By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Official US Politics Thread 'Ron Paul quietly amassing an army of delegates while GOP frontrunners spar' and 'Mitt Romney rebounds against the Santorum surge'

Slimebeast said:

I dislike the Democrats and liberal politics and worldview but I want Obama to win against anyone besides Ron Paul.

It seems like I've seen you say this a few times, so I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Obama has flip flopped on critical issues at least as often as Romney, is also an insincere creep, and has done nothing but spew clichés and catchphrases from day one ("YES WE CAN! HURRRRR!"). So, does it merely come down to a matter of charisma? I ask because it seems quite obvious that pretty much every president, at least in the age of mass media, has been the guy with the best stage presence and media image, and while people are generally comfortable with acknowledging that this is how the masses decide their vote, they tend to try to rationalize their own individual preference as being more intellectual or principled than that.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:

I dislike the Democrats and liberal politics and worldview but I want Obama to win against anyone besides Ron Paul.

It seems like I've seen you say this a few times, so I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Obama has flip flopped on critical issues at least as often as Romney, is also an insincere creep, and has done nothing but spew clichés and catchphrases from day one ("YES WE CAN! HURRRRR!"). So, does it merely come down to a matter of charisma?

Yes lol

Slimebeast said:
badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:

It seems like I've seen you say this a few times, so I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Obama has flip flopped on critical issues at least as often as Romney, is also an insincere creep, and has done nothing but spew clichés and catchphrases from day one ("YES WE CAN! HURRRRR!"). So, does it merely come down to a matter of charisma?

Yes lol

Well, that's both refreshingly honest and rather distressing. Although I guess I make my decisions based on charisma, too. The main reason I'd prefer to see a non-Paul Republican beat Obama despite my lack of enthusiasm for any of them is because they lack charisma. There's something profoundly unsettling about having a guy who orders the killing of an American citizen based on justifications in a secret memo going on late night talk shows and having the crowds (and much of the media who is supposed to be holding him to account) swooning over him and his perfect smile and his perfectly pressed pants.

badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:
badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:

Yes lol

Well, that's both refreshingly honest and rather distressing. Although I guess I make my decisions based on charisma, too. The main reason I'd prefer to see a non-Paul Republican beat Obama despite my lack of enthusiasm for any of them is because they lack charisma. There's something profoundly unsettling about having a guy who orders the killing of an American citizen based on justifications in a secret memo going on late night talk shows and having the crowds (and much of the media who is supposed to be holding him to account) swooning over him and his perfect smile and his perfectly pressed pants.

I agree with everything you have said. It makes me sad too.

My point is that either you put forward a candidate that is extremely good at manipulating and playing the media game (Reagan, Clinton, Obama) or either you try with something truly genuine and original (the talented with honest heart guy, the Ron Paul type who seldom tends to get anywhere high in politics. Not "Newt original" ). The latter is nearly impossible but if you can't do that you make sure to do the former.

Slimebeast said:

I agree with everything you have said. It makes me sad too.

My point is that either you put forward a candidate that is extremely good at manipulating and playing the media game (Reagan, Clinton, Obama) or either you try with something truly genuine and original (the talented with honest heart guy, the Ron Paul type who seldom tends to get anywhere high in politics. Not "Newt original" ). The latter is nearly impossible but if you can't do that you make sure to do the former.

I don't think Paul is all that talented, honestly. He's more genuine and has a better understanding of - and more respect for - the Constitution than the average politician (which is not really saying much), but he doesn't really do all that great a job articulating why he believes what he believes. I like him and agree with him on most things, so the fact that he succeeds in making himself look like such a fucking oddball all the time makes me sad. (Although even at his absolute nuttiest, he's still the sanest man in Washington by a damn sight.)

I kind of think no Republican with an actual shot at becoming president wanted to go up against Obama because they know the media has his back and the whole thing boils down to a sort of beauty contest anyway thanks to an increasingly unsophisticated electorate, rendering Obama essentially unbeatable even in a shitty economy. Since it's just kind of Romney's "turn" after he's spent most of the past decade running for president, he's the one who gets to play Bob Dole to Obama's Clinton, and the serious contenders will try their hand in 2016, assuming the country makes it that far.

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:
Kasz216 said:
man-bear-pig said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well Obama is a tad bit better than The Bush, so if we keep getting a tad bit better every four years we should have a president on par with a Roosevelt in 20 years!

Yeah, Obama is a whole lot better than bush, but Romney and santorum looks like a backwards step. One step forwards and 2 steps back.

Oh, and I just realised that I cited iTunes as the source in that last article. *facepalm* Damn synopsis' in my brain!

In what way is Obama a whole lot better then Bush?

I mean, he's been MORE agressive on the war on terror... violating more countries soverinity more often then bush.

