By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 3 ending sucks BIG TIME!!!

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
AndrewWK said:
We all agree the ME3 sucked. Let´s hope Mass Effect 4 will be brilliant again

Nop...

And i dont think they will make another game based on mass effect (no more rpgs , maibe another studio milk this franchise in some fps or rts) , if they start another triology people will bitch again and will start to make demands again cause the games did not live to expectations, do you think the team that made mass effect want to deal with this shit again ?  i want another triology but i dont blame them if they want to start a new franshise ..

Mass Effect lived up to the expectations, and they will make a new game, I´am not sure if it´s gonna be a trilogy but it will be a new Mass Effect game. But first they will make a few DLC like they did with Lair of the  Shadowbroker just to extend the. But I´am certain that they will release Mass Effect 4 in 2 or maybe 3 years when every has stopped complaining. I mean this is Biowares Masterpiece they can´t just abandon it.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Kantor said:

I suppose it's possible that a race managed to turn itself into AI, because we don't know how long they had - perhaps millions of years of civilization.

However, this race is quite clearly extremely wise. They can't just assume that synthetics will always rise up and obliterate organics. It didn't happen to them. Don't they realise that they have become a race of synthetics who obliterate organics? They claim to be perpetuating life, but all they're really doing is setting it down a predetermined path and eradicating it before it can become advanced.

It is impossible for any sensible race to honestly believe this, so once again, that cannot possibly be an earnest statement of the truth.

Not turned but progressed into digital memory storage. We've seen this is science fiction before in many mediums, it's not hard to comprehend that a race could develop the technology. It would be artificial inteligence based on real inteligence (see Vision from Avengers).

What they feared was chaos brought on by other advanced species. Not as advanced as them but advanced. This is the key point they were making, that organics caused the chaos while the synthetics resolved it, the synthetics in this case create by them. That may be what they were doing but that was their point, don't let it get to a stage where the 'chaos' reaches a level even they cannot contain.

You are basing this on modern thinking. A race far more advanced with technology to do all they did might resort to such a thinking if it thought it the best option, to preserve their own life and help progress the life of less species.

The problem with all this though is I am assuming based on my limited understanding of it all. It this that should have been explained in the final scenes, if that scene went of for another 15 minutes of talking, then I sure less people would have moaned.

A case could be made for Bioware's questionable philosophy, but it's not much of a case if they won't allow any scrutiny of it by Shepard at all. A solid 20-minute long scene, complete the ability of Shepard to argue with the Starchild, and an option to say "screw you", would have made it a great final scene. As it was, it was a poorly explained mess which made no sense and was hurried through in an attempt to hide how little sense it made.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

AndrewWK said:

No, we don't. ME3 is a fantastic game with several brilliant storytelling moments. It just has a terrible ending.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
AndrewWK said:

No, we don't. ME3 is a fantastic game with several brilliant storytelling moments. It just has a terrible ending.

Ohh shit I didn´t meant that the game sucked. It doesn´t it was one of my favourite games of all times, I meant the ending. The game was beyond good it brilliant with so many magic moments. And there were so many in this where I just turned it off and thought for hours about it, like Mordin curing the krogan. I´am so sorry I never wanted to insult the Mass Effect franchise. I hope I can edit my post

The Fury said:
darkknightkryta said:

I don't feel that's the case though.  My interpretation was that the citadel was created to work with the crucible, the blue prints for the crucible were left for organics by that A.I.  If they ever reached the point for the crucible and the citadel to be united then organics have evolved enough to the point that they can make a new solution.  I personally believed that the idea was that you'd have to be united to hold off the reapers long enough and to build the crucible, if species evolved to the point of working together they're mature enough to create a new solution cause the old solution isn't valid (They've resolved chaos for life in the current galaxy, all that's left is to decide what to do with the reapers).  Is there lazy writing behind my interpretation?  Yes, but I feel that's what the lead writer was going for with the ending, though they just should have left a 4th ending where if you're really disjoint you don't even make it up to the Citadel.

That makes a lot of sense, while other cycles the races did not survive as they were not united (last cycle Protheans were on their own apparently). A sensible idea and one that makes more sense the 'just because'. Your lazy writing? Not really, it's an idea and one that makes sense, what seemed lazy is the writing for the writers in the game to not explain the last scene in more detail.

By lazy I mean like, if you didn't unite the galaxy you shouldn't even be able to make it to the catalyst.  That would be the only complaint I would have (And I wouldn't even complain about it, but I can see why others would).  Though this new DLC to "explain" the ending might make me not like the ending if my ideas aren't even remotely right or they can't make a better theory for canon.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:

The Mass Effect 3 ending is was so bad that I'm boycotting Bioware. I'm not buying another game from them. I cancelled my subscription to TOR. Since I there isn't anyway for me to get my $80 back. I keep see examples of other games with bad endings being brought. The comparison is flawed. Why? Mass Effect is a trilogy. People have spent five years on this franchise and to be given that putrid excuse for a conclusion is unforgivable.

