By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 successor features tablet-like controller with HD screen, touch-enabled?

Gaming Everything

Xbox World has published new rumors about Microsoft’s new home console in its March 2012 issue.

Tucked away on a random page is a report that the system will feature a tablet-inspired controller with an HD screen. It will supposedly be touch-enabled, which makes it sound quite similar to what Nintendo has created with Wii U. However, unlike Nintendo’s new console controller, Xbox World sources say that Microsoft’s tablet has “a shape closer to Sony’s sleek Vita handheld / Apple’s iPad than Wii U’s bulky unit”.

The magazine also claims that the controller will include “extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.”

Xbox World’s full report can be read below.

“The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too.

“Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony’s sleek Vita handheld / Apple’s iPad than Wii U’s bulky unit – it’s an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

“On 360 that touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you’re watching TV, a browser when you’re on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.

“If the next Xbox is starting to sound awfully expensive, you’d be right. 360 launched at £279 while PS3 launched at £425, so – we’re speculating here – £399 wouldn’t be an unprecedented figure to put on a machine with Kinect and a touch controller in the box. Microsoft are playing safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won’t be cheap. Expect to see the next Xbox at E3 this June.”

http://gamingeverything.com/15108/rumor-360-successor-features-tablet-like-controller-with-hd-screen-touch-enabled/

Around the Network

I really hope not because we don't need more of these "___ is copying Nintendo!" arguments.

I hope it's fake... this would add a lot to the cost...

Microsoft is copying Nintendo! Waaaaah!!

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

RolStoppable said:
NintendoPie said:
I really hope not because we don't need more of these "___ is copying Nintendo!" arguments.

The three Xbox fans on this website are usually reasonable, so there wouldn't be much of an argument.

I can't tell if you meant to write that or not...

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

but there's no need to say it, it's obvious, common sense

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Hmmm I wouldn't think so. While I'm excited for the Wii U everytime I see the controller I just think how horribly uncomfortable and unwieldy it would be to use for First Person shooters, fast paced action games etc etc. It's just too big.

If MS went with this it would most likely hurt their core gamer market (CoD, Halo etc)

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

copying them a lot earlier I see lol.

i'm thinking what's the next rumor about next xbox
air conditioner function maybe?

looks to me as if there is a copy feast going on