By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Journey gets 2/5 review for having no gameplay and being too easy

Tagged games:

M.U.G.E.N said:
theprof00 said:
wowzers.
The game went WAY over his head.

Looks like he

"puts on sunglasses"

Took the wrong Journey

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
Its one ad review in a sea of good ones why is it such a big deal. Not everyone's gonna think its good. It didn't seem like a troll review more how he felt.

the point is: why include a blogger's review and not this one http://www.gamrreview.com/review/88882/journey/

There has to be some kind of standard or no standard at all (i.e. include every single review anyone posts). It might not matter to you on a personal level, but a whole lot of people base their decision on whether to buy a game or not on Meta and only go for 90+ games. In all honesty, had I not seen universal praise for the game, I would have skipped it, since I already have more than 60 games that I own and never got to play. I would have probably missed out on one of the most unique experiences that a video game can offer.

Looks like he didn't get the co-op interaction this game offers. Maybe just unlucky on who he met or was simply ignoring everyone to get the review done asap.

I completed my 9th Journey last night which almost lasted 4 hours. We were expertly keeping each other in the air without touching the ground for over 20 minutes at a time, reaching new heights and places we had not been before and probably weren't meant to be. We found some shortcuts and a secret passage in the underground level were the first patrolling stone kite is.

Behind a high up window there was a new area with a suspended stone kite. We tried landing on it but it through us on the ground in the dark depths. We were lost in there for a good half hour flying around in the dark almost hypnotized by the rhythmic dinging and bright white flashes while dancing around in the air. Finally we spotted the stone kite again and had some direction where find the window where we came in. It took another 15 minutes to figure out a way to reach that height again to land on the window ledge and get back in the official level,

We continued flying to the exit, relieved to be out in familiar territory again. But while flying over the stone kits at the chase scene something went wrong. They gave chase and I tried to follow as fast as possible. The last I saw of my companion was his cloak dissolving at the edge of the safe zone. I've never felt so alone in a video game after that. The game play in Journey may be simple but absolutely brilliant.

I trudged along to the end by myself determined to find out his/her name to be able to send a message to find out what happened. This is the first game that has ever compelled me to contact a total stranger. And for the second time already. After a previous journey I received a message in Japanese that intrigued me even more after understanding each other perfectly in game.

Anyway out of 9 journeys all have been different and rewarding experiences. The final trophy "don't play for a week" will be the hardest to get. I'll be playing again tonight to find out who I'll encounter this time and what they will do.

makingmusic476 said:

The man's opinion seems legitimate. The only issue here is trying to combine various opinions into some sort of numerical aggregate.

Tom Chick is fairly notorious for his somewhat harsh reviews. For examples, search for his reviews of Deus Ex or Gears 3. On the other hand, he gives much praise to titles like Portal 2.

He seems to favor games that focus primarily on new gameplay experiences, and do their best not to take themselves too seriously. In his review of Uncharted 3, he praised the story-telling and characters, but ultimately gave the game low marks for what he considered to be unfulfilling and linear gameplay.

It makes sense that a game like Journey, one that emphasizes atmosphere and presentation with little regard to anything else, wouldn't be his cup of tea.

Find me a legitimate criticism in this Journey review, seriously. Tell me how this is a legitimate review. 

" Journey is yet another game in which you control a little dude who sometimes jumps."

Tells me nothing about the quality of the game. Useless. 

"It’s certainly a pretty game, if somewhat monochromatic."

Ok, not enough colours? Looks colourful to me. Don't know what else you want in a desert but ok, fine. Is this even a criticism? 

"... though a limp-to-the-finish finale, and into a supposedly rapturous conclusion."

What does this mean? Why is it 'limp-to-the-finish?' Why is the conclusion not as rapturous as the developers think it is? WHY?

" But it mostly reminded me of some of the dull and barely interactive bits of Uncharted 3. "

Why? What parts of Journey? What made you feel like this? This guy can't seem to explain WHY he makes these statements. 

"There’s no challenge and no real gameplay, which isn’t necessarily a criticism. "

Why even mention this if it's not necessarily a criticism, and you don't expand on the statement at all? Useless. 

"without any meaningful way to interact with you unless you both know Morse code."

Contrary to every comment I've ever seen that the singing and co-op mechanics are elegantly implemented and more than enough to progress without frustration, but whatever, I can accept it.

In conclusion, 2/5.

Fucking pathetic piece of writing. I wouldn't normally get angry about reviews but now that we know good companies can be negatively affected by arbitrary Metacritic scores (Obsidian) this sort of throw-away criticism is unnaceptable. 

naruball said:
Mad55 said:
Its one ad review in a sea of good ones why is it such a big deal. Not everyone's gonna think its good. It didn't seem like a troll review more how he felt.

the point is: why include a blogger's review and not this one http://www.gamrreview.com/review/88882/journey/

There has to be some kind of standard or no standard at all (i.e. include every single review anyone posts). It might not matter to you on a personal level, but a whole lot of people base their decision on whether to buy a game or not on Meta and only go for 90+ games. In all honesty, had I not seen universal praise for the game, I would have skipped it, since I already have more than 60 games that I own and never got to play. I would have probably missed out on one of the most unique experiences that a video game can offer.

while that might be the case. You could argue that you're missing other similar experiences, just because the metascore isn't 90+. For instance, I think most games find most 90+ games, not a 90+ game. 

However, I'm still probably missing other great games. I think It's even worse if a reviewer feels they have to give it a 90+ out of charity when they feel they deserves it. You can argue reviews need to be better written. But, there's likely some positive reviews that are written poorly as well.

Now VGC not being included in metacritic is their issue, and I'm not sure if they're trying to get on it or what.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Mad55 said:

Cause metacritic is crazy.

Hopefully thatgamecompany will release a patch soon adding gameplay.