By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tretton hoping for half-million PS Vita sales in first three weeks of US launch

MontanaHatchet said:
Sony has tempered their expectations with Vita sales, which I think is a good thing. They don't have the brand name strength or the game lineup of the 3DS and they're competing with Apple on the multi media front. I doubt they're expecting huge numbers in the first year and they seem to be mainly appealing to their prime demographic (young males) with the Vita. In the end, having sustainable sales over the course of several years and being profitable with the system overall is vastly more important. Sony can't afford to engage in a price war with the 3DS right now.

I don't think they can afford anything right now.

Around the Network
reviniente said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Sony has tempered their expectations with Vita sales, which I think is a good thing. They don't have the brand name strength or the game lineup of the 3DS and they're competing with Apple on the multi media front. I doubt they're expecting huge numbers in the first year and they seem to be mainly appealing to their prime demographic (young males) with the Vita. In the end, having sustainable sales over the course of several years and being profitable with the system overall is vastly more important. Sony can't afford to engage in a price war with the 3DS right now.

Well thank you for that waste of a reply.

Level1Death said:
Nice seeing that Jack has a lot of confidence in the Vita.

MontanaHatchet said:
reviniente said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Well thank you for that waste of a reply.

Not a problem. Is what I do.

3DS 600k in the first 3 weeks? well that put things in perspective.

Around the Network

I think it will

Wow, the 3DS did 600k in its first 3 weeks in ALL of the Americas. 500k for the Vita in only the US suddenly seems much too high. I certainly wouldn't declare it an easy feat.

Honestly 500k is damn good. Its not really low balling.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

So I finally made my mind and went out to buy a vita today... Big mistake... The vita itself looks very nice, but the price here (Costa Rica) is just outrageous. c199000 ($398) alone, yes alone, no game, no memory card nothing... I know games are expensive here, I recently bought RE:R for $60, but I mean... I know Costa Rica is a tiny market, but I bet the same is happening all around latinamerica.

Just for comparison... the 3ds cost around $250 with a free game ...

I hope it sells well there...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

If I remember rightly 3DS did 400k frist week in the US alone, so Sonys expecting pretty low sales frist few weeks.