By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 3 ending sucks BIG TIME!!!

d21lewis said:
The Fury said:
d21lewis said:
I don't remember Final Fantasy VII getting this much flack.

I don't think it needed flack, it was 'epic' in it's way. You fight the big fight to achieve your main goal (defeat the bad guy and stop his plans) but the rest of the outcome, the ending was not in your control. You have no say and just have to accept it.

You just had to accept that the world may have been destroyed at the end of your epic 70 hour RPG (Talking about FFVII, here) and never knowing what happened aside from a brief video of a destroyed Midgar.  You saw Red XIII and his kids a 100 years (or 300.....anyway, it was a loooooong time after everyone was dead) and your actions always led to this semi-conclusive ending.  And yet, to this day, many consider FFVII the greatest RPG ever made.

Now, we get ME3, the end of an insanely epic journey.  Featured a story that was beyond epic.  Some people are pissed that they ever made any sort of decisions or grew attached to the characters or anything because of the ending.  I can feel their pain but I really enjoyed the journey.  With Mass Effect 3, this series just kicked Gears of War off of the top of my personal list as The Franchise of this console generation.  The ending wasn't perfect but I don't know of any story driven game (as for the guy that said MGS4.....don't get me started.) that resolved everything flawlessly.  Hell, I just finished Valkyria Chronicles and when Faldio broke out of prison and killed the final boss I thought it was pretty stupid but I wasn't mad.  It was the story the creators wanted to tell.  The Mass Effect journey was a wonderful one and the ending is whatever you want it to be (though it's still not a particularly happy one).  I'm fine with that.

Yes but that to me added to the story. The idea that after your epic 70 hour RPG, you are the side character for bigger things and bigger powers. But is it considered a great RPG for the last moments of the ending? this potential ending is mentioned long before the 70 hrs in the story so you have time to consider it. The whole game is considered the great RPG.

Mass Effect is the same, from 1 to 3 the story around the characters their development, political powers and your character battling these reapers is the story, whether or not the ending is a part you have no control over. I can see it also, decisions and choices only for them to be a null character in the final outcome.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Kantor said:

The plot holes are really secondary here. I could live with those; they're a minor annoyance.

The idea that a race of organics miraculously turned itself into a killer race of demonic robots and decided to terrorise everyone forever is absurd, and it's even more absurd that the king killer demonic robot is suddenly fed up with the whole thing and decides to give you a bunch of nonsensical options which will solve nothing.

I've missed out most your post as it contains endings I've not seen yet but from before a choice is made, I don't see how this story is that far fetched.

How I understood this was the idea is that an extremely advantaced race found a way to preserve themselves in the form of AI and non-organic matter. It decided that other races around it would end up either destroying them or themselves so took it upon themselves to do the same to these other races as it did to themselves. This was the solution to the chaos created by different species, to bring order in the form of unification in a single race. Every 50,000 years they repeat, taking advance races away leaving young races to grow and develop before the advance races destroy them. The original race would have had incredibly advanced technology to do all this, after all, they did create the mass relays which was used to dictate new races developments.

The final choice was an odd one but I presumed the AI within the citadel essentially had decided that due to the presence of an organic, their  plan was no longer working as the organic races were fighting back. This part could have been more well thought out. 

I suppose it's possible that a race managed to turn itself into AI, because we don't know how long they had - perhaps millions of years of civilization.

However, this race is quite clearly extremely wise. They can't just assume that synthetics will always rise up and obliterate organics. It didn't happen to them. Don't they realise that they have become a race of synthetics who obliterate organics? They claim to be perpetuating life, but all they're really doing is setting it down a predetermined path and eradicating it before it can become advanced.

It is impossible for any sensible race to honestly believe this, so once again, that cannot possibly be an earnest statement of the truth.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

The Fury said:
Kantor said:
Pineapple said:

I thought the ending was great. While playing the game, I was wondering how on earth they were going to write a satisfying ending to the game. It didn't really seem possible to me. During the game, I was also a bit upset by the Illusive Man being turned into a pure villain, as he'd been a very interesting character in ME2. In many ways, most of ME3 was far more akin to a stupid American action movie than the previous Mass Effects were, so I was worried about an ending of that kind. With little to no explanation of why or how anything happened.

