By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tretton hoping for half-million PS Vita sales in first three weeks of US launch

MANUELF said:
I hope it does better in the united states than here in Mexico, my local video game store(gameplanet) had 0 preorders and have sold the huge amount of 0 units since launch :/

Today I saw in the Publimetro adverts here in Mexico one advert for the 3DS at $2,999.00 pesos. And in the same page an advert for the PSVita at $5,999.00 pesos.

That's the double! It's a huge difference!

In fact the PSVita costs the same as the Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle here in Mexico. You can find some cheaper PS3 bundles. With those prices, it won't sell anything.

Around the Network

Aiming low because the Japanese sales randomly dropped off after the decent 300k opening. Even when bigger titles like Ragnarok, Tales and Gravity Daze hitting the thing it still didn't break the 20k mark. Japan truly is an arbitrary market compared to the US and I don't think they should use it as a comparison. Honestly surprised EA didn't slap a Madden on the device for launch for a quick easy buck.

Nice seeing that Jack has a lot of confidence in the Vita.

A really strange article at reuters there. Perhaps the oddest quote is "The target consumer is a PS3 owner, and there's 60 million of those out there," Tretton said. "He's also male and in his early 20s." Why exactly wouldn't you make the target consumer errr gee I don't know PSP owners? You know there's more of them and they already have an interest in handheld gaming.

Also can't figure out if he is purposefully throwing out a comically low figure. 500k in 3 weeks would be VERY slow sales. The only reason I can think of him stating that is so if it does better he can come out and say ''It's doing better than our prediction!''

I also thought maybe it meant 500k including the soft launch. Nope the article is dated the 22nd and says the next 3 weeks. So he is talking about the first full 3 weeks of proper launch.

Even stranger is what Director Michael Gartenberg of Gartner Research said. Seriously his quote is like something from a The Onion article. To quote it in full from the article ''Gartner's Gartenberg said Sony might want to consider a price cut. Vitas would be flying off the shelves at $79 or $99 each, he added.''....... This man is the director of a market research company..... REALLY?! He may as well have come out with ''Yea if everything cost 1/3 the price it would sell more!'' Nevermind that it would probably bankrupt the companies as they sold huge amounts of a product for hundreds of dollars in losses each.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Actually I just checked and the 3DS, in its first 3 weeks in ALL of the Americas, sold about 600k. So no, I actually think that wouldn't be too bad of a figure.

Around the Network

Guess they dont have high expectations if their only aiming for 500k

Zim said:

Even stranger is what Director Michael Gartenberg of Gartner Research said. Seriously his quote is like something from a The Onion article. To quote it in full from the article ''Gartner's Gartenberg said Sony might want to consider a price cut. Vitas would be flying off the shelves at $79 or $99 each, he added.''....... This man is the director of a market research company..... REALLY?! He may as well have come out with ''Yea if everything cost 1/3 the price it would sell more!'' Nevermind that it would probably bankrupt the companies as they sold huge amounts of a product for hundreds of dollars in losses each.

Lol, yeah, I would hope that this was a typo or a misquote and that he meant for there to be a "1" in front of those figures.  Sadly though, I doubt it...

Laurel Aitken said:
MANUELF said:
I hope it does better in the united states than here in Mexico, my local video game store(gameplanet) had 0 preorders and have sold the huge amount of 0 units since launch :/

Today I saw in the Publimetro adverts here in Mexico one advert for the 3DS at $2,999.00 pesos. And in the same page an advert for the PSVita at $5,999.00 pesos.

That's the double! It's a huge difference!

In fact the PSVita costs the same as the Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle here in Mexico. You can find some cheaper PS3 bundles. With those prices, it won't sell anything.

I saw the 3DS price on liverpool and is from the 23th to the 26th, is at $2,999 and 6 months without interes, a pretty good deal of 500 a month for 6 month

MontanaHatchet said:
Actually I just checked and the 3DS, in its first 3 weeks in ALL of the Americas, sold about 600k. So no, I actually think that wouldn't be too bad of a figure.

I think this should be remembered when the Vita doesn't sell 15 million copies first week. Yes, that's sarcasm.

So, around the 3DS launch. Sounds reasonable.

Love and tolerate.