By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let Me Try This Again, Sony Copies Nintendo's Wii U Controller

well it looks like i'll never get the answer to my question (if Sony didn't know Nintendo was making this controller for the Wiiu then how could it possibly be copying) so i'll no longer bother with it.

i must say op, you did manage to get constructive conversation going, and this thread will likely last for the next 3 days.

well, back to the Vita thread.

Around the Network

i want to thank the OP for this thread and i shall award it the Selnor medal of excellence in the category of thread entertainment, as well as the Nintendo gamer trophy of true enlightenment.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Player1x3 said:

Lesson 101 How to be fooled by appearances.

Also, if you want to play that game:

Other thing is, The Last Guardian screenshot is fan-made, sorry.

HappySqurriel said:
As much as I do think many companies copy other company's successful ideas, I don't believe that patents demonstrate an accurate timeline of companies taking the initiative to produce anything. We live at a time where there is a patent arms race going, and most large tech companies are patenting anything that they can imagine to protect themselves against potential lawsuits on products they may produce.

Part of the reason massive and fundamental IP reform is needed, internationally so that we can circumvent this damned "corporate personhood" bullshit

I understand that a corporation needs to exist as an entity, of course, but they abuse the notion. Corporations should not be allowed to own any patents or intellectual property period, barring branding trademarks. All other IPs should belong to their inventors.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:
Player1x3 said:

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Player1x3 said:

Oh i love playing games !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYXsPMg9lM

Player1x3 said:
happydolphin said:
Player1x3 said:

This you have yet to answer.

iPad ? It came after the 3DS.

Sure. Count that. Might as well also count old remote controls with digital displays on them in that case... Plus, extremely limited interactivity features are there, the touchscreen, the seamless passing of graphical objects and data from the controller to the screen, the gyro controls, the IR controller to TV 3D space, none of that is here... If this is step one, the Wii U is at step 1000. The is the Le Stick of controller embedded visuals...

Here is  a video of the Dreamcast VMU pushed to its limits... http://youtu.be/hWvUtBw3NFg (scroll a few seconds beyond 0:00 it glitches for some reason).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYXsPMg9lM

Wow, I've never seen such an awkard control layout... It was bad on the dual shock, omg I didn't expect it to be that bad. :(

Anyways, remote play/download play's been achieved before, plus the PSVita is not a controller, it's a handheld, so it's a different topic. But even if you do consider that, there was download play for the DS and whatnot. But it's not a central point to the debate anyways.

Yah... ok, the PocketStation. The Transfer pack came out 4 months after this. This was not embedded on the sony controller, so what?

@My words in bold.

happydolphin said:
Player1x3 said:
happydolphin said:
Player1x3 said:

This you have yet to answer.

Plus, extremely limited interactivity features are there, the touchscreen, the seamless passing of graphical objects and data from the controller to the screen, the gyro controls, the IR controller to TV 3D space, none of that is here... If this is step one, the Wii U is at step 1000.

This is the point that I was making as well.  We saw interactivity between console and handheld with the GC/GBA.  I have no doubt that the PS3/Vita can do this kind of performance at a much higher level.  I would also bet that the PS3/Vita could in fact run a full, less intensive game on both screens with interactivity.  It's something like Uncharted or GOW that I have trouble buying.

But to be fair, the only hands-on that anyone has had so far with WiiU are relatively simple affairs such as Chase Mii and Battle Mii.  The Zelda HD demo was definitely running in real time, and was definitely appearing on both screens simultaneously, but I'm sure that WiiU is incapable of actually rendering a game of that intensity multiple times (as if powered by separate consoles).  This is why WiiU's streaming ability seems so unique; it seems to allow interactivity with the full game, on multiple displays of the full game.  While it's certainly not multiple renderings, it's still far beyond just outputting multiple images via multiple outputs (i.e. walking into Best Buy and seeing a movie being displayed on multiple TVs).

Only the devs really know what the WiiU is capable of, but hearing things like Yoshinori Ono's recent optimism and the fact that Nintendo is really pushing the feature as something new keeps me hopeful.  In any case, we'll know much more in four months.

BluGamer23 said:
glimmer_of_hope said:
oniyide said:
LOL, they should lock the thread again because the guy didnt seem to learn his lesson. PSP came out before 08. They had that remote play thing for a while. Granted, it kind of sucked. BUt what is does is stream some content from PS3 to PSP, Not that much different from Wii U tablet and no GBA to GC connectivity doesnt count as it doesnt even do the same thing the others are doing.

Plus, lets be honest here, SOny has there own actual tablet, did anyone really think that they werent gonna intergrate the two to some extent??

LOL....um no. Again this is not about PSP. Do you think Sony would apply for a patent for something to do with the PS3, 4 years after PS3 was released?. Let me try to explain sllllooowwwlllyyy to you. I clearly stated it was a WiiU like controller copy.

The patent I am referring to is NOT for the PSP or remote play. This is for 2010, something completly new.

Do you understand that? 

this sony wii-u like controller is obviously the superior one.. best thing EVARR! ..the wii-u is a stupid idea.. even ninty fans apparently hates it

Lol who are those Ninty fans? I sure don’t hate the idea and I haven’t seen hate from Nintendo fans.

OT: why do you care what people think? Some people will not believe you are holding an apple in your hand even though you are showing them that you are. Some Sony fans don’t even know what games are made by Sony and what is made by 3rd party devs

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Wii U tablet is definitely not a new concept. Even if you think tablet controllers, iPad and iPhone could have been as controllers for stereo systems etc for a while. Sure, iPad and iPhone have not been used as remote gaming controllers but they have had capability for doing that for a long time, Apple just haven't been enabled that yet (Apple have never been quick to support gaming and reason is that, according to many, Steve Jobs hated gaming). Remote Play on PSP may not have touch screen but it is basically a similar concept as Wii U. Then again, I don't care whether Sony or Nintendo copied each other or that they might have copied someone else (I doubt idea is created originally by neither Sony nor Nintendo).