By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Official US Politics Thread 'Ron Paul quietly amassing an army of delegates while GOP frontrunners spar' and 'Mitt Romney rebounds against the Santorum surge'

I like Seth's comments.

Just need to let him know. Well done Seth.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Viper1 said:
al-Awlaki was killed because he was telling truth in a place the US doesn't want truth to be told.

Find al-Awlakis videos and watch them. I don't condone his actions (getting people killed) but he was killed for not accepting the US BS and telling the truth about why America has become a target of radical Muslims.

Basically, they want us to leave them alone right and not have any bases over there.  I don't even really see the point of bases on land anyways when we have the aircraft carrier fleet that we have.  Putting one or two carrier fleets in the region is enough power to stop most countries in their tracks.

The question is will they stop their Anti-American hate if we actually did pull out of those countries or would they just continue to chant death to America.  My guess is that they would continue the chant but I don't see any point in land bases over there myself. 

How would most Americans like Saudi Arabia or any other Muslim nation to have a base inside the USA?  Probably wouldn't like it too much. 

The bases are only a part of it so just removing tropps and bases won't be enough to completely remove their frustrations.

The 2 other major factors are our killing of innocent civillians with no consequences and our interference with their national politics.
We kill their children with no legal repercusions and overthrow their governemnt sto install dictoars favorable to us (which fail).

Who wouldn't be pissed to no end?  The way to get them to stop the hate is to change policy. 

The saddest thing is, we do not have an enemy we did not help create.  untilw e realize that at the federal level, we're doomed to create new enemies no matter what we do to the ones we already have.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I never expected Ron Paul to win. He is the candidate representing liberty and liberty isn't popular anywhere in the world. It is no surprise that Ron Paul's best state so far is the Live Free or Die state of New Hampshire. But even with how well Ron Paul did in New Hampshire, he didn't even win here.
http://freestateproject.org/intro/ron_paul

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Viper1 said:
sethnintendo said:

Basically, they want us to leave them alone right and not have any bases over there.  I don't even really see the point of bases on land anyways when we have the aircraft carrier fleet that we have.  Putting one or two carrier fleets in the region is enough power to stop most countries in their tracks.

The question is will they stop their Anti-American hate if we actually did pull out of those countries or would they just continue to chant death to America.  My guess is that they would continue the chant but I don't see any point in land bases over there myself. 

How would most Americans like Saudi Arabia or any other Muslim nation to have a base inside the USA?  Probably wouldn't like it too much. 

The bases are only a part of it so just removing tropps and bases won't be enough to completely remove their frustrations.

The 2 other major factors are our killing of innocent civillians with no consequences and our interference with their national politics.
We kill their children with no legal repercusions and overthrow their governemnt sto install dictoars favorable to us (which fail).

Who wouldn't be pissed to no end?  The way to get them to stop the hate is to change policy. 

The saddest thing is, we do not have an enemy we did not help create.  untilw e realize that at the federal level, we're doomed to create new enemies no matter what we do to the ones we already have.

Pretty good points there especially about overthrowing governments (help installing or protecting the power of favorable dictators).  I can think of a few countries where we messed that one up.  Iran, El Salvador, Pakistan, Panama, etc....  (just doing a quick Google search will bring some pages up (pages might be a little amateurish but most deal with the basic facts, http://www.military-veterans-for-justice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=13 )

Our foreign policy has been a very sore spot especially the post WW2 - present.  After WW2 it seems that this country just went hell bent on setting up the worse foreign policy procedures ever.  We must have learned something from the Nazis.. Like how to make ourselves look like dicks on an international stage.

Viper1 said:
sethnintendo said:
Viper1 said:
al-Awlaki was killed because he was telling truth in a place the US doesn't want truth to be told.

Find al-Awlakis videos and watch them. I don't condone his actions (getting people killed) but he was killed for not accepting the US BS and telling the truth about why America has become a target of radical Muslims.

We didn't help create North Korea, unless you want to go into a very roundabout argument, though i agree with your statements on the whole. I would argue that our foreign policy is ill-suited to a post Cold-War world, in which we continue to act as if there is an enemy that is truly a threat to us and that we must be vigilant against crackpot dictators and undeveloped countries.

We should wield the carrot more readily than the stick. All over the world now, there is an awakening of a desire for normalcy and simple prosperity, a process that has been underway since the end of the Cold War, and if we allow self-determination and human rights to take hold, world peace could very well be in our grasp, at least until the oil runs out...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:

I agree with everything you have said. It makes me sad too.

