By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movie & TV Chat: A entertainment discussion thread ~ Live, Love, Enjoy movies! What did ya'll think of Joker?

What Marvel superhero do you enjoy the most?

Iron Man 1 12.50%

Thor 0 0%

Hulk 0 0%

Spiderman 1 12.50%

Xmen -post individually below 1 12.50%

Ant Man 0 0%

other Avenger -post individually below 0 0%

GotG- see above example 2 25.00%

other post below 0 0%

DC bro!!!! 3 37.50%

Total:8
pezus said:
Chris Hu said:
pezus said:

People who say 2001 is overrated just didn't "get it". Excellent movie.

So, what's the definition of a classic movie?

I guess that I din't get it then when it comes to movies on of my main criterias it that it has a comprehensible plot which 2001 totally lacks.  For that reason alone I rather watch the original "Planet of the Apes" any day of the week over 2001.  Also their are a lot of people that didn't get it or else it wouldn't have eleven and a half pages of one star reviews on imdb.

Indeed. It also wouldn't have a score of 8.4 if the majority didn't enjoy it a lot. One of the great things about 2001 is it feels so fresh, even today. I have seen nothing like it. You also said you didn't finish it? The ending is pretty awesome

I did watch it all the way through once and maybe next time I watch it I have to be totally drunk or sleep deprived and then I get it.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Chris Hu said:
pezus said:
Chris Hu said:
pezus said:

People who say 2001 is overrated just didn't "get it". Excellent movie.

So, what's the definition of a classic movie?

I guess that I din't get it then when it comes to movies on of my main criterias it that it has a comprehensible plot which 2001 totally lacks.  For that reason alone I rather watch the original "Planet of the Apes" any day of the week over 2001.  Also their are a lot of people that didn't get it or else it wouldn't have eleven and a half pages of one star reviews on imdb.

Indeed. It also wouldn't have a score of 8.4 if the majority didn't enjoy it a lot. One of the great things about 2001 is it feels so fresh, even today. I have seen nothing like it. You also said you didn't finish it? The ending is pretty awesome

I did watch it all the way through once and maybe next time I watch it I have to be totally drunk or sleep deprived and then I get it.

Or just allow your mind to enjoy the film without it having a proper plot, it's a work of art!

If I really wanted to see great art I could just go to the Kimbell Art Museum which holds one of the best art collection in the US.  I think that would probably be a much better investment of my time then re watching 2001.

spurgeonryan said:
Anyone ever see the movie Robot Jox? Did you enjoy it?

Never heard of it or saw it but doing a bit of research it doesn't sound very promising 4.7 rating on imdb but what's even worse is its box office number only cost $10 million dollars to make which is a relatively small budget even for 1990 and when adjusted for inflation and it only made $1,272,977 so it made less then one tenth back of its budget from the box office.

It did get a DVD release in 2005 must have been very limited though since I never saw it in any stores but their still must be some unsold copies out there since you can buy it new on Amazon for $8.49 probably would have a look at it if it was on Netflix just to see how bad it really is.

pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Easy guys! I will watch it this week to see how it is then I will administer my recommendations.

Indeed. Go in with an open mind and don't expect a plot that makes sense. Then you're good to go

Did you guys read the book? That makes a big difference as well, especially for the ending.

Top 5 pre '70 for me

2001 (1968)
Ben Hur (1959)
Spartacus (1960)
Planet of the apes (1968)
Jungle book (1967)
runners up: Journey to the center of the earth (1959), Bridge on the river Kwai (1957), Psycho (1960)

I have to watch Dr Strangelove again. I saw it in my student years, drunk and sleep deprived, can't remember much of it.

Around the Network

Ugh, I still need to read The Hunger Games and watch The Lorax. So much to do! XD

Going to watch one of the worst movies in the world tonight. Alien vs Hunter. A classic "mockbuster" so bad it achieved #5 in IMDB's bottom 100. I'll try and report my views on the film at some point tonight. Wish me luck......

@Spurgeonryan: The poll's missing Mystery Men! :D

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
pezus said:
SvennoJ said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Easy guys! I will watch it this week to see how it is then I will administer my recommendations.

Indeed. Go in with an open mind and don't expect a plot that makes sense. Then you're good to go

Did you guys read the book? That makes a big difference as well, especially for the ending.

Top 5 pre '70 for me

2001 (1968)
Ben Hur (1959)
Spartacus (1960)
Planet of the apes (1968)
Jungle book (1967)
runners up: Journey to the center of the earth (1959), Bridge on the river Kwai (1957), Psycho (1960)

I have to watch Dr Strangelove again. I saw it in my student years, drunk and sleep deprived, can't remember much of it.

No, I actually did not. Did not even know there was a book, or maybe I had just forgotten it. How is it written lol, I can't imagine?

The book series is great, one of my favorites. Arthur C Clarke is a great writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_%28novel%29
There is a good section on the difference between the movie and the book. There's nothing about the end sequence, but it's easy to understand that works a lot better in book form where you read the thought process of Bowman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_Odyssey_Two
Was released as a movie too in 1984

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2061:_Odyssey_Three

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3001:_The_Final_Odyssey

His Rama series is great too and I hope that that will get a movie adaptation some day.
Morgan Freeman is still rooting for one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/
It dit have a video game in 1984 but it wasn't all that fun. It felt more like an eleborate IQ test. Gameplay was basically collecting puzzle pieces for mostly 'what's missing or next in this logical sequence of symbols' puzzles.

spurgeonryan said:
thekitchensink said:
@Spurgeonryan: The poll's missing Mystery Men! :D

:P No its not, it was listed under "I hate him" or other.

From what I remember it was a decent Vhs movie. But I would have asked for my money back if I had paid for a movie ticket for it.

I just remember the "Good Burger" kid being in it. Furthermore, that time frame in history seemed to be the height of William H. Macy's career.

Really?  I saw it in theaters twice!  And while everything you say at the end is true, I see all those things as positives :P

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."