By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is the greatest Nintendo home console of all time?

The greatest Nintendo home console of all time?

NES 42 10.55%

SNES 167 41.96%

Nintendo 64 83 20.85%

Gamecube 40 10.05%

Wii 62 15.58%

That Pong console they made in the 70's 4 1.01%

Total:398
superchunk said:
In reality there was only one thing better than SNES in the 90's. The Chicago Bulls.

Hell yes!

The 90s were simply a golden age..

Around the Network

The GameCube in my opinion is the best. If this had all the Nintendo consoles then the NGC would move down one spot so to have the 3DS reign king. Sadly, it cannot in these rules.

Maybe it is just the nostalgia, but I have to go with N64. It only had about 300 or so games during its lifetime, but many of those were incredible hits with something for every type of gamer.

Banjo Kazooie 1 and 2, 3 Mario Party games, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Harvest Moon, Super Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask, StarFox 64, Pokemon Stadium (more of an enhancement for the gameboy pokemon games but still great), Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Killer Instinct Gold, Clayfighters 63 and 1/3, Rayman 2, Gex 2 and 3, Kirby, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Rogue Squad, Turok series (when it was still good) ... and that is just what I can name off the top of my head.

there were even some decent ports with Resident Evil 2, Starcraft, Doom, Duke Nukem, and a not so bad  port of the original Command and Conquer game with enhanced graphics, but no cutscenes (the greatest flaw of this port by far, but not so bad assuming you already played it on PC)

It is hard to think of another Nintendo console with this many hits. Many of these are third party as well. I would say you had a 1/10 chance of picking a great N64 game even if you did it completely at random. Remove all of the sports games and it probably goes to 1/6.

Compare that to the playstation 1 which had a lot of great games, but also tons and tons of absolute garbage. Lets not forget that the N64 also introduced rumble in controllers with the rumble pack. On top of that, it had 4 controller ports out of the box for easy multiplayer.

Cartridges also meant almost no load times to worry about, no memory cards (only a few games needed them) and no scratches or damages that would harm the games. N64 games hold up very well today too since they can't really be damaged unless you hit them with a hammer or something. Unfortunately, Nintendo still used crappy carboard boxes to hold the games in which do not stand up well to abuse, but this only really matters to collectors like myself. The vast majority of cartridges can be found dirt cheap to this day. Even Clayfighters 63 and 1/3 Sculptor's cut (the rarest game for the N64) can still be gotten out of box for about 50 dollars.

Wii > N64 = SNES > NES > NGC

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

I think SNES, Wii, and NES all have good arguments. I liked them all for different reasons.

I see the N64 and GameCube eras as the dark ages of Nintendo.

Gamecube just had nothing exciting for it, and it is arguably the worst major home console ever released; it was more or less just PS2 junior, there were no classics on it. N64 had several classics, but there were so few games released on the system (around 100 total) - the release schedule was so sparse that sometimes entire seasons would pass with no releases at all. Some genres were almost non-existent; for example, can you think of a single real RPG? There was a small handful of games that were part RPG, but no real RPGs (like Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Final Fantasy) were ever released on the system.

Although, as far as the N64 goes, had Nintendo used a CD format, it would have been their best generation. Can you imagine being on the same role from the 94-96 period on the SNES, and then have Rare, Square, Konami, and Capcom all on one platform? Resident Evil 2, FF7, GE007, Suikoden, Mario Kart 64, Castlevania Symphony of the night, Banko Kazooie, Xenogears, Ocarina of Time, all on the same platform and all in the first 2 years. Not to mention with CD prices, N64 games cost as much as entire DS systems do now (sometimes even before factoring inflation).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

To me the NES. It's the grandfather of most classics and that alone is enough for me. I guess I'm just too old to vote for the NES then?

It's just that simple.

Secret Of Mana is one of my favourite games and it's on the SNES so...

Can't really see the answer being anything other than the SNES.

Fantastic game library and great hardware for the time. The Wii is a great console but in retrospect it was a bit disappointing. The SMG games were absolutely amazing but I feel like Nintendo's development was otherwise not up to its usual standard, and motion control wasn't utilized as well as I initially imagined it would be. It didn't help that Nintendo basically gave up on the system prematurely despite its sales success. I'll reiterate that it was still a great system, but hardly their best effort. The NES and N64 were also great but didn't have the well rounded library of the SNES.

The SNES was a combination of incredible first and third party efforts that has really only been rivaled since by the PS2. It was the golden age of JRPGs and gave us great games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Street Fighter II. In my opinion, no Nintendo console since then has been able to compare in terms of pure game quality and fun.

Overall Snes with Wii second as in a straight up comparison these two beat out the others tbh.

Can't believe the Wii is beating the N64 in votes :(

I still bust out my N64 from time to time to play it more than 15 years after I got it, while my Wii is now a permanent dust collector. Wii might have been important in catapulting Nintendo back to 1st, but the N64's library shits all over the Wii's library.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.