Forums - Sony Discussion - Play Station 3 outsells NES

100m guaranteed!!!

End of 2016 prediction

PS4:43M-46M

XBONE:28M-33M

Around the Network

I think itll do 100mil

199$ PS3, BELIEVE!!

I believe that PS3 will end selling 110 million units. 5 million more than PS1. With Blu-Ray player and the big library of games will help the PlayStation 3 selling for years.

Seece said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Seece said:
Wha, I think it'll reach 100! 80 is way too low.

Gratz PS3

Not sure if it will or not, but I seem to remember that Ken Kutaragi predicted the PS3 would sell 100 million units. It'd be crazy if he was right.

MS did as well! When they hit 50m a year or so ago.

Glad to see MS has high hopes for Sony lol

I B_E_L_I_E_V_E that the PS3 will reach 100 million!

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Seece said:

Yeah that's good, I'd more say

Jan 13 - 74 (14)
Jan 14 - 85 - (11)
Jan 15 - 92 - (7)
Jan 16 - 96 - (4)
Jan 17+ 100~

Providing Nextbox and PS4 launch late 2013, they both have 2 10m+ years left in them.

You think sales will be that strong after the launch of next gen? It would be amazing for a console to sell over 10m in the year after launch imo, espescially with sales already decling YOY. I'm thinking more like this:

Jan 2013: 74 (14) - Should be a decent year.  
Jan 2014: 83 (9) - I don't see it doing 10m+ with saturation and all next gen consoles being available for the entire year of 2013.
Jan 2015: 88 (5) - This should definitely see a big drop with next gen consoles likely seeing price cuts.
Jan 2016: 91 (3) - Begins dying here.

I guess I may be a little too optimistic about the launch of next generation consoles. We'll see.

Except, the nextbox and PS4 will not be available for the entire year of 2013, they'll probably release in november 2013. Like Seece says, 2012 and 2013 will be easily +10million years.

Jay520 said:
TrevDaRev said:
A little thing to remember is that the PS2 has sold almost 48 million units since the PS3 launched. There will be people who opt for the PS3 over PS4 just as people opted for the PS2 over the PS3. It'll have a 10 plus year life cycle, just like it's predecessors. Hell, the PS2 will probably still be selling when the PS4 is launched. Like I said before, it will hit 100 million. I'll go a little bit further and say 'It'll surpass the PS1's total'.

The PS2 sold so much during it's succeeding generation because 1.)  it was hugely popular and 2.) it's successor (the Ps3) had a crappy launch. We know that the 1st reason will not apply to the PS3. The 2nd reason may or may not apply depending on how well the PS4 does. For that I don't think the comparison between the PS2 and PS3 will prove accurate.

Another reason was because it was a helluva lot cheaper than the PS3. There will be people who look at the price of the PS4 and opt for the cheaper PS3. Plus the PS3 will have numerous price cuts down the line, let's face it, there's still quite a few people who think the PS3 is still a bit pricey. Getting down to lower price points will open the PS3 up to not only just gamers.

Mummelmann said:
It should reach around 80 million along with the 360, far more than anyone expected for the 360 (and the PS3, midway through this generation). All in all, not too shabby for 3rd place.

At the same Wii is probably doing weaker at this point than people were expecting midway through.

If PS3 does 13 million this year and then starts dropping 40% every year than it'll sell 35 million more, putting it around ~96 million.

If Wii does a measly 8 million this year and then drops 40% every year than it'll sell 20 million more, putting it around ~114 million.

I'm saying 95million by the end of it's lifetime.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Considering the fact that the world's population has grown significantly since the NES days, I'm not so sure there's anything to be excited about. This has been a quite a poor outing for Sony's Playstation brand this generation in my opinion.