By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS graphical advances made Resident Evil: Revelations possible

VG47

Hardware advances in the portable field have finally given Capcom confidence in bringing classic Resident Evil gameplay to handhelds.

Previously, all handheld Resident Evil releases have been spin-offs, but Resident Evil: Revelations is a full, console-style Resident Evil experience. Speaking at GDC 2012, as reported by Siliconera, producer Masachika Kawata said Capcom had three reasons to bring its formula to the 3DS.

The first and perhaps most important reason is that new portable hardware makes it possible; Kawata said the graphical capabilities of the 3DS made a real Resident Evil game possible. He made specific mention of the portable’s support for lighting features, pixel shading, and shaders.

Secondly, Capcom wants to leverage the Resident Evil brand with new markets, and hopes to find them in new formats. Kawata also mentioned the possibility of new genres.

And finally, the 3DS offers ways to create new kinds of entertainment, powered by its stereoscopic 3D and Street Pass functionality, as well as a dual screen set up.

Resident Evil: Revelations is out now on 3DS and has won critical praise.

Around the Network

Capcom always says this and then re-release the game on consoles or something.

PullusPardus said:

This won't be the first game to not be exclusive, won't be the last. However having it part of the library is still pretty awesome. 

PullusPardus said:

iOS release imminent.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Seems like the author of this article doesn't know what spin-off is.
And yeah, this game is hella good. Khm, maybe Capcom will continue their tradition and port it later...

Around the Network

Seeing all the praise for this game makes my wonder if i shouldn't buy in. I've never owned a horror game (though am well aware of the debates over whether RE even qualifies as horror or not), and despite being Nintendo-only, i skipped over RE4 and the REmakes for both GC and Wii

If i were to choose to get into the franchise, would i need to go back to earlier games, get the archives games for Wii and run-through at least 0 and 1 to get an idea of what's going on?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

That is great news! I've always known that the 3DS is capable of outputting those types of graphics. I can't wait to see other games of this graphical intensity on the 3DS! ^_^

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:
Seeing all the praise for this game makes my wonder if i shouldn't buy in. I've never owned a horror game (though am well aware of the debates over whether RE even qualifies as horror or not), and despite being Nintendo-only, i skipped over RE4 and the REmakes for both GC and Wii

If i were to choose to get into the franchise, would i need to go back to earlier games, get the archives games for Wii and run-through at least 0 and 1 to get an idea of what's going on?

The Resident Evil series hasn't much of a story, so you can start with any game. But, of course, starting with a later entry has the possibility of spoiling events of previous games. It's all just B-movie material anyway though, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

It's all about biological weapons, bioterrorism and a handful of heroes fighting against it. The earlier games (0, 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, all taking place in 1998 of an alternative universe) deal with the Umbrella Corporation (pharma company that researches biological weapons). A couple of the survivors (Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine) found/join an organisation that is specialized on combating bioterrorism afterwards (BSAA). Umbrella gets shut down sometime between 1999 and 2003, but there's no game specifically dealing with this aside from the Wii spinoff Umbrella Chronicles which barely touches on it.

Resident Evil 4 takes place in 2004 when the Umbrella Corporation is already history and Leon S. Kennedy (survivor of RE2) works for the US government. In story terms, the reboot of the series doesn't have much to do with its predecessors which is probably the main reason why KylieDog doesn't think highly of it. RE5 takes place several years later and features Chris Redfield and BSAA stuff, so it falls much more in line with the previous RE lore than Leon's rescue mission in RE4. Finally, Revelations takes place between RE4 and RE5 with a story that can perfectly stand on its own.

That's Resident Evil in a nutshell. If you ever plan to play the earlier games, RE1 should be played before Zero, not the other way around. Everything else is fine in chronological order.

Thanks. I was aware of most of the basics you pitched me, though not the years they occurred nor that 4 is the franchise story outlier.

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Kid Icarus Uprising, Xenoblade Chronicles, and The Last Story are all higher on my priorities list anyway, so it is likely this game won't be purchased for a long time if at all. Though if i find myself unable to find a job this year, who knows? Maybe i'll plow that extra time into gaming...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

RE:Revelations was my first horror game, and I love it- you should seriously consider it imo

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

This game is probably the only game that looks to me better in 3D though I dont own a 3D TV so I dont know how HD games look in 3D. If you have a 3DS get this game and skip mercenaries a stupid decision by camcop

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share