Kept in place all of the "abuses of freedom" people see, while stealthly adding a bit to them....

and kept on with the same ruinous economic policies... while deciding to implement an extremly costly healthcare plan that causes uncertantity and companies to keep cash on hand because nobody knows the compliance costs.

The only positive things I can think of that have happened during his administration were things that already followed the Bush Timetable (Iraq withdrawl) or things that he had nothing to do with.  (GoProud's removal of don't ask don't tell.... which he fought against.)

I'm on my iPod so I can't really type a long reply. But Bush was the guy who got involved in the war in the first place, and ruined Americas standing in the world. On top of that he was an idiot. 

I'm still not seeing much of a difference.

Obama's been starting his own wars... it's just the nations he's picking on aren't willing to fight back.

He's killed hundreds of innocent civilians in Pakistan in drone attacks along with something like 160 children. GREATLY increasing the intensity of what Bush did.  While setting a precendent that it's ok for the US government to intentionally kill a US citizen, without a trial, just by suspecting said person may be a terrorist.  You don't even get the luxuary of a trial in absentia.

He's really shown himself if anything to be more beligerant then Bush.

Obama's been MORE agressive on the war on terror then bush ever was, violating more peoples rights more often.  He hasn't used ground forces anywhere, but we're already in the middle of two ground wars.  Switch their presidencies orders, and I'd wager we were in both Afghanistan and Pakistan right now.

Heck, combine that with the bombings in Libya... and really eveyrthing else....

I hate to say it, but you just come off woefully uninformed.

It just gets overlooked because he's a democrat, so most democrats stand behind him, and most republicans keep queit because those are reasons to support him.

The only people who really pay attention are Libretarians and then actual democrats who believe what they say, like Dennis Kucinich.

The conflicts in Libya and Pakistan is mainly just using US air power. Dropping bombs from above is so much easier than actually going into a country. We might as well drop whatever each bomb is worth in money so instead of pissing people off we might actually give them joy in receiving some of our worthless money.

Kasz216 said:

Whether it's out of partisan hypocrisy or sheer ignorance, I'm not entirely sure, but the popularity of Gitmo and drone attacks is at an all time high, including among self-identified liberal Democrats. I do think there's a strong "Nixon goes to China" aspect to it, and just like Bush could massively increase the size of the regulatory apparatus without rousing conservatives, Obama can bomb the shit out of everything without Dems getting their panties in a twist.

badgenome said:

Obama can bomb the shit out of everything without Dems getting their panties in a twist.

Kasz216 said:
man-bear-pig said:
Kasz216 said:
man-bear-pig said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well Obama is a tad bit better than The Bush, so if we keep getting a tad bit better every four years we should have a president on par with a Roosevelt in 20 years!

Yeah, Obama is a whole lot better than bush, but Romney and santorum looks like a backwards step. One step forwards and 2 steps back.

Oh, and I just realised that I cited iTunes as the source in that last article. *facepalm* Damn synopsis' in my brain!

In what way is Obama a whole lot better then Bush?

I mean, he's been MORE agressive on the war on terror... violating more countries soverinity more often then bush.

Kept in place all of the "abuses of freedom" people see, while stealthly adding a bit to them....

and kept on with the same ruinous economic policies... while deciding to implement an extremly costly healthcare plan that causes uncertantity and companies to keep cash on hand because nobody knows the compliance costs.

The only positive things I can think of that have happened during his administration were things that already followed the Bush Timetable (Iraq withdrawl) or things that he had nothing to do with.  (GoProud's removal of don't ask don't tell.... which he fought against.)

I'm on my iPod so I can't really type a long reply. But Bush was the guy who got involved in the war in the first place, and ruined Americas standing in the world. On top of that he was an idiot. 

I'm still not seeing much of a difference.

Obama's been starting his own wars... it's just the nations he's picking on aren't willing to fight back.

He's killed hundreds of innocent civilians in Pakistan in drone attacks along with something like 160 children. GREATLY increasing the intensity of what Bush did.  While setting a precendent that it's ok for the US government to intentionally kill a US citizen, without a trial, just by suspecting said person may be a terrorist.  You don't even get the luxuary of a trial in absentia.

Obama's been MORE agressive on the war on terror then bush ever was, violating more peoples rights more often.  He hasn't used ground forces anywhere, but we're already in the middle of two ground wars.  Switch their presidencies orders, and I'd wager we were in both Afghanistan and Pakistan right now.

Heck, combine that with the bombings in Libya... and really eveyrthing else....

I hate to say it, but you just come off woefully uninformed.

Why shouldn't Obama try to seek out and kill terror threats to the USA? The drone bombings are a cheaper and more effective method than sending in the army, like bush did. Are you saying that less than 160 children were killed during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Ground wars cost the most money and the most damage to international relations, and are a main component of why the USA has $15tn debt.