By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is evolution based on empirical science?

KungKras said:

It must take a very closed mind to NOT accept evolution as a proven fact.

wow. where is all of this cold hard eveidence than? Fact is evolution is still not a fact. Let alone a proven fact. It is just the only viable theory we have on how life came to be, but it is most certainly not a proven fact. Yes there is evedence for it, but to be a proven fact it takes more than evidence. It has to be undeniable and overwhelming eveidnece or reproducable in a controlled enviroment. which we do not have yet. Its very closed minded to take snippets of information and form a "fact" from it that you can not prove.

EDIT: I do believe in evoltion myself so i am not going to argue against it. But i do realize there are some holes in it, and it isn't reproducable in a lab experiment as far as i know.

Around the Network

if i ever came to doubt that one species could evolve into another i would go to the zoo and look a wolf, then i would google "Paris Hilton" and look at the dog she carries around in her purse, and then i would throw up

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Dogs evolved from wolves (or a wolf/dog common ancestor) to a wide variety of different breeds. This has been observed by humans and continues to be observed by numerous dog breeders. Compare a wolf:

to these:

I don't see how you can't believe evolution...Evolution is compatible with religion. If anything, you could look at as a way god made us stronger. He gave us the ability to adapt to our environment so that we may better live in it and other species likewise.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
I don't see how you can't believe evolution...Evolution is compatible with religion. If anything, you could look at as a way god made us stronger. He gave us the ability to adapt to our environment so that we may better live in it and other species likewise.

Why would God create animals and environments that aren't entirely compatible? Why would he use such a brutal and long method of making animals adapt? Why would he want animals to need to adapt? 

Around the Network
thranx said:
KungKras said:

wow. where is all of this cold hard eveidence than? Fact is evolution is still not a fact. Let alone a proven fact. It is just the only viable theory we have on how life came to be, but it is most certainly not a proven fact. Yes there is evedence for it, but to be a proven fact it takes more than evidence. It has to be undeniable and overwhelming eveidnece or reproducable in a controlled enviroment. which we do not have yet. Its very closed minded to take snippets of information and form a "fact" from it that you can not prove.

It may as well be a fact. It's been oberved, tested and proven. There are some details of evolution that are unknown, but we know that evolution does occur. We even manipulate molecular evolution to help create therapeutic proteins and biochemicals. If it wasn't fact, then many drugs wouldn't exist. 

@ bolded

That's not actually evolution. Evolution explains life's diversity, but not the origins.

Scoobes said:
thranx said:
KungKras said:

It may as well be a fact. It's been oberved, tested and proven. There are some details of evolution that are unknown, but we know that evolution does occur. We even manipulate molecular evolution to help create therapeutic proteins and biochemicals. If it wasn't fact, then many drugs wouldn't exist. 

@ bolded

That's not actually evolution. Evolution explains life's diversity, but not the origins.

that is what i meant. No one was talking origin of life so i din't clarify that well. I dont argue that we can't manipulate it and that it hasn't occured. I completly agree. I am only saying it is very close minded to not acknowledge that we have not been able to proove and recreate evolution so we can not say it is an absolute fact. Doing so makes science into more of religion or faith based instead of fact based. I dont want science to go down that path. When we can proove it with out any doubt by recreating it than it will be a fact. Faith should be left to religion not science.

Its been observed, but not tested and proven.

OoSnap said:

Have we ever observed a reptile evolve into a bird? Have we ever observed molecules evolve into a life form? Nope and nope.

No, but what we all have actually observed is a human (you at birth) evolving into a monkey (you now).

Instead of posting a bullshit creatonism thread every other weak, why don't you go to school and LEARN about science?

thranx said:
Scoobes said:
thranx said:
KungKras said:

@ bolded

that is what i meant. No one was talking origin of life so i din't clarify that well. I dont argue that we can't manipulate it and that it hasn't occured. I completly agree. I am only saying it is very close minded to not acknowledge that we have not been able to proove and recreate evolution so we can not say it is an absolute fact. Doing so makes science into more of religion or faith based instead of fact based. I dont want science to go down that path. When we can proove it with out any doubt by recreating it than it will be a fact. Faith should be left to religion not science.

Its been observed, but not tested and proven.

It's been tested on the bacterial scale. An ongoing experiment with E.coli over the last 20+ years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

So there's at least one aspect of evolution that's been tested and proven. Of course there are gaps in knowledge and there's still far more we need to discover. That's the fun of science though

drkohler said:
OoSnap said:

Have we ever observed a reptile evolve into a bird? Have we ever observed molecules evolve into a life form? Nope and nope.

No, but what we all have actually observed is a human (you at birth) evolving into a monkey (you now).

Instead of posting a bullshit creatonism thread every other weak, why don't you go to school and LEARN about science?

I don't say this often, but this comment more than deserves it: This