By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let Me Try This Again, Sony Copies Nintendo's Wii U Controller

Mmmfishtacos said:

Well you're the one saying it's going to display the same graphics 1:1, which it isn't. you'll see a similar disparity between the WiiU and its tablet as you will with the PSV and a PS3.

Fair enough mmmuffin, but it goes way beyond that. All the effects (lighting, particles, AA), all the AI processing, draw distances, all the processing that can be done ona PS3, but not on Vita, that disparity will not exist in the WiiU's case ;) Most of that is not hindered by a lower resolution. good enough I think we should wrap it up btw us with that, on a positive note.

@archbrix. Don't be so hard on the lad. He made a minoot error in logic :)

Around the Network
BluGamer23 said:

ah who cares you just know nintendo will sell more console than sony.. let sony be sony I feel sorry for the bastards anyway.. the psv is dying a slowly.. they lost heaps of money.. and the fans gotto hold on to some hope.. this shows nintendo might be on to something with this tablet controller..

funny thing is when the WiiU was announced Im pretty sure sony-only guys and haters says its the tablet controller is the STUPIDEST THING EVARR!! and still saying it to this day!.. now whats GOLD is when/if sony shows off their tablet ps4 controller.. it will be the BEST THING EVARR!! ... just wait and see this happen! haha

LoL

Unfortunately you're right and the past has proven this many times (Wiimote vs. PS Move)...

archbrix said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
happydolphin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
archbrix said:

My point being that the WiiU's ability to stream with this kind of performance may not be able to be done on the PS3/Vita, despite the fact that the Vita is a far more capable device on its own than a WiiU controller is.  Only time will tell, though.

Well look at it this way, GT5 Supports 3 monotrs, running 3 playstation 3's in tandom, one being the server. showing 3 diffent views, So yes, it's very possible for the vita and ps3 to do this. Beside, sony already said they could.

Yup, you're right. You'll need 3 Playstation 3s and 1 if not 4 Vitas. Good idea tho, sounds just about market feasible. 

I'm not sure you understand. You'll only need one, ps3 and 1 vita, or more vitas for extra players. In GT's case you need 3 PS3's just for the video out's. Point is, it can run side by side, and be fluent.

So you're going back to graphics argument? Cause we all know how that goes. Doesn't matter what looks better, still pulling off the same thing in the end. Besides the WiiU's table screen is sub HD, 854 x 480. So no, it doesn't display the same WiiU graphics it will on your/mine nice 1080p TV. So your argument is mute.

No, it's you that does not understand (not sure why, since your own example states it clear as day).  The scenario you cite with GT is USING THE POWER OF THREE INDIVIDUAL PS3s to support the screens, not one.  The Vita is not the PS3.  Of course the PS3/Vita can have interactivity... the Gamecube/GBA did that.  And the original Halo could support LAN play with multiple Xboxes in use... nothing new with this concept.  One more time with feeling:  it's ONE PS3 pumping out a full game to Vita and the TV running simultaneously that's in question here.  I'm skeptical that it can, but I'm not saying that it's definitely impossible either, just that your logic is definitely flawed.

And just because the WiiU tablet screen is only 480 is not key here.  The GC/GBA connectivity was not merely limited by resolution, but by the fact that the GBA was still not displaying GC quality graphics.  So his argument is not moot.

Who cares if it can, that's not the point. The point is it can achieve the same concept. In the end it's the same. Doesn't matter how each company get's to point A, it's just the fact they both got there. You simply can not argue the vita be able to run the game on its own hardware without help for the Playstation is somehow a disadvantage. It simply isn't.

@happy, It should be able to handle all the same particle effect and AI and whatever else, after all it is a 4 core processor with 512MB RAM and 128MB VRAM 

No hard feelings, just trying to get my 50 posts.  

Mmmfishtacos said:

@happy, It should be able to handle all the same particle effect and AI and whatever else, after all it is a 4 core processor with 512MB RAM and 128MB VRAM 

No hard feelings, just trying to get my 50 posts.  

It's a fact that Vita will never be able to output The Last of Us. It's a powerful little piece of gaming tech, but it's certainly not a PS3, not even a 360. UC:GA is achieved using clever graphics tricks, hence why you're probably mislead ;)

@posts. Haha :D I get the feeling you're going to reach them in this thread alone :D

Well just found out I can't use the quote tab on my iPad. I swear this thing is useless. Anyway, Happy, what do you expect going to be happing on the second screen anyway? Here' and expmple that I'd like to see. I'm into GT5 and sim racers pretty hard core, have a Fanatec CSR wheel and CSR Elite pedals. It be really cool to dipspay my dash right there on the psv. Speed, rpms and gear. Allowing my tv to be clutter free. It would also to cool to hit a button on the psv and do on they fly running so I can change setting on the track and feel the instant effect.