My point is that either you put forward a candidate that is extremely good at manipulating and playing the media game (Reagan, Clinton, Obama) or either you try with something truly genuine and original (the talented with honest heart guy, the Ron Paul type who seldom tends to get anywhere high in politics. Not "Newt original" ). The latter is nearly impossible but if you can't do that you make sure to do the former.

I don't think Paul is all that talented, honestly. He's more genuine and has a better understanding of - and more respect for - the Constitution than the average politician (which is not really saying much), but he doesn't really do all that great a job articulating why he believes what he believes. I like him and agree with him on most things, so the fact that he succeeds in making himself look like such a fucking oddball all the time makes me sad. (Although even at his absolute nuttiest, he's still the sanest man in Washington by a damn sight.)

I kind of think no Republican with an actual shot at becoming president wanted to go up against Obama because they know the media has his back and the whole thing boils down to a sort of beauty contest anyway thanks to an increasingly unsophisticated electorate, rendering Obama essentially unbeatable even in a shitty economy. Since it's just kind of Romney's "turn" after he's spent most of the past decade running for president, he's the one who gets to play Bob Dole to Obama's Clinton, and the serious contenders will try their hand in 2016, assuming the country makes it that far.

Isn't that the same as Democrats vs Bush Jr? We didn't see any decent candidates until Bush was out either.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

Isn't that the same as Democrats vs Bush Jr? We didn't see any decent candidates until Bush was out either.

Yeah. In fact, Mitt Romney is startlingly similar to John Kerry, and if Kerry couldn't unseat an unpopular Bush (though Bush only became epically unpopular during his second term), I don't see how Romney stands a chance against a similarly unpopular Obama who will have the media working overtime for him.

badgenome said:
Squilliam said:

Yeah. In fact, Mitt Romney is startlingly similar to John Kerry, and if Kerry couldn't unseat an unpopular Bush (though Bush only became epically unpopular during his second term), I don't see how Romney stands a chance against a similarly unpopular Obama who will have the media working overtime for him.

I suspect the bigger problem is that the Repub candidates have to appease the nutty core of their party, I.E. the ones who bother to vote in primaries when in reality they need to appeal to independents/moderates who aren't affilliated. Elections aren't won by appealing to your base, essentially X % of people will vote Republican anyway, the swing voters win elections. By the time they do actually manage to have a candidate, that person will be dripping with all the dirt and promises made to people who don't matter to the cause anyway and Obama can run a relatively clean campaign in comparison and pick apart all the various promises and indiscretions bought up.

I can't really comment on the media situation as I don't watch the news!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
badgenome said:
Squilliam said:

I suspect the bigger problem is that the Repub candidates have to appease the nutty core of their party, I.E. the ones who bother to vote in primaries when in reality they need to appeal to independents/moderates who aren't affilliated. Elections aren't won by appealing to your base, essentially X % of people will vote Republican anyway, the swing voters win elections. By the time they do actually manage to have a candidate, that person will be dripping with all the dirt and promises made to people who don't matter to the cause anyway and Obama can run a relatively clean campaign in comparison and pick apart all the various promises and indiscretions bought up.

I don't really think so. Assuming it's Romney who wins, he's as bland and inoffensive as a politician can get. Even when he panders, he does it in a remarkably bloodless way. That lifeless, John Kerry like image is what's going to do him in because the most telegenic guy wins, period. That and the fact that it's incredibly hard to beat an incumbent. For all voters' bitching about how much they hate Washington insiders and all their giving Congress a 9% approval rating, 90% of incumbents cruise to reelection. Except for 2010 when it was a veritable bloodbath for incumbents and only 85% won.

badgenome said:
Squilliam said:
badgenome said:
Squilliam said:

I don't really think so. Assuming it's Romney who wins, he's as bland and inoffensive as a politician can get. Even when he panders, he does it in a remarkably bloodless way. That lifeless, John Kerry like image is what's going to do him in because the most telegenic guy wins, period. That and the fact that it's incredibly hard to beat an incumbent. For all voters' bitching about how much they hate Washington insiders and all their giving Congress a 9% approval rating, 90% of incumbents cruise to reelection. Except for 2010 when it was a veritable bloodbath for incumbents and only 85% won.

That is probably caused by flaws in the human psyche. People naturally elect tall, handsome, charismatic men as leaders and this isn't because physical attributes make a better person but because they like people with better physical attributes. The ironic thing is that whilst you can claim that humans are smarter than computers, computers often make the better decisions due to the fact that 2+2 = 4 always for a computer.

For example:

Sportscaster: That was a fantastic 3 under par though the player will be disapointed he didn't match his previous 7 under the previous day.

Computer: The player regressed to the mean of his average performance.

Tease.