By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 3 ending sucks BIG TIME!!!

badgenome said:
noname2200 said:

Actually, my post was merely Part 1, Section 1 of why I don't like the ending. I entitle Part 1 the "Not At All Set Up" portion of my answer. Section 2 of Part 1 was going to mention the fact that, if Starchild is correct and synthetics from other galaxies would eventually come here to do what he claims, it logically should have happened already, since there are a ton of galaxies and everything indicates that the Reapers only operate in ours.

I think it was actually just, "Your kids will make synthetics one day and this shit will happen all over again." Not to take up for Bioshit's godawful writing or anything.

It was both. He mentions that "if we don't stop them, they'll stop us. And then they'll go out and end other galaxies. Won't someone think of the other galaxies, Shepard!"

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
badgenome said:
noname2200 said:

Actually, my post was merely Part 1, Section 1 of why I don't like the ending. I entitle Part 1 the "Not At All Set Up" portion of my answer. Section 2 of Part 1 was going to mention the fact that, if Starchild is correct and synthetics from other galaxies would eventually come here to do what he claims, it logically should have happened already, since there are a ton of galaxies and everything indicates that the Reapers only operate in ours.

I think it was actually just, "Your kids will make synthetics one day and this shit will happen all over again." Not to take up for Bioshit's godawful writing or anything.

It was both. He mentions that "if we don't stop them, they'll stop us. And then they'll go out and end other galaxies. Won't someone think of the other galaxies, Shepard!"

I am 100% positive that this particular line was never said. Other galaxies are never mentioned.

Khuutra said:

I am 100% positive that this particular line was never said. Other galaxies are never mentioned.

Odd, I could have sworn it was. Oh well then, strike that part.

Zim said:
You know I kept seeing topics like this and thinking ''Oh it can't be that bad''. People complain about endings for everything.

Now some background for you. Mass Effect is my favourite game series. It may in fact be my favourite narrative series of any media (books, films, tv series etc). Garrus is again possibly my favourite character in anything. I loved every single moment of ME1, ME2 and ME3.........

Except the last 15minutes. I have never ever seen such a catastrophically bad ending. I mean even the Death Note anime which has one of the best first halves of any series then an embarrassingly terrible second half looks like a masterpiece compared to this.

It simply doesn't fit in with the trilogy in the slightest. Nor does it fit with what they said. They talked about how choices you made would mean the ending was special to you. However really there is just one ending with tiny variations. ME3 is FULL of amazing consequences. That one guy you spoke to for 10minutes, coming back up and how you treated him being important. Yet the ending nothing you did really matters. That ending had no relevance to MY Shepard.

Just crazy how poorly it's handled. For the ending to a trilogy it is shockingly short, it creates entirely new pieces of lore in this time that don't necessarily fit the universe, gives almost zero closure, is totally out of tone with the other 100 hours or so of games and ignores any player preference! Well and truly maddening. The lack of closure is the worse thing. The entire point of the game is getting support from different factions, then the ending doesn't even show what if anything has happened to them.

I don't even understand how they messed up so bad. The ending of ME2 was great. Relationships and how prepared you were mattered. You had to make choices that had consequences but you could choose based on how you viewed your character etc.

This and Tali's face really make me wonder if Bioware actually purposefully wanted to make some fans angry.

It is precisely why the indoctrination theory holds so much weight. That nonsensical ending sequence after Shepard goes unconcious from the Reaper attack seems to indicate he is in a dream/being indoctrinated when he is talking to the boy-God.

I mean, think about it. Whywould the boy-God be a boy in the first place? If what some people believe about the boy not existing at all earlier is true, then there's the possibility that the Reapers drew from his mind to use the boy's image. I don't think the Reapers were able to project the imagination of the boy into Shepard's mind that time on Earth and each time he slept. And if the boy actually did exist was he a projection of the boy-God the whole time? I doubt it.

A lot of things combine in those 15 minutes that seem to support the indoctrination theory, IMO.

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:
Zim said:
You know I kept seeing topics like this and thinking ''Oh it can't be that bad''. People complain about endings for everything.

Now some background for you. Mass Effect is my favourite game series. It may in fact be my favourite narrative series of any media (books, films, tv series etc). Garrus is again possibly my favourite character in anything. I loved every single moment of ME1, ME2 and ME3.........

Except the last 15minutes. I have never ever seen such a catastrophically bad ending. I mean even the Death Note anime which has one of the best first halves of any series then an embarrassingly terrible second half looks like a masterpiece compared to this.