Casey Hudson, Mike Gamble, and Mac Walters flat out lied about the ending of the game. Then when they get called on their bullshit they start hiding behind artistic integrity. If they had artistic integrity Garrus wouldn't have been in Mass Effect 2. Archangel was a new character that they changed to Garrus in response to his popularity with fans. The same is true of Tali in ME3. She was added into the game because of her popularity. The squad banter in ME3 was added because of fan demand. Don't alter the course of your game due to fan input then hide behind artistic integrity. Don't promise fans various endings depending on their choices and hand them a badly plagiarized Deux Ex ending.

Games, particularly corporately generated ones, are NOT first and foremost art.  What they are is playthings to entertain people.  You have fun.  Artistic integrity?  HA!  You respond to the fans and give the what they want.  Being corporate funded, you do it with extra production value.  To resume otherwise is absurd.  Want artistic integrity, go support indie film makers, and stop looking for such in corporately produced entertainment devices.

This blog post I did on my blog involving game design would fit here I think:

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/9535/in-the-end-we-make-toys

Lines from it that are relevant:

This post has to do with having fun and taking things too seriously. It also links to the BGG rating system, and the reality that people with games can take their interest too seriously, and sometimes want it to be more than it is.

The play is the thing, but how is it the thing? In the end, doesn't our enjoyment matter? Is there some sort of holy perfection obtained, and people seek some sort of transcendent experience from it? Is the idea to have some sort of static game they think is perfect? Is change to be thrown out? You have people who play Chess, for example, who think the game is perfect, to the extent that you had someone quote the game was handed down by God. You had someone who claims they want to play the exact same game Kasparov played. Want to master a plaything is what they are after. Try showing up a chess club with a variant, and people will look at you funny. And this being of narrow mind had an irony at a local chess club, where you had speed chess purist who complained about the regular chess community not being open-minded about speed chess. Let's just say my ability to find a local group to playtest chess variants is out now.

And we come to A Few Acres of Snow, which people enjoyed but now has an elephant in the room issue of apparently being solved in advanced play. People enjoy the game. But, the game gets sold because of the issue. Is it not for those who like the game to end up coming up with ideas on how to make the game still work? One can yell, "I didn't sign up to be a playtester". But, the reality is that any game produced will reveal things about it that can be improved, or can be tweaked if they get stale, to make them fresh. Why is mixing it up a problem? If it is fun, why not save the fun? Even if a game gets playtested a bunch, things STILL can slip through. Balloon Cup fits into this category. Are those who like the game not supposed to accept a fix for the game, and with the fix, not recommend it to those who look for a game? The person I spoke of earlier who ended up not liking the BGG rating system thought so. It apparently is an abomination if you now give a positive review of Balloon Cup. Games are some sort of sacred devices of holiness we get offended at.

Yes, and those involved with games can take things very seriously, and maybe too much for its own good. Maybe you have regrets that you gave yourself so much to an area of your life, wanting more. Maybe you can have balance in your life.

What I would give an example of taking things just a bit too seriously is Adam Sessler with his Soapbox looking at Red Dead Redemption. He sings on how awesome of an experience the game is, and ends up thinking it is a metaphor for the videogame industry. Really Adam? How about you realize you are involved in an industry that should be making toys for people? How about some fun? I did play though Red Dead Redemption, and thought it decent, but the penultimate experience? I didn't have as much fun as I did with Borderlands. I consider Red Dead decent, but not as much fun as I hoped. I think it is a case of people in the industry hyping things up more out of wish for greater than they are, why a game like Grand Theft Auto IV gets high reviews, but then falling short in the fun area. The Soapbox episode I refer to can be seen here:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/46118/sesslers-soapbox-red-dead-redemption-perfects-the-western/

So, to sum up, I say game designers ultimately make toys. One can want to do more, and maybe like any toy, the toy can be used for other purposes, but they are toys. The idea is fun here, and what is wrong with that? If you want significance, and meaning, go study philosophy or join a religion. Games are meant to be playthings mainly, and enjoyed and have fun. And isn't a bunch of fun, with flaws, worth more than boring perfection?

End of quote from blog:

Sorry folks, but you SERIOUSLY think you are going to get some awesome storytelling from game designers in a corporate machine, who operate under deadlines?  It is now, get something out by a certain time period to maximize revenues.  The end is not storytelling, but rather, entertainment in exchange for your coin.

fillet said:
WiiBox3 said:
I really think the Indoc. theory for the ending is correct. I thought the ending was ingenious, meant for the hardcore fan. All 3 games emphasize Indoctrination of whoever has contact with the Reapers and Shepard has a heck of a lot of contact with them. Just before the final scene he comes in contact with Harvenger, the most bad ass of the Reapers.

