By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Journey gets 2/5 review for having no gameplay and being too easy

Tagged games:

naruball said:

..."By limiting the method of communication, Bell found the communication that did take place held more meaning to players. When testing Journey, Bell found he could immediately recognise which of his co-workers was in the game based on the patterns of their chirps and singing.

Some used rapid chirps while others sang in longer, deeper notes, with the meaning behind those patterns defined by the players rather than by the game itself. Players could create a new language for the game that would transcend any real-world language barriers.

The next challenge was to tie that communication into gameplay. Bell and thatgamecompany did so by allowing chirps and singing to restore a nearby player's ability to jump and fly. Once implemented, users began playing closer together, and used reciprocity to reach new heights and solve puzzles in new ways. "

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a371595/journey-designing-for-friendship-feature.html

That's exactly what happened to me. On the first time playing. Figuring that out and then almost instantly finding myself and my sexy mysterious stranger using that ability to get to places that were seemingly out of reach without even being able to communicate was really something else. thatgamecompany is absolutely peerless, IMO.

I'd never felt such a connection to anyone in a game before. Anytime we'd lose sight of each other, I'd get all panicky. My separation anxiety was so strong that towards the end, the other guy missed a jump and fell off a cliff. Rather than risk losing him for good, I turned around and jumped right in after him.

Around the Network

What a mess of a review site.

A tiny few paragraphs on the Forza 4 review saying the reviewers only got halfway through the game and he uses the driving line and it's too easy and not enough life NFS Shift..

A Soul Calibur 5 review where the guy says blocking is too hard (one button?) and he wants stats back on customizable equipment, something that practically every fighting game fan asked to be removed because it was unbalanced shit.

A Journey review where the guy levels NO valid criticisms against the game. Just insults.

An Uncharted review where the guy seems to dislike literally every damn thing in the game and throws as many insults at it as he can, just like the Journey review.

Move on people, just a garbage pit of a review site.

Sal.Paradise said:

A tiny few paragraphs on the Forza 4 review saying the reviewers only got halfway through the game and he uses the driving line and it's too easy and not enough life NFS Shift..

A Soul Calibur 5 review where the guy says blocking is too hard (one button?) and he wants stats back on customizable equipment, something that practically every fighting game fan asked to be removed because it was unbalanced shit.

A Journey review where the guy levels NO valid criticisms against the game. Just insults.

An Uncharted review where the guy seems to dislike literally every damn thing in the game and throws as many insults at it as he can, just like the Journey review.

I fully blame metacritic for this. Seriously, why include this review and not the one from gamrReview? He got hits just for trolling thanks to Metacritic.

Sal.Paradise said:

But they are on Metacritic, therefore they matter

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I wish people didn't care so much about metacritic...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
badgenome said:
naruball said:

..."By limiting the method of communication, Bell found the communication that did take place held more meaning to players. When testing Journey, Bell found he could immediately recognise which of his co-workers was in the game based on the patterns of their chirps and singing.

Some used rapid chirps while others sang in longer, deeper notes, with the meaning behind those patterns defined by the players rather than by the game itself. Players could create a new language for the game that would transcend any real-world language barriers.

The next challenge was to tie that communication into gameplay. Bell and thatgamecompany did so by allowing chirps and singing to restore a nearby player's ability to jump and fly. Once implemented, users began playing closer together, and used reciprocity to reach new heights and solve puzzles in new ways. "

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a371595/journey-designing-for-friendship-feature.html

That's exactly what happened to me. On the first time playing. Figuring that out and then almost instantly finding myself and my sexy mysterious stranger using that ability to get to places that were seemingly out of reach without even being able to communicate was really something else. thatgamecompany is absolutely peerless, IMO.

I'd never felt such a connection to anyone in a game before. Anytime we'd lose sight of each other, I'd get all panicky. My separation anxiety was so strong that towards the end, the other guy missed a jump and fell off a cliff. Rather than risk losing him for good, I turned around and jumped right in after him.

lmao

Machina said:
Ajescent said:
pezus said:

Why is this on metacritic and not vgchartz gamrReview?

That would be my excuse...

You underlined the wrong name. That's my theory anyway.

I agree, I've always looked down upon Metacritic (my horse is a bit high at the moment) but this thread seems to be Rome so...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Its one ad review in a sea of good ones why is it such a big deal. Not everyone's gonna think its good. It didn't seem like a troll review more how he felt.

I'm surprised no one wrote "Don't stop believeing" yet. Oh hell, I'll just do it then.

The man's opinion seems legitimate. The only issue here is trying to combine various opinions into some sort of numerical aggregate.

Tom Chick is fairly notorious for his somewhat harsh reviews. For examples, search for his reviews of Deus Ex or Gears 3. On the other hand, he gives much praise to titles like Portal 2.

He seems to favor games that focus primarily on new gameplay experiences, and do their best not to take themselves too seriously. In his review of Uncharted 3, he praised the story-telling and characters, but ultimately gave the game low marks for what he considered to be unfulfilling and linear gameplay.

It makes sense that a game like Journey, one that emphasizes atmosphere and presentation with little regard to anything else, wouldn't be his cup of tea.