Instead, the ending was nice and reflecting. I expected the ending of the game to be purely based on what you'd done. If you'd built a giant army and had good friends, one thing would happen, while if you had no allies and friends, something else would. Rather than that, the actual ending sort of asked you to consider how much faith you had in the peoples you had helped during the game. Not only that, but the choice also reflects back on how you view the real world and where humanity is headed. I certainly ended up thinking about stuff like that.

And honestly, I think that's when sci-fi shines best. Not when it creates a set of rules, and then follows them to the point, but when it bends its own rules to tell the best possible story and ask the best possible questions.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the ending. I find it to be the by far best ending of the Mass Effect games, and probably in the top 10 of all games I've ever played. The "plot holes" mentioned earlier really don't bother me at all. How Anderson entered the beam before Shepard, for instance, or why he ended up  in a different place than Shepard, as it's not really relevant to the point the game is making at all.

The plot holes are really secondary here. I could live with those; they're a minor annoyance.

The idea that a race of organics miraculously turned itself into a killer race of demonic robots and decided to terrorise everyone forever is absurd, and it's even more absurd that the king killer demonic robot is suddenly fed up with the whole thing and decides to give you a bunch of nonsensical options which will solve nothing.

I've missed out most your post as it contains endings I've not seen yet but from before a choice is made, I don't see how this story is that far fetched.

How I understood this was the idea is that an extremely advantaced race found a way to preserve themselves in the form of AI and non-organic matter. It decided that other races around it would end up either destroying them or themselves so took it upon themselves to do the same to these other races as it did to themselves. This was the solution to the chaos created by different species, to bring order in the form of unification in a single race. Every 50,000 years they repeat, taking advance races away leaving young races to grow and develop before the advance races destroy them. The original race would have had incredibly advanced technology to do all this, after all, they did create the mass relays which was used to dictate new races developments.

The final choice was an odd one but I presumed the AI within the citadel essentially had decided that due to the presence of an organic, their  plan was no longer working as the organic races were fighting back. This part could have been more well thought out. 

I don't feel that's the case though.  My interpretation was that the citadel was created to work with the crucible, the blue prints for the crucible were left for organics by that A.I.  If they ever reached the point for the crucible and the citadel to be united then organics have evolved enough to the point that they can make a new solution.  I personally believed that the idea was that you'd have to be united to hold off the reapers long enough and to build the crucible, if species evolved to the point of working together they're mature enough to create a new solution cause the old solution isn't valid (They've resolved chaos for life in the current galaxy, all that's left is to decide what to do with the reapers).  Is there lazy writing behind my interpretation?  Yes, but I feel that's what the lead writer was going for with the ending, though they just should have left a 4th ending where if you're really disjoint you don't even make it up to the Citadel.

darkknightkryta said:
The Fury said:
Kantor said:
Pineapple said:

I thought the ending was great. While playing the game, I was wondering how on earth they were going to write a satisfying ending to the game. It didn't really seem possible to me. During the game, I was also a bit upset by the Illusive Man being turned into a pure villain, as he'd been a very interesting character in ME2. In many ways, most of ME3 was far more akin to a stupid American action movie than the previous Mass Effects were, so I was worried about an ending of that kind. With little to no explanation of why or how anything happened.

Instead, the ending was nice and reflecting. I expected the ending of the game to be purely based on what you'd done. If you'd built a giant army and had good friends, one thing would happen, while if you had no allies and friends, something else would. Rather than that, the actual ending sort of asked you to consider how much faith you had in the peoples you had helped during the game. Not only that, but the choice also reflects back on how you view the real world and where humanity is headed. I certainly ended up thinking about stuff like that.

And honestly, I think that's when sci-fi shines best. Not when it creates a set of rules, and then follows them to the point, but when it bends its own rules to tell the best possible story and ask the best possible questions.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the ending. I find it to be the by far best ending of the Mass Effect games, and probably in the top 10 of all games I've ever played. The "plot holes" mentioned earlier really don't bother me at all. How Anderson entered the beam before Shepard, for instance, or why he ended up  in a different place than Shepard, as it's not really relevant to the point the game is making at all.

I don't feel that's the case though.  My interpretation was that the citadel was created to work with the crucible, the blue prints for the crucible were left for organics by that A.I.  If they ever reached the point for the crucible and the citadel to be united then organics have evolved enough to the point that they can make a new solution.  I personally believed that the idea was that you'd have to be united to hold off the reapers long enough and to build the crucible, if species evolved to the point of working together they're mature enough to create a new solution cause the old solution isn't valid (They've resolved chaos for life in the current galaxy, all that's left is to decide what to do with the reapers).  Is there lazy writing behind my interpretation?  Yes, but I feel that's what the lead writer was going for with the ending, though they just should have left a 4th ending where if you're really disjoint you don't even make it up to the Citadel.