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
Well just found out I can't use the quote tab on my iPad. I swear this thing is useless. Anyway, Happy, what do you expect going to be happing on the second screen anyway? Here' and expmple that I'd like to see. I'm into GT5 and sim racers pretty hard core, have a Fanatec CSR wheel and CSR Elite pedals. It be really cool to dipspay my dash right there on the psv. Speed, rpms and gear. Allowing my tv to be clutter free. It would also to cool to hit a button on the psv and do on they fly running so I can change setting on the track and feel the instant effect.

iPad drama, story of my life bro. Anyways, for the vita I expect all the features you mention. For the tablet, I expect much more. I expect it to track the IR laser, to capture video, to have the Gyro interact with the TV image, secondary perspectives, remote visual preparation for larger display presentations (for oral presentations, video slideshows), taking the game offline off the TV (like a game of Chess, or Go, or a full game like Zelda HD), board games with touch and gyro controls, all the stuff showed at the last e3 presentation basically.

The part that would need the power of the Wii U is where parts of the game's main graphics are displayed on the tablet, or when the game is taken offline to be played in privacy anywheres in the house. ;) But all your ideas are fantastic, I sure hope they do that and please you. I'm not a huge racing fan, but I do enjoy racers myself. I am somewhat a fan of Grand Turismo and of F-Zero.

Mmmfishtacos said:
archbrix said:
Mmmfishtacos said

I'm not sure you understand. You'll only need one, ps3 and 1 vita, or more vitas for extra players. In GT's case you need 3 PS3's just for the video out's. Point is, it can run side by side, and be fluent.

So you're going back to graphics argument? Cause we all know how that goes. Doesn't matter what looks better, still pulling off the same thing in the end. Besides the WiiU's table screen is sub HD, 854 x 480. So no, it doesn't display the same WiiU graphics it will on your/mine nice 1080p TV. So your argument is mute.

No, it's you that does not understand (not sure why, since your own example states it clear as day).  The scenario you cite with GT is USING THE POWER OF THREE INDIVIDUAL PS3s to support the screens, not one.  The Vita is not the PS3.  Of course the PS3/Vita can have interactivity... the Gamecube/GBA did that.  And the original Halo could support LAN play with multiple Xboxes in use... nothing new with this concept.  One more time with feeling:  it's ONE PS3 pumping out a full game to Vita and the TV running simultaneously that's in question here.  I'm skeptical that it can, but I'm not saying that it's definitely impossible either, just that your logic is definitely flawed.

And just because the WiiU tablet screen is only 480 is not key here.  The GC/GBA connectivity was not merely limited by resolution, but by the fact that the GBA was still not displaying GC quality graphics.  So his argument is not moot.

Who cares if it can, that's not the point. The point is it can achieve the same concept. In the end it's the same. Doesn't matter how each company get's to point A, it's just the fact they both got there. You simply can not argue the vita be able to run the game on its own hardware without help for the Playstation is somehow a disadvantage. It simply isn't.

*sigh*

It absolutely is the point.  I'll try one more time:

Look at it from the perspective of WiiU.  The controller is not a portable game system at all.  It is basically a "dummy" screen designed to receive the signal/code from the host system.  Therefore it's the WiiU console that is doing the work of the streaming, NOT the receiving screen.  In other words, if the Vita was the recipient of the WiiU's stream, it would work with Vita too.

The system in question is the PS3, not the Vita.  The scenario you've suggested would work if the Vita was a portable PS3 and was also running the game.  Then you could have the game running on your TV (powered by the PS3) and the handheld screen (powered by the Vita).  This is why multi monitor Gran Turismo worked; because there were three PS3s with three copies of the game powering the graphics on three screens (one for every screen), not just one PS3 powering the graphics on all three screens.