It simply doesn't fit in with the trilogy in the slightest. Nor does it fit with what they said. They talked about how choices you made would mean the ending was special to you. However really there is just one ending with tiny variations. ME3 is FULL of amazing consequences. That one guy you spoke to for 10minutes, coming back up and how you treated him being important. Yet the ending nothing you did really matters. That ending had no relevance to MY Shepard.

Just crazy how poorly it's handled. For the ending to a trilogy it is shockingly short, it creates entirely new pieces of lore in this time that don't necessarily fit the universe, gives almost zero closure, is totally out of tone with the other 100 hours or so of games and ignores any player preference! Well and truly maddening. The lack of closure is the worse thing. The entire point of the game is getting support from different factions, then the ending doesn't even show what if anything has happened to them.

I don't even understand how they messed up so bad. The ending of ME2 was great. Relationships and how prepared you were mattered. You had to make choices that had consequences but you could choose based on how you viewed your character etc.

This and Tali's face really make me wonder if Bioware actually purposefully wanted to make some fans angry.

It is precisely why the indoctrination theory holds so much weight. That nonsensical ending sequence after Shepard goes unconcious from the Reaper attack seems to indicate he is in a dream/being indoctrinated when he is talking to the boy-God.

I mean, think about it. Whywould the boy-God be a boy in the first place? If what some people believe about the boy not existing at all earlier is true, then there's the possibility that the Reapers drew from his mind to use the boy's image. I don't think the Reapers were able to project the imagination of the boy into Shepard's mind that time on Earth and each time he slept. And if the boy actually did exist was he a projection of the boy-God the whole time? I doubt it.

A lot of things combine in those 15 minutes that seem to support the indoctrination theory, IMO.

Right but the problem with that theory is if it turns out to be true then we don't even actually have an ending. It would be like if star wars ended just before the fight between Vader and Luke and destroying the Death Star. The theory fits with the dreadful ending we have been given mostly, however it means the game hasn't even ended. It would mean that Shep is knocked out just before reaching the beam, thus him waking up in the rubble in the destroy/fight indoctrination ending. The war is still going on and we are still waiting to see what the outcome is. 

However the indoctrination theory is pretty flim flam and fanmade. It still doesn't explain everything, like how even in some endings after Shep is 'dead' or has resisted the indoctrination you see the normandy land. If he has already accepted indoctrination or resisted it then why would that normandy scene exist? The scene with the old man telling the child about 'The Shepard' etc. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

Seriously people deal with it. It is not the end of the world. Still got a few months to go. Entire gaming internet is raging over it. Blahh.

green_sky said:
Seriously people deal with it. It is not the end of the world. Still got a few months to go. Entire gaming internet is raging over it. Blahh.

Die in a fire.

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:

Counter-point; Mass Effect is a pulp sci-fi series which has hitherto shown roughly zero sense of subtlety when it comes to its plot (or themes).

This entire thing is akin to the Zelda Timeline: trying to fit things which were never meant to fit together is ultimately a fruitless exercise.

green_sky said:

Steps Three and Four in the Stages of Grief are _________.

zero129 said:
noname2200 said:
Vertigo-X said:

Counter-point; Mass Effect is a pulp sci-fi series which has hitherto shown roughly zero sense of subtlety when it comes to its plot (or themes).

This entire thing is akin to the Zelda Timeline: trying to fit things which were never meant to fit together is ultimately a fruitless exercise.

That's wrong on so many levels. Up to this games ending, Mass Effect has been very consistent. And everything would of fitted together if they would of gave us the multi ending's  we where promised, and how our choices in the other games, plus our choices in this game would lead to that. Instead we get pretty much one ending. And how you can compare Mass Effect to Zelda's Timeline is beyond me, As ME is a trilogy, its story is ment to fit together, and does right up until the last few minutes of the end. Zelda on the other hand is not..

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me completely. The first part of my post is in line with your own assertions. The Indoctrination Theory requires the player to peice together a series of small and subtle events to understand the "true meaning" of the series. That would be appropriate if this were, say, Silent Hill. But Mass Effect has not taken that approach in three two and 99%/100% games. There is no reason to think it started in the final portion of a hundred-hour saga.

You also miscomprehend the second part of what I said. I am not comparing the stories of the two series. I am comparing the efforts some fans put in peicing together the Indoctrination Theory to the effort some fans put into peicing all the Zelda games together into one timeline.

zero129 said:

I never said anything about the Indoctrination Theory.

But Vertigo-X did, and the post you quoted was a response to him. When I later say "in line with your own assertions," I referred specifically to your statement that "p to this games ending, Mass Effect has been very consistent." Unless I completely misunderstand what you mean by that.