As for closure with your friends, I felt that was what Mass Effect 3 was up until the end. You find closure with everyone you had come in contact with over the last three games before taking on the final mission, the suicide mission.

I think you mean Harbinger ;)

Ingenious? I'd say I'm pretty hardcore, having completely ME1 and 2 previously and not having kept a save for ME3 and still taking the time to complete ME1 and 2 again including ALL side missions...Baring in mind I have hardly completed any games whatsoever in the past few years.

Am i not a hardcore ME fan? I'm as hardcore as they come when it comes to ME and your drawing interpretations from absolutely nothing, much like a child would draw interpretations from sonic the hedgehog and wonder why robotnik didn't just build a 20 foot brick wall in the green hill zone and stop sonic progressing.

Your theory on indoctrination doesn't wash, plot props like that are made obvious, in any fiction. You don't leave stuff like that open to interpretation without aluring to it in some way at the end, even if aimed at intelligent people. If your theory were to be correct the ending would be even worse than it is because of that. I think you're missing the point with what people are actually complaining about.

My bad Harbinger. ;)

I am surprised you accuse me so quickly of drawing interpretations from nothing, when I am drawing them from many subtle hints throughout the game. There are a lot of plot props throughout the series and even in ME3. The biggest of these that I noticed are the dreams that Shepard has chasing the child, the mechanical sounds he often hears and him becoming more and more parinoid.

I am not saying the ending was perfect, I think it needed to put in more hints for the player to figure out what was happening. Also, with the good ending there should have been a showdown of what actually happens after Shepard breaks free of indoctrination. Since with the indoctrination theory the ending is just choosing wether or not Shepard can fight it off and has nothing to do with actually destroying the Reapers or not.

Also don't tell me that I'm missing the point why people are complaining. I'm just saying that was a non issue for me. I said I thought the ending was ingenious and why I thought it. I'm not tell you that you have to think the same way. I thought the ending to Lost was awesome too, does that mean that I am missing the point why other people were upset with that as well?

Seriously check out this video. Right or wrong it's interesting:

http://youtu.be/ythY_GkEBck

darkknightkryta said:
d21lewis said:

Best Show EVER!

I second that.

Stinky said:

While I don't think the ending is the best possible, at least it wasn't predictable. To me, the ending successfully portrayed the desperation and ultimate futility of the struggle, as well as the baffling alienness of the Reapers compared to the relative kinship of the citadel races.

The way I see it, some folks are mad that it doesn't spoon-feed some neat ending in which the hero thrashes the enemy, gets the girl and everyone lives happily ever after; which would be the laziest writing possible and would deservedly draw ire.

In fact, I don't believe many folks actually stopped to ponder the subtleties of the ending before reaching for the internet hate machine. So the ending is not fantastic, so what?

Yup. Totally agree. The concept and implication of the game is the most important.

Too many people here are nerd raging for a "linear ending." It is Sci-Fi fictional.

zero129 said:
KeptoKnight said:
Stinky said:

While I don't think the ending is the best possible, at least it wasn't predictable. To me, the ending successfully portrayed the desperation and ultimate futility of the struggle, as well as the baffling alienness of the Reapers compared to the relative kinship of the citadel races.

The way I see it, some folks are mad that it doesn't spoon-feed some neat ending in which the hero thrashes the enemy, gets the girl and everyone lives happily ever after; which would be the laziest writing possible and would deservedly draw ire.

In fact, I don't believe many folks actually stopped to ponder the subtleties of the ending before reaching for the internet hate machine. So the ending is not fantastic, so what?

Yup. Totally agree. The concept and implication of the game is the most important.

Too many people here are nerd raging for a "linear ending." It is Sci-Fi fictional.

It goes alot deeper then that. No body i don't think was expecting a "Happy Ending". But we also wasn't expecting the shit we got. If it was a simple case of not getting a Happy Ending i don't think so many people would be raging. Maybe you should watch some of the videos of why people are angry and have every right to be before you jump to "Nerd Raging" -_-

The past 2 weeks I played 1,2,3. Finished 3 yesterday. I do not have a problem with the ending. I am a Christian and can somewhat see why there is "starchild," as a  means for convention. I am not going to explain it either. I dont need Bioware to hold my hands for my creative thoughts.  I did see 2 videos of commentaries  NERD RAGING. I am a fan of open endings needless to say. I view some of the characters as a symbol and contemplate on how  it can be implemented into the real world like the Illusive man. I do not care where the reapers come from either. I loved the game from beginning to end.