Now that we've established that, what you're saying (I think) is that because the Vita is more than just a "dummy" screen and has its own hardware, it'll be able to make up the difference and display Uncharted 3 on its own... but again, that would require the Vita to be as powerful as a PS3, which it is not, and have a copy of the game running in it.  Could the PS3 and Vita interact with each other with the PS3 running Uncharted 3 and the Vita running Golden Abyss?  Of course.  Could the PS3 run Uncharted 3 and simultaneously display something graphical on the Vita?  Sure.  Could the PS3 send the graphics of Uncharted 3 to the Vita instead of the TV?  Again, yes, in 544 res.  Then you would have Uncharted 3 running on Vita (albeit in less resolution, but the same glorious graphics) on your handheld, but NOT on the TV at the same time.  WiiU can display both at the same time (full HD on TV, less resolution on the handheld screen), and from the rumors, not just one handheld screen, but two, and with only one game running.

Hopefully you get it now.  If not, then please ask someone else... I give up.

archbrix said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

*sigh*

It absolutely is the point.  I'll try one more time:

Look at it from the perspective of WiiU.  The controller is not a portable game system at all.  It is basically a "dummy" screen designed to receive the signal/code from the host system.  Therefore it's the WiiU console that is doing the work of the streaming, NOT the receiving screen.  In other words, if the Vita was the recipient of the WiiU's stream, it would work with Vita too.

The system in question is the PS3, not the Vita.  The scenario you've suggested would work if the Vita was a portable PS3 and was also running the game.  Then you could have the game running on your TV (powered by the PS3) and the handheld screen (powered by the Vita).  This is why multi monitor Gran Turismo worked; because there were three PS3s with three copies of the game powering the graphics on three screens (one for every screen), not just one PS3 powering the graphics on all three screens.

Now that we've established that, what you're saying (I think) is that because the Vita is more than just a "dummy" screen and has its own hardware, it'll be able to make up the difference and display Uncharted 3 on its own... but again, that would require the Vita to be as powerful as a PS3, which it is not, and have a copy of the game running in it.  Could the PS3 and Vita interact with each other with the PS3 running Uncharted 3 and the Vita running Golden Abyss?  Of course.  Could the PS3 run Uncharted 3 and simultaneously display something graphical on the Vita?  Sure.  Could the PS3 send the graphics of Uncharted 3 to the Vita instead of the TV?  Again, yes, in 544 res.  Then you would have Uncharted 3 running on Vita (albeit in less resolution, but the same glorious graphics) on your handheld, but NOT on the TV at the same time.  WiiU can display both at the same time (full HD on TV, less resolution on the handheld screen), and from the rumors, not just one handheld screen, but two, and with only one game running.

Hopefully you get it now.  If not, then please ask someone else... I give up.

Part of what archbrix is trying to convey, among other things, is that you can't have 1 PS3, 1 game and a Vita, and have the game display on both the PS3 and the Vita, it'll only do one at a time (as far as we know). However, for the Wii U, with 1 game, you can get 2 images generated, one to display  on the TV, one on the tablet. You don't need to buy two games, and no syncronization is required (as it would be between PS3+UC3 and say Vita+GA, even if any games support it).

@archbrix, bold. I think he understands that, he just thinks that since the Vita is just below PS3 level graphics, the discrepancy's negligeable. But honestly, it isn't, and my last post on The Last of Us should nail that. However, it would provide the best graphical fidelity ratio, handheld to console, ever offered (leaps better than GBA to GC). But ultimately, it is still that same console to handheld technology we had, and within the context of the thread, it fails to bring a new experience, one we have not seen before. The Wii U is clearly different, as proven by the technical standpoint, and common understanding we have of it.

@mmmuffin. The other thing you need to keep in mind is that the Wii U was built around this concept, making it a feature out-of-the-box ready. Devs are more inclined to make use of it, and don't have to work with 2 APIs (PS3 & Vita), don't have to do programmatic synchronization between both games, and don't have to create frameworks to create the interaction between both software, that is support Nintendo provides in its API de facto afaik. It is not integrated via patches, it's sdk-ready. That's as far as my knowledge goes.

Panama said:

Pretty sure the PSP came out before 2008.

Also why are you so adamant on pressing this point when you're wrong?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

I advise you to read the first part of the link for two reasons.

1) What is said in that link bears no resemblance to Remote Play, which is simply playing PSP games on a larger screen. This link is clearly talking about using a portable device as an additional viewscreen to assist in playing games on a large screen, not using a large screen instead of the portable device's screen.

2) Do you really think that the patent filed in 2010 is related to Remote Play? Why would a company wait several years, then patent an idea?

I'm not saying Sony did copy, and I'm not saying that they didn't. What I am saying is that Remote Play is compeltely irrelevant to the current discussion, and should not have been introduced.