should add a minus in front of it.

Like I said it's all about the hype/expecations ratio. Expectations were so high that there is no way ME3 could have had an ending that made most people happy. So because they didn't feel fulfilled, were lied to by Bioware and Activision is paying them, the internet decided to do what it always does...which is blow things sky-high out of proportions.

Snip

Too much work

Snip

The above is what Bioware said about ME3 pre-release. This isn't about gamers having unrealistic expectations, it's about Bioware not delivering what they said they would.

I addressed that up above with the lying part. There's a reason I don't pay too much attention to what devs say. 

But I guess if I would have listened and believed what they said about ME3 then I wouldn't be a very happy camper either. But I mean come on...that's like believing in fairy tales!

Bioware has an official forum and they have up, until ME3,  been pretty accurate in what they say and what occurs in their games. That's the reason the for the the reaction to the ending being as severe as it is.

Darc Requiem said:
yo_john117 said:

I addressed that up above with the lying part. There's a reason I don't pay too much attention to what devs say. 

But I guess if I would have listened and believed what they said about ME3 then I wouldn't be a very happy camper either. But I mean come on...that's like believing in fairy tales!

Bioware has an official forum and they have up, until ME3,  been pretty accurate in what they say and what occurs in their games. That's the reason the for the the reaction to the ending being as severe as it is.

I've said this before. So I won't go into too much detail agian unless you want to. (I personally thought the 3rd games story was bleh, so I didn't much care about the ending). But, from a mechanical point they didn't really lie, just underwhelmed.

there's 7 or 8 variations of endings depending on certain actions at the end (for instance if your readiness level was below 1750, earth is destroyed no matter what). And your readiness-level which is dependant upon actions in previous games (which can be completely offset by like 1 hour of mulitplayer). This was probably the laziest way to implement this.

ishiki said:
Darc Requiem said:
yo_john117 said:

I've said this before. So I won't go into too much detail agian unless you want to. (I personally thought the 3rd games story was bleh, so I didn't much care about the ending). But, from a mechanical point they didn't really lie, just underwhelmed.

there's 7 or 8 variations of endings depending on certain actions at the end (for instance if your readiness level was below 1750, earth is destroyed no matter what). And your readiness-level which is dependant upon actions in previous games (which can be completely offset by like 1 hour of mulitplayer). This was probably the laziest way to implement this.

There are "three endings" which is being generous because all the endings are essentially the same. They used the same recycled assets and they don't make sense because if the Charon Relay explodes the fate of Earth is the same no matter what your EMS is. Since the Charon and all other Relays go boom. The Sol System and just about every other system inhabited system is wiped out. Ignoring that sumo sized plot hole, you have the Alliance, Asari, Geth, Krogan, Quarian, and Salarian fleels orbiting a ruined Earth with no timely way to reach home. Turian and Quarians can't eat food from Earth. Earth is devastated and would not be able to support them if they could. That's all besides the point because you wipe out most life in Galaxy in the ending to Mass Effect no matter which color you choose. Or did Aratoht not really get wiped out in Arrival?

Around the Network
Zim said:
yo_john117 said:

I already explained the graph. You just don't understand because you were in the ridiculous expectations column so of course you were let down and think it's the most shat game ever. My expectations were that it would be at least 3/4 as awesome as the other 2 games (which is my usual expectation for games) and it exceeded those expectations so I'm perfectly fine with the game as a whole.

That's fine and dandy but your graph applies to you and only you.

Darc Requiem said:
ishiki said:
Darc Requiem said:
yo_john117 said:

There are "three endings" which is being generous because all the endings are essentially the same. They used the same recycled assets and they don't make sense because if the Charon Relay explodes the fate of Earth is the same no matter what your EMS is. Since the Charon and all other Relays go boom. The Sol System and just about every other system inhabited system is wiped out. Ignoring that sumo sized plot hole, you have the Alliance, Asari, Geth, Krogan, Quarian, and Salarian fleels orbiting a ruined Earth with no timely way to reach home. Turian and Quarians can't eat food from Earth. Earth is devastated and would not be able to support them if they could. That's all besides the point because you wipe out most life in Galaxy in the ending to Mass Effect no matter which color you choose. Or did Aratoht not really get wiped out in Arrival?

I'm not debating whether or not theres  plot holes because all of those are indeed issues I found as well, and are indeed numerous, there are other big ones that bothered me throughout.

I was just debating, that Bioware technically didn't lie on their forums. But, I guess I'm arguing semantics so bleh. haha.

A few days ago Bioware said they were 'saddened' by fans´ reaction to the ending...well, what the hell were they expecting?..did they actually think things through right before they wrote the ending?

I hope this isn´t a sign of things to come..as in the Bioware so many gamers associated with quality being replaced by a new, not so great Bioware, maybe it´s early to tell.

coolbeans said:
Kantor said:
The indoctrination may well be the real ending, but if it is, then the ending is unfinished.

I fail to see how it's indoctrination when the Prothean VI scanned you both times and only mentions "indoctrinated one" when Kai Leng enters.

Shepard wasn't indoctrinated at that point. He only becomes indoctrinated at the very end.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective