By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 successor features tablet-like controller with HD screen, touch-enabled?

Khuutra said:
Relative graphical parity with the Wii U. Kinect focused. Emphasis on non-game content.

Yes. Yes, all according to plan. All according to plan.

OT: I wonder just how many controller options Microsoft might actually be considering putting in the box. I could see a tablet controller like this as an optional peripheral, as developers are probably likely to have already developed the gameplay and interfaces to use it on the Wii U, so even as just an optional peripheral, it could easily get lots of support.

But whether it's going to be sold with every NextBox is a different deal. Price is key after all.

Around the Network

what will be next? apple or samsung copying nintendo and showing us a tablet?

I don`t know... new console with an updated Kinect, with a tablet controller... seems to be too expensive if the idea is to keep going after the more casual crowd.

If they rush they may release it before Wii U so in the eye of the world will look like Nintendo is copying them!!!!

Switch!!!

Microsoft will have a very difficult time selling a console with a touch screen controller and Kinetic. The controller itself would need to be extremely expensive if it is to out gun Nintendo's. Also the smaller more compact size will make it difficult for Microsoft gamers to get the same game play as Nintendo consumers. Thus defeating any benefit to Microsoft.

I wonder if this tablet controller will really be the primary control system. I have doubts Microsoft would bundle this with the console. It would make sense for Microsoft to have an Xbox brand tablet comparable with the next Xbox. But to bundle a controller with touch screen would be stupid.

Classic consumers will freak. Nintendo owns the casual market and they have always been seen as the leader of the industry. It would make a little sense to release a tablet controller system alongside Nintendo's. But it wouldn't work for Microsoft in the long run.

399$ estimated price sounds very optimistic. I have doubts Nintendo can release WiiU at a profit for 350$ and even greater doubts that Microsoft could launch the nextbox for 400$ and turn a profit. According to rumors the console will be 20% more powerful then WiiU choosing to go after Nintendo in a direct fire fight. But unlike Nintendo Microsoftbappears to be planning a more expensive Kinetic camera

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Microsoft launching this console at a loss in the current economic crisis would be pretty stupid. Launching the console at 500$ which if rumors are correct I could see the needed price to break even. 500$ would be suicide nobody would buy one.

Microsoft is playing into Nintendo's hands. Actually I think Nintendo showed the tablet controller so long in advance to get competitors to copy. Nintendo's biggest problem last generation was that major games couldn't be ported. But what if Nintendo could get its competitors to lower their graphical power. Get Microsoft and Sony to take the bait and release tablet controllers?

Nintendo did not reveal so much without purpose. They didn't reveal to much when they unveiled the Wiimote at THE purposely saying competitors would copy so they kept it secret as long as possible. I am betting Nintendo revealed as little as possible while giving competitors a vague idea of what they are dealing with.

I don't think we will know Nintendo WiiU's capabilities till E3 though I bet Nintendo will hold back at least one feature till launch. Microsoft will need to launch this winter if they are releasing a touch screen controller. If its features Microsoft is after Nintendo will slaughter them.

Microsoft cannot fight Nintendo on its home turf. PS Rol I am a Nintendo fan but MS is my second favorite company. So the makes me a Microsoft fan.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Nsanity said:

(Scan text)

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than WiiU's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

My favorite part... just goes to show mediatic bias and lack of integrity.

The Wii U controller is in no way bulky. Next, if the 360 controller is as small as the Vita, then it promises claw-grip. Next again, the Vita doesn't look anything like an iPad for anything other than a glossy screen and it color: black. Here is what the WiiU controller looks like from the front and back.

And here the Vita. I don't see it proportionally thinner than the Wii U controller given front surface:

And now the numbers

Wii U

h 7"  w 10.5"  d 1.8"

face vs depth ratio: 40.83

Vita

h 3.289"  w 7.2" d 0.73"

face vs depth ratio: 32.44

Vita's is smaller, but then again it's unclear whether the number I got subtracted the back wing for the sholder buttons, which should not be counted in the depth numbers when it comes to "bulkiness".

Lots of rumours and stories are out there at the moment. An upcoming game show expo E3 or TGS will reveal official information to confirm the existence of the next console generations technological specifications and upcoming games in development.

Early adopters always pay a premium for the new consoles with a limited games library on offer. It is a good idea to wait and see for a couple of years and see what the competition has to offer, the games library to grow and a price cut.

happydolphin said:

Nsanity said:

(Scan text)

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than WiiU's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

My favorite part... just goes to show mediatic bias and lack of integrity.

The Wii U controller is in no way bulky. Next, if the 360 controller is as small as the Vita, then it promises claw-grip. Next again, the Vita doesn't look anything like an iPad for anything other than a glossy screen and it color: black. Here is what the WiiU controller looks like from the front and back.

And here the Vita. I don't see it proportionally thinner than the Wii U controller given front surface:

And now the numbers

Wii U

h 7"  w 10.5"  d 1.8"

face vs depth ratio: 40.83

Vita

h 3.289"  w 7.2" d 0.73"

face vs depth ratio: 32.44

Vita's is smaller, but then again it's unclear whether the number I got subtracted the back wing for the sholder buttons, which should not be counted in the depth numbers when it comes to "bulkiness".

the point expressed in the article is what you would call an opinion...

The console without a touchscreen on the controller is the one I will pick next generation.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!