By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Greece 'can't take anymore cuts' and Eurozone States 'want Greece out'

It is neither the Left or Right of politics that are to blame for the huge debts and financial mismanagement in Europe. Governments on both sides of politics have mismanaged European economies. Widespread corruption and tax evasion have rotten the core of national economies.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:
Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

You DO realize that the relation between Greece right now and Greece of old is somewhere between jack and shit (read: geography). At best, you can call current greeks Macedonians, but that wouldn't be quite accurate either. Greece has been owned by Macedonia, then Rome, then BYzantine, then Ottomans. It would be one thing if they had fought for their culture throughout all of it, but they integrated VERY will with Macedonia and Rome. Current Greece has nothing to do with the Greece of old, and they don't deserve any of that respect. Not even slightly.

WTF are you talking about? Geography? The Ancient Macedonia IS IN GREECE, and those Macedonians that live there are 100% Greek, they are all people of hellenic heritage. And Ancient Greece predates Rome, Byzantine (which was more Greek than roman anyway) and Ottoman Empire. Macedonians are Greeks just like Russians are Slavs. And what do you mean ''fought for thier culture''? Romans pretty much borrowed everything from it and spread it on their empire. And Im gonna say this for 10th time by now: The history has shown that Greeks (Hellenic peoples) are far from stupid and without them and Rome, most of Europe population would be savage barbarians for a very long time (probably until Muslims or Persians havent conquerd entire Europe and made us all convert to Islam).  I dont think we owe them anything but respect (like with ANY other nation) and the credit for their contributions to our civilization

You see to agree with everything I said so I don't see where the problem is. Macedonia expanded way past Greece, brinin in new cultures. Rome is the same, then Byzantines and Ottomans further diluted Greece into nothingness. Modern Greece has jack shit to do with ancient Greece. It just happens to be in the same geographical location, and happens to have the same name. That's where the similarities end. The modern greeks have no relation to the greeks of old.

And they happen to be the same  ethnic people with same ancestors and same ethnic orgin. And dont forget the same geographical location...aaand language....and culture. But I guess if you can ignore all that (which you will) you can argue that modern Greeks have nothing to do with ancient Greeks. I was saying purely from historical perspective that, historically speaking, Greeks are not stupid people, and again historically speaking, they are probably the most influential culture in Europe

Nothing of what you mentioned really matters in the slightest bit, except for the bolded. As to that, modern greeks have the same culture? Could have fooled me. Have you even BEEN to Greece to be talking about their culture and how it's similar to the old one? You also can't talk about a group of people from the historical perspective unless the group of people is the same one, which it isn't. So your argument is bad at the very core assumptions.

Just what exactöy are ypu trying to say here? That modern Greeks arent related to the ancient ones? I mean, do you have any idea how retarded that sounds? They are the same people in every single aspect...I dont know what could possibly make you think otherwise, and so far, you havent presented a single argument that supports you. Geography? Look on the map of Balkans to see where ancient Macedonia is (not FYR)

Player1x3 said:
vlad321 said:

Nothing of what you mentioned really matters in the slightest bit, except for the bolded. As to that, modern greeks have the same culture? Could have fooled me. Have you even BEEN to Greece to be talking about their culture and how it's similar to the old one? You also can't talk about a group of people from the historical perspective unless the group of people is the same one, which it isn't. So your argument is bad at the very core assumptions.

Just what exactöy are ypu trying to say here? That modern Greeks arent related to the ancient ones? I mean, do you have any idea how retarded that sounds? They are the same people in every single aspect...I dont know what could possibly make you think otherwise, and so far, you havent presented a single argument that supports you. Geography? Look on the map of Balkans to see where ancient Macedonia is (not FYR)

I thoght I was pretty clear with my sentence. Let me rephrase it to single out my point cause you seem to have a problem with that.

... modern greeks have the same culture? Could have fooled me. Have you even BEEN to Greece to be talking about their culture and how it's similar to the one of the ancient greeks?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835