Gonna leave this thread, I promise!  Just wanted to say that maybe you didn't make it up to the Citadel.  Maybe you're still laying on the ground, burned all to shit by the laser and you're dreaming about going into the beam of light and seeing a resolution to your story.  Makes about as much sense as anything else I've been seeing.

I'm still thinking about how bad this ending was. Worst ending since L.A. Noire for me. At least that one was mostly believable in the context of the game's story.

I expected some or all of my party members to die, I even expected Shepard to die. What I didn't expect was for Bioware to insult my intelligence with an ABC ending scheme that was completely illogical no matter what choice you made.

I just beat Batman: AC a few days ago, so that ending washed away some of my anger for this mind fuck.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Gonna leave this thread, I promise!  Just wanted to say that maybe you didn't make it up to the Citadel.  Maybe you're still laying on the ground, burned all to shit by the laser and you're dreaming about going into the beam of light and seeing a resolution to your story.  Makes about as much sense as anything else I've been seeing.

Maybe

Why hate the ending? I saw them on Youtube and thought it wrapped up the story arch for the trilogy and explained things. Maybe it wasn't perfect. Maybe it didn't fit the game properly. But I did play the first two, and it explained things fine I thought.

adriane23 said:
I'm still thinking about how bad this ending was. Worst ending since L.A. Noire for me. At least that one was mostly believable in the context of the game's story.

I expected some or all of my party members to die, I even expected Shepard to die. What I didn't expect was for Bioware to insult my intelligence with an ABC ending scheme that was completely illogical no matter what choice you made.

I just beat Batman: AC a few days ago, so that ending washed away some of my anger for this mind fuck.

Told you

I really didn´t like the ME3 ending. But it showed how pathetic the gaming community is, even after Bioware tried to listen to us, people still complain that they don´t care.

CGI-Quality said:
fillet said:

Heavy Rain was a point and click adventure with posh clothes. There was nothing risky about it other than it not being a mass market genre anymore. Farenheit which preceded it did the same things it did only less refinded and less polished and more basic level. I think the marketing got to you CGI, which admittedly was beyond fantastic. It doesn't change the fact though that is was a point and click adventure with top notch cinematic value.

I believe you quoted the wrong person

Regardless, I don't want the topic to be an argument about HR, so best we can do here is agree to disagree. Just wanted to make a quick point to d21.

Sorry yes my apolgies for going off topic and taking a cheeky shot :p

Kantor said:
Pineapple said:

The problem is that you are given no control at all. Creepy starchild narrates this stuff which is clearly complete bullshit (like synthetics being destined to destroy their creators) and Shepard just stands there and nods, and accepts what he's saying despite the fact that he's the Reaper overmind. Let's go through these endings one by one.

1) Control. Yes, this is going to work despite the fact that Illusive Man tried it, and the renegade Protheans tried it, and presumably everyone has tried it at some point, but that doesn't matter because Shepard is special and magical.

2) Destroy. Sure, you can just destroy the Reapers, but for no adequately explored reason this will destroy all synthetics in the galaxy. The Reapers are not regular synthetics. They are much more than that. They have nothing in common with Geth.

3) Synthesis. Dear god. So now this child can cast space magic that will alter DNA to make it partially synthetic? How is this even remotely believable? Why has this possibility never even been mentioned before? Wouldn't this destroy the very core of the being of every creature in the galaxy? It makes no sense at all.

Then all of the mass relays are destroyed, which no longer causes supernovae, apparently, and leaves everyone stranded around a now ruined planet Earth.

All three of the solutions are stupid, and 4) Tell the Reapers to screw off and leave us alone makes a lot more sense than any of them. You would think this infinitely wise star child would know that. Incidentally, why is he even asking a puny organic for a decision?

It would have made perfect sense in the context of indoctrination, because Starchild's ideas sound exactly like they're coming straight from Harbinger, who is trying to influence you to make their domination complete.

You've got something there, if they took this angle like the kid was also indoctrinated and this was alured to, it would have made quite a different more satisfying conclusion. Just the thought of that at least gives some link to the actual game.

I think getting sucked up the conduit from earth into and unrecognizable citadel didn't help matters for feeling of disconnection also.