By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Official Nintendo News Thread" Thread might be locked for good. If not, you can only view it with your pages turned to 25 posts per page. Thread Under Construction.

Bonus points for me: Is Machina an Awesome mod?

Hell Yes! 167 73.25%

Yes 0 0%

Most assuradely 0 0%

Other option that is bett... 3 1.32%

I want to have his babies. 1 0.44%

Total:171

I went for the most realistic one, the lowest one.

Around the Network

I'm sure the Wii will have legs, I'm not sure how long they'll last but it will. My predictions are that it won't get past 101 Million, even with it's great Holidays. Nintendo needs to drop Wii Support around 3 months after the Wii U comes out. Then 3rd parties need to drop support around 3-5 months after the Wii U comes out. Nintendo can't take chances with the Wii U, it seems like it could easily end up like the GameCube. Good games, bad sales.

spurgeonryan said:
NintendoPie said:
I'm sure the Wii will have legs, I'm not sure how long they'll last but it will. My predictions are that it won't get past 101 Million, even with it's great Holidays. Nintendo needs to drop Wii Support around 3 months after the Wii U comes out. Then 3rd parties need to drop support around 3-5 months after the Wii U comes out. Nintendo can't take chances with the Wii U, it seems like it could easily end up like the GameCube. Good games, bad sales.

Sadly I agree. But if the price can be between 99 and 79 everywhere next year it will last a while. 3rd parties will continue as long as it sells well. 101 is an easily attainable goal for them I think. I may have made my prediction too high, but I can live with that.

I hope it doesn't go over 101 Million because the Wii U needs all the attention it can get. We don't need Nintendo to keep making the Wii and we certainly don't need any bundles or GameStop advertisement for it.

spurgeonryan said:
IamAwsome said:

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/rumor-nst-is-working-on-a-new-game-that-might-be-for-the-3ds

NST, the developers who worked on games such as Metroid Prime Hunters and the cancelled Project H.A.M.M.E.R. for the Wii, are apparently working on a new game. Supposedly, “some concept hit the green light and is in full production”, but we have no idea what that concept is, or even if it’s for the 3DS. It could be for the Wii U. But here’s to hoping for something like Metroid Prime Hunters 2.

All right. You have won me over. Do you want news posted one at a time in your thread or will that only be you? If you want it I will give you 1 out of every 4 Wii U News I get. I am sure that you will get it all before me, but if something slips through and you miss it I will put it in your thread if you want. Just a little less cluttered than my thread! Which I think is a good idea. I just did not do the saved for later posts, which would have been a good idea for me I think.

Also it has been a while since we have gotten a Metroid that people want. I know that Other M is liked by some and not liked by others, and then there was the Trilogy. But I am talking about a game that everyone is hyped about. So I will bet that a Metroid Game will be it. For the Wii U. I am also willing to bet'that a 3DS one is coming as well. So either way, great news for Nintendo. What was Project H.A.M.M.E.R all about?

1 out of every 4 Wii U news reports would be great, but just for GDC, I want the new game announcements. Anything that you miss, that's several days old, just put it in my thread, and note it if it's old. I'll probably unveil my plans for one of the "saved for later" posts sometime this week, and the third one, around E3. 

As for NST, I'm assuming it's either Metroid game, or a revival nobody saw coming (F-Zero?). Mario vs DK is played out, and judging by their past game experience, it's probably something aimed at the western audience. IIRC, their console team disbanded after quarrels between them and Nintendo, reguarding Project HAMMER vs Wii Crush. 

And Project HAMMER was NST's only true project for the Wii. It was a hardcore, gritty, beat 'em up, that Nintendo showcased at E3 '06. It was fun, but it looked bland. Development stopped in 2007. After a while, Nintendo decided they wