By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Greece 'can't take anymore cuts' and Eurozone States 'want Greece out'

The modern construct of 'Greece' or 'Greeks' did not exist in Ancient times, it is a term derived from Latin, it is frustrating when people attempt to drag modern constructs into an Ancient context much like a modern understanding of homosexuality in an Ancient context. They referred themselves as Hellenes. The Hellenic poleis were never truly unified except under exceptional circumstances such as times of war and they would constantly war amongst each other, the Hellenes greatest enemies were usually always themselves. The Ancient Kingdom of Macedon was very much so Hellenic and the people of slavic origin that later occupied the land in 600AD bare no relation to Alexander's Macedon. Granted the majority of Eastern and Southern Europe today has very diluted genetics due to centuries of war as can be seen between the disparity in genetic code between those of Northern and Southern Italy; from a cultural and geographical standpoint, Alexander's Macedon is predominantly within the boundaries of Northern Greece, as this land was granted to the Greeks as spoils after the Balkan Wars of the early 1900s. The capital of the Ancient Kingdom was Pella and was the birthplace of both Phillip and Alexander, and this city is in Greece as far as I know. How this thread went from austerity measures to people debating history is beyond me.

Also I don't imagine the Greeks will be starting any wars any time soon unless heavily provoked. Especially not against Turkey.

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

You DO realize that the relation between Greece right now and Greece of old is somewhere between jack and shit (read: geography). At best, you can call current greeks Macedonians, but that wouldn't be quite accurate either. Greece has been owned by Macedonia, then Rome, then BYzantine, then Ottomans. It would be one thing if they had fought for their culture throughout all of it, but they integrated VERY will with Macedonia and Rome. Current Greece has nothing to do with the Greece of old, and they don't deserve any of that respect. Not even slightly.

WTF are you talking about? Geography? The Ancient Macedonia IS IN GREECE, and those Macedonians that live there are 100% Greek, they are all people of hellenic heritage. And Ancient Greece predates Rome, Byzantine (which was more Greek than roman anyway) and Ottoman Empire. Macedonians are Greeks just like Russians are Slavs. And what do you mean ''fought for thier culture''? Romans pretty much borrowed everything from it and spread it on their empire. And Im gonna say this for 10th time by now: The history has shown that Greeks (Hellenic peoples) are far from stupid and without them and Rome, most of Europe population would be savage barbarians for a very long time (probably until Muslims or Persians havent conquerd entire Europe and made us all convert to Islam).  I dont think we owe them anything but respect (like with ANY other nation) and the credit for their contributions to our civilization

You see to agree with everything I said so I don't see where the problem is. Macedonia expanded way past Greece, brinin in new cultures. Rome is the same, then Byzantines and Ottomans further diluted Greece into nothingness. Modern Greece has jack shit to do with ancient Greece. It just happens to be in the same geographical location, and happens to have the same name. That's where the similarities end. The modern greeks have no relation to the greeks of old.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Zlejedi said:
Oh poor Greeks after the cuts they will have minimal wages at the level of Poland after 23 years of development and after 2 milions of our people emigrated to western Europe to look for work...

I think I'll start to organize huge protests for someone to bailout us too ;)

I have a friend who lived in Poland and she told me that everything is MUCH cheaper in Poland compared to Greece, so your point doesn't really matter. The minimal wages would be fine if they reflected the price of goods ;)

So yeah, no protest for you just yet!

vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

You DO realize that the relation between Greece right now and Greece of old is somewhere between jack and shit (read: geography). At best, you can call current greeks Macedonians, but that wouldn't be quite accurate either. Greece has been owned by Macedonia, then Rome, then BYzantine, then Ottomans. It would be one thing if they had fought for their culture throughout all of it, but they integrated VERY will with Macedonia and Rome. Current Greece has nothing to do with the Greece of old, and they don't deserve any of that respect. Not even slightly.

WTF are you talking about? Geography? The Ancient Macedonia IS IN GREECE, and those Macedonians that live there are 100% Greek, they are all people of hellenic heritage. And Ancient Greece predates Rome, Byzantine (which was more Greek than roman anyway) and Ottoman Empire. Macedonians are Greeks just like Russians are Slavs. And what do you mean ''fought for thier culture''? Romans pretty much borrowed everything from it and spread it on their empire. And Im gonna say this for 10th time by now: The history has shown that Greeks (Hellenic peoples) are far from stupid and without them and Rome, most of Europe population would be savage barbarians for a very long time (probably until Muslims or Persians havent conquerd entire Europe and made us all convert to Islam).  I dont think we owe them anything but respect (like with ANY other nation) and the credit for their contributions to our civilization

You see to agree with everything I said so I don't see where the problem is. Macedonia expanded way past Greece, brinin in new cultures. Rome is the same, then Byzantines and Ottomans further diluted Greece into nothingness. Modern Greece has jack shit to do with ancient Greece. It just happens to be in the same geographical location, and happens to have the same name. That's where the similarities end. The modern greeks have no relation to the greeks of old.

I wonder where you get those things.No similarities?How about all the names?How about the language?How about the fact that we -did- and -do- live here?What you say applies only to 'Macedonia' (FYROM).Besides geography there's no relation whatsoever with ancient Macedonias.No names,no language,no DNA (based on one of their scientists btw too).

haxxiy said:
Cassiel said:
Mr Khan said:
sethnintendo said:
Mr Khan said:
sethnintendo said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
You know the Arab empire was pretty powerful as well. And don't forget the Han dynasty.
Anyways, do any of you think Greece may end up starting a war to get themselves out of this crisis?

Who would they attack?

Turkey. North Cyprus would be a good place to start, proxy war there to drag Turkey in, then get a war economy running

Isn't Turkey more powerful?

Probably, but Greece would have a fighting chance. If Georgia was stupid enough to provoke Russia in 2008, Greece could certainly try taking a crack at Turkey.

There's no chance in hell for something like that.The Greece of now doesn't start wars,even while Turkey provokes for decades by by flying it's planes over the Aegean sea.It's more like if Greece gets kicked out of the eurozone, then it's more likely to be attacked, not the reverse.As for the military,well they barely have any money for it.That's why they are going to raise the military service duration again.

Extremely crappy economics breed extreme politics though. Greece nowadays ressembles a lot the Weimar republic. Even though Turkey is a NATO member, here's what they could do. Accuse Turkey for taking over some Aegan sea island, start a war over european Turkey and Northern Cyprus, have Germany to invervene and end the war after a few months.

Germany talks it's way out of the military limitations imposed by international treaty, indirectly assumes control over Greece, sets military domination over the region, uses revolts of the turk immigrants in Germany as an excuse to expel them. After a few years Greece resumes sovereignty with a sizeable chunk of western/european Turkey and it's economy back on track, besides national pride restored.

And everything keeps going according to plan for Germany.

As I said Greece doesn't have the means to attack anyone,doesn't do wars anyway, and as much as it shames as is also run by chicken politicians besides corrupted ones, meaning they don't even answer provokations.

Watching the events of the cosmos unfold in tears and solitude

.:Dark Prince:. said:
Zlejedi said:
Oh poor Greeks after the cuts they will have minimal wages at the level of Poland after 23 years of development and after 2 milions of our people emigrated to western Europe to look for work...

I think I'll start to organize huge protests for someone to bailout us too ;)

I have a friend who lived in Poland and she told me that everything is MUCH cheaper in Poland compared to Greece, so your point doesn't really matter. The minimal wages would be fine if they reflected the price of goods ;)

So yeah, no protest for you just yet!

The low minimum wages should be reflected with lower prices for goods and services. Unemployment rate in Greece is around 20% and goods and services are way too expensive for the averqage Greek citizen. 

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:

I wanted to jump in on this real quick even though it is a little off topic since it is about Russia and not Greece.  However,  I have to give my Viking heritage props whenever I can.  While the majority of Russians might be Slavs ( it was actually the Vikings or The Rus which helped pave the way for the nation (getting rid of barbarian and unfriendly tribes blocking the rive trade routes, setting up order, etc..)  If you care to read about it (which I highly suggest since it is pretty interesting) then check out a little sample from wiki.

"According to F. Donald Logan (The Vikings in History, cit. Montgomery, p. 24), "in 839, the Rus' were Swedes. In 1043, the Rus' were Slavs." The Scandinavians were assimilated and, unlike their brethren in England and in Normandy, they left little cultural heritage in Eastern Europe. This near absence of cultural traces (besides several names, as discussed above, and arguably the veche-system of Novgorod, comparable to thing in Scandinavia), is remarkable, and the Slavicists therefore call the Vikings "cultural chameleons", who came, ruled and then disappeared, leaving little cultural trace in Eastern Europe."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_people

Also another wiki article from their Russian page

"According to some modern ethnologists, ethnic Russians originated from the earlier Rus' people and gradually evolved into a separate ethnicity from the western Rus peoples, who became known as the modern-day Belarusians and Ukrainians. Early ancestors of the Russians were East Slavic tribes migrating to the East European Plain in the early Middle Ages. Most prominent Slavic tribes in the area of what is now European Russia included Vyatichs, Krivichs, Radimichs, Severians and Ilmen Slavs. By the 11th century, East Slavs assimilated the Uralic tribes Merya and Muroma, and the Baltic tribe Eastern Galindae that inhabited the same area (now Central Russia)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians

Wow just wow, I'm starting to understand the Greek situation a bit better now due to this thread as I couldn't understand how they could be in such heavy that the country gets taxed until it feels oppressed. From what I'm reading I wouldn't even rule out a civil war breaking out like it did in several middle eastern countries if the country is in such a dire state.

People not wanting their country's future to go to hell, hunger and such are very powerful motivations in triggering events. I'm not going to fault the Greek people here because my family's country of origin Zambia has had it's share of corrupt governments fiddling with finances leading to debts although the country now is in fine financial standing and having strong development and growth so never say never.

Problem I can see here though is that Zambia never had businesses shutting down and is rich in resources like other African countries, I'm not well informed on Greece's resources plus the former never had to to adhere to a single currency.

vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

And they happen to be the same  ethnic people with same ancestors and same ethnic orgin. And dont forget the same geographical location...aaand language....and culture. But I guess if you can ignore all that (which you will) you can argue that modern Greeks have nothing to do with ancient Greeks. I was saying purely from historical perspective that, historically speaking, Greeks are not stupid people, and again historically speaking, they are probably the most influential culture in Europe

They didn't pay taxes for years, so now they will drink water and eat dirt.

Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

And they happen to be the same  ethnic people with same ancestors and same ethnic orgin. And dont forget the same geographical location...aaand language....and culture. But I guess if you can ignore all that (which you will) you can argue that modern Greeks have nothing to do with ancient Greeks. I was saying purely from historical perspective that, historically speaking, Greeks are not stupid people, and again historically speaking, they are probably the most influential culture in Europe

Nothing of what you mentioned really matters in the slightest bit, except for the bolded. As to that, modern greeks have the same culture? Could have fooled me. Have you even BEEN to Greece to be talking about their culture and how it's similar to the old one? You also can't talk about a group of people from the historical perspective unless the group of people is the same one, which it isn't. So your argument is bad at the very core assumptions.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835