By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii Sports become the biggest selling game of all time?

gitanil said:
Yes, definitely and it will probably go on to sell tens of millions more.

do you think it could make it to 100 mil?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

If Nintendo's "Blue Ocean" strategy really works and enough people buy the system, then yes, Wii Sports could theoretically break 100 million units. However, that would require not only that it remain a pack-in for its entire lifespan, but also that their plan to bring gaming to the world at large be so successful that the Wii ends up selling more units than the PS2 did (acounting for Wii Sports not being packed in for Japanese systems, and possibly not in the soon-to-be-introduced regions either).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

^yes you make a good point,if it continues to get bundles it has a shot

brute said:
gitanil said:

Probably not because its not bundled in Japan, so even if the Wii sells 100 million, Wii Sports won't.

But good chance at 60-80 mil, IMO.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

Yes, the game is a pack-in with the Wii. So each time a Wii is sold, Wii Sports is being sold also. And another thing Wii Sports is not even a pack-in in Japan, but it sells extremely well on its own.

Wii Sports was a good game to get consumers to learn the Wii better at first hand. Nintendo did an excellent job providing this game with the Wii.

I still play this game and Wii Play even now. It's fun to play with friends and family members 8)

Around the Network

It will beat Super Mario Bros. if it continues to be a pack-in. However, if they for some reason stop packing it in, then it may not reach that point.

gitanil said:
brute said:
gitanil said:

Probably not because its not bundled in Japan, so even if the Wii sells 100 million, Wii Sports won't.

yes but what if wii sells more then 100 mil in america and europe alone

brute said:
gitanil said:
brute said:
gitanil said:

yes but what if wii sells more then 100 mil in america and europe alone

Certainly a possibility. Plus there are the stand alone sales from Japan to account for.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

If it remains bundled; yes, of course.
Cheap victory though imo, all consoles could have one game bundled should they wish too.
If WiiSports end up with monstrous sales because of bundling, it is in no way a sign of it being a tremendously popular game, it'll be a sign that you HAD to buy it to get a Wii.

Shissy said:
I hope they bundle Wii with something else when Wii Sports is in second place. It doesn't deserve first to be honest.

Why doesn't it deserve to be in first? While I admit that I am first and foremost a Sony fan, I congratulate Nintendo for the Wii. They tried a new approach and it paid off (though I think they should have left the name as Nintendo Revolution because thats exactly what it is... and I don't personally care much for the name "Wii").