By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movie & TV Chat: A entertainment discussion thread ~ Live, Love, Enjoy movies! What did ya'll think of Joker?

What Marvel superhero do you enjoy the most?

Iron Man 1 12.50%

Thor 0 0%

Hulk 0 0%

Spiderman 1 12.50%

Xmen -post individually below 1 12.50%

Ant Man 0 0%

other Avenger -post individually below 0 0%

GotG- see above example 2 25.00%

other post below 0 0%

DC bro!!!! 3 37.50%

Total:8
pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
mushroomboy5 said:

You summed up why the movie is so great! The music in the background when little was said really made the movie. I always like a bit of the ol' ultra violence too

The music was nice, but I regret spending hours watching a movie for the music and the opening scene. Just style over substance, and the style couldn't carry it. 

Style is very important to me for movies. And when we have a plot that isn't just "America this, guns that, robots etc.", I'd say style is just as important (if not more) as the story. It was refreshing to see a movie with so little dialogue. I certainly don't regret the hours I spent watching the movie, some of the best movie hours I've spent in the cinema recently.

Yeh, atmosphere and aesthetic is also very important for me, I added in 'and the style couldn't carry it' because I do think a movie can focus on that aspect and still get the rest right, unfortunately I didn't feel that Drive did. 

And I see the defense of 'makes a change from all the empty action blockbusters' etc argument all the time when it comes to this movie, especially referencing transformers, but I feel that Drive was just as vapid as those productions. There was nothing interesting about the plot or characterization, they were just as cookie-cutter as any regular action movie (and in the case of the various little-town 'bad guys' downright embarassing) except the narrative needlessly advanced at a snail's pace and so people thinks its OMGSODEEP. The actors did a decent job with their lines, but that's all I could take away from it.

There just wasn't anything inspired in the movie, it felt completely pandering and forced. In comparison, I take my favourite 'little-town' crime movie, Mean Streets, and I see a passion and originality and pacing that were all, for me, absent from Drive. It just seemed artifical. 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
mushroomboy5 said:

You summed up why the movie is so great! The music in the background when little was said really made the movie. I always like a bit of the ol' ultra violence too

The music was nice, but I regret spending hours watching a movie for the music and the opening scene. Just style over substance, and the style couldn't carry it. 

Style is very important to me for movies. And when we have a plot that isn't just "America this, guns that, robots etc.", I'd say style is just as important (if not more) as the story. It was refreshing to see a movie with so little dialogue. I certainly don't regret the hours I spent watching the movie, some of the best movie hours I've spent in the cinema recently.

Yeh, atmosphere and aesthetic is also very important for me, I added in 'and the style couldn't carry it' because I do think a movie can focus on that aspect and still get the rest right, unfortunately I didn't feel that Drive did. 

And I see the defense of 'makes a change from all the empty action blockbusters' etc argument all the time when it comes to this movie, especially referencing transformers, but I feel that Drive was just as vapid as those productions. There was nothing interesting about the plot or characterization, they were just as cookie-cutter as any regular action movie (and in the case of the various little-town 'bad guys' downright embarassing) except the narrative needlessly advanced at a snail's pace and so people thinks its OMGSODEEP. The actors did a decent job with their lines, but that's all I could take away from it.

There just wasn't anything inspired in the movie, it felt completely pandering and forced. In comparison, I take my favourite 'little-town' crime movie, Mean Streets, and I see a passion and originality and pacing that were all, for me, absent from Drive. It just seemed artifical. 

"Artificial" is the name of the game. Not all movies should fill into the same mode, and no, transformers is in no way as good as Drive. For one, the actors are abysmal, the director does not know anything else but explosions, guns, hot babes, and "fuck yeah, 'Merica". I don't think Drive is "OMGSODEEP" just that the movie was very stimulating to me in many ways. Music, badass style, good actors, and a basic BUT enjoyable plot. I know you'll never agree with me but that's just the way of the world.

It's ok it's a debate, we're just expressing individual opinions. I suppose I feel like I need to be vocal about it because the movie seemed like exactly the sort of thing I love and had gotten some rave reviews, but I left baadly burned.

pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
pezus said:

"Artificial" is the name of the game. Not all movies should fill into the same mode, and no, transformers is in no way as good as Drive. For one, the actors are abysmal, the director does not know anything else but explosions, guns, hot babes, and "fuck yeah, 'Merica". I don't think Drive is "OMGSODEEP" just that the movie was very stimulating to me in many ways. Music, badass style, good actors, and a basic BUT enjoyable plot. I know you'll never agree with me but that's just the way of the world.

It's ok it's a debate, we're just expressing individual opinions. I suppose I feel like I need to be vocal about it because the movie seemed like exactly the sort of thing I love and had gotten some rave reviews, but I left baadly burned.

I had barely even heard of the movie before I saw it so I was very, very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. 

Youre the lucky one

pezus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
pezus said:

I had barely even heard of the movie before I saw it so I was very, very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. 

Youre the lucky one

Indeed. I was lucky yesterday too, when I went to see The Cabin in the Woods. When it was over I overheard a group of people talking about how bad it was. Lmao. Have you seen it yet? 

No, what's the deal with it?

Big respect for the purchase of Laurel & Hardy.

Around the Network

top 5 movies in no order

saw
martyrs
terminator 1
pointbreak
halloween

i usually watch alot of movies 2-3 per week more depending whats on tv, saw cabin in the woods last night thought it was super meh, damn imdb ratings

Play Me

Recently saw Funny people. Hilarious :)

I guess I'm a little late for the Drive discussion, but I rented it last night since it was on sale on Amazon. And I LOVED IT!! I was completely hooked to the driver's character despite not knowing much about him including his name and backstory. I guess that's why I was drawn to his character since he was a complete mystery, and I also enjoyed how he was mostly quite and emotionless. It kind of showed that he had a very disturbing past.

I also saw J. Edgar since it was also on sale, and I'm a big fan of both Eastwood and DiCaprio. I heard it wasn't as good as we hoped for, and sadly, I have to agree with the general consensus. The movie lacked focus and drive. There was too much stuff going on, and it seemed like the movie had no idea what it wanted to be. Also, the old make-up for the Clyde character was laughably bad. The acting was pretty good, which is probably the only thing I liked about the film.

Lastly, can't wait for The Avengers. I hope I can convince a few of my co-workers to skip work and watch the film.

Am I the only one who thinks there should be another Toy Story Movie?

Just watched Tinker Tailor again, so perfectly paced.
Tomas Alfredson, now there's a director that knows how to do a slow paced, dialogue-light movie..in fact I think he does it better than anyone else today.