By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii will not pass 100 million

OP:Sorry i respectfully disagree. Another attempt of a price cut and a decent Christmas season for the next two years makes 100 million a very realistic goal.

Around the Network

It will definitely beat out the PS1 eventually - I think it'll stop around 105-110 million

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Anything too far north of 100 million certainly not, but 100 definitely yes. Wii's deflation is faster than i pegged it, but that milestone will still belong to the console

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sure it will reach 100 million sold, and be the third console to do so. Nintendo will be the first to have two company hardwares sell that amount or more. The Wii will still sell hardware after the Wii U. Just look at what the DS and PSP are doing. The Wii sits at 95 million plus, and the count down has begun.

No. It'll likely hit it this year.

It's only a few mil off, and with holidays as well, it'd be hard NOT to.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Sorry, I cannot agree, I think Wii will pass 100 Mio.

AstroMaSSi rules

WiseOwl said:
Sure it will reach 100 million sold, and be the third console to do so. Nintendo will be the first to have two company hardwares sell that amount or more. The Wii will still sell hardware after the Wii U. Just look at what the DS and PSP are doing. The Wii sits at 95 million plus, and the count down has begun.

:-S PS1 and PS2? And potentially PS3

o_O.Q said:
Metallicube said:

Just because YOU don't want it to reach 100 million, doesn't mean it won't.. As people have mentioned here, Nintendo still has room for another $50 price drop, not to mention there is still DQX, which will boost its sales heavilly in Japan, and let's not forget during the holidays each year, Wii should recieve a huge boost, well over enough to get it over the hump. It might take a couple of years, but to think it will NEVER sell another 5 million, when it has already sold 95 million in only 5 + years is downright foolish with no basis, and to me must only mean it is wishful thinking on the part of AN HD twin fan, who still can't get over the fact that Nintendo actually came in first this gen.

i love how you generalise the attitude shown in the op of a thread made by 1 individual to millions of other people

Better? :P

binary solo said:
People saying dropping the price of Wii will get it across the line. Wii doesn't quite sell itself it still needs advertising. what will Wii's advertising budget be one month out from Wii U launching? Not much. And after Wii U launches it'll be less than that.

PS2's price drop to $99 did very little for its sales, I don't think a Wii drop to $99 post Wii U launch will do much.

I think Wii will have about 2.4 million units left to get to 100 million by the start of November. ~ 8 week, 300K per week average. I think If Wii does that it will mean Wii U not selling as well as Ninty would be wanting. Still if it doesn't make 100 million this year it will certainly get close enough that it will limp across the line before it's officially taken off the market.

Interesting that people said tech doesn't matter for sales, but it does matter for longevity. If Wii had tech on par with PS3 / 360 then it would still be capable of making a run at PS2's record. The again would Wii with tech similar to PS3 / 360 have the sales it does today? Possibly not.

Powerful tech has very little, if anything, to do with console longevity. PS2 should be proof of that. The Wii isn't lasting as long because of third parties, and even Nintendo somewhat, freezing it out with a lack of new games.

I didn't know that you started writing joke threads Gilgamesh.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger