By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii will not pass 100 million

The Dragon Quest X boost, (It launches well before the Wii U version and many fans won't wait) the holidays, and a drop to $99USD will ensure the Wii makes it to at least 105m.

Around the Network

Absolutely it will pass 100 million units sold. Do you think that every manufactured Wii in the world will spontaneously combust once it hits 100 million? We better step away from our Wiis soon and keep an extinguisher near by or this world will burn to the ground.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

It could be close. Just remember that due to the backward compatibility of the Wii, Gamecube sales completely dropped off. The GC pretty much died right then and there. So considering the fact that Wii sales are around where Gamecube sales were near the end of its lifespan (due to similar market apathy), along with Wii U being backward compatible, the Wii could suffer the same fate. If it ever hits 100 million, it'll barely go beyond that number. Wii sales drop more and more every week, and it was almost outsold by PSP. This is a legit argument by the original poster, and I'm thinking that he's probably right.

It'll hit 100mil this year because of DQX alone, and the holiday rush.
When the price is cut to $99, expect it to sell several more million.
Then it'll trickle off like the DS, which BTW has sold well over 1mil this year.

So expect it to hit anywhere between 108-120mil, depending on how Nintendo handle it after the WiiU.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

TheShape31 said:
It could be close. Just remember that due to the backward compatibility of the Wii, Gamecube sales completely dropped off. The GC pretty much died right then and there. So considering the fact that Wii sales are around where Gamecube sales were near the end of its lifespan (due to similar market apathy), along with Wii U being backward compatible, the Wii could suffer the same fate. If it ever hits 100 million, it'll barely go beyond that number. Wii sales drop more and more every week, and it was almost outsold by PSP. This is a legit argument by the original poster, and I'm thinking that he's probably right.

This argument is an illogical one, for one key fact:

GC- Sales when Wii launched- 19.5mil

LT sales- 21.74mil

Sales in year of Wii launch-2.35mil

Sales in year after Wii launch-0.73mil

Total sales after Wii launch-10.3%

Wii- Sales when WiiU launch (Assuming November launch)-97.2mil

LT sales-107.2mil

Sales in year of WiiU launch- 9.4mil

Sales in year after WiiU launch- 3.4mil

Total sales after WiiU launch- 10.3%

This is, pretty much, assuming the worst-case scenario, using the same level of drop off as the GC, which was almost immediately discontinued, and which had little SW support, completely swamped by the 360 which had been out for a year also. So no way will the Wii drop off as quickly, and similarly, nor will it be discontinued as quickly. So I think that 107.2mil, judging from their past console sales, is pretty much the minimum.

(source)

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
TheShape31 said:

LT sales- 21.74mil

LT sales-107.2mil

This is, pretty much, assuming the worst-case scenario, using the same level of drop off as the GC, which was almost immediately discontinued, and which had little SW support, completely swamped by the 360 which had been out for a year also. So no way will the Wii drop off as quickly, and similarly, nor will it be discontinued as quickly. So I think that 107.2mil, judging from their past console sales, is pretty much the minimum.

(source)

Yeah I was pretty sure that GC sold like 2 million after Wii came out.  Just couldn't find the source like you did.  Like I said, the market for old consoles is a HELL of a lot biggerthen most people realize... because most people out here on the web out here are videogame enthusiasts who are doing economically ok enough to be fairly current.

Kasz216 said:
Conegamer said:
TheShape31 said:

LT sales- 21.74mil

LT sales-107.2mil

(source)

Yeah I was pretty sure that GC sold like 2 million after Wii came out.  Just couldn't find the source like you did.  Like I said, the market for old consoles is a HELL of a lot biggerthen most people realize... because most people out here on the web out here are videogame enthusiasts who are doing economically ok enough to be fairly current.

Exactly. And, you've got to remember the GC was soon discontinued, and that it was the weakest console sales-wise on the market by a margin. So when the market leader, and the 'in-thing' (or, it was) is cut to $99, you can imagine the severe influx in sales.

Nintendo will likely do this this time next year.

How much does the Wii sell, a few hundred thousand worldwide every month? How much will it sell around the holidays? Probably 1-2 million, especially with Black Friday sales and stores wanting to do away with most of their Wii inventory in favor of more Wii U inventory. The Wii will probably exceed 100 million consoles by some point early next year. Before Nintendo stops manufacturing it, it'll probably go as high as 105 million.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Sales are dropping, WiiU will further eat away whats left of the Wii sales. I imagine it will barely scratch PS1 lifetime sales.

What a contrast with few years ago when people were not discussing IF it will outsell the PS2, but by how much itll outsell the PS2. Some crazy numbers like 200, 250 million were tossed around lol.

I was always saying: Wii cannot maintain those sales forever, Wii literally burned through its sales like nitro while PS360 are driving moderatly at 80km/h, in the end, they will both finish around 90-100 million too.

It should still very easily surpass 100 million. Why? I think it will do at least 2 million in Q4/2012, which leaves only 1 million from now til the end of September + at least next year. I would say by the end of the year, we cann tell if it will still pass the PS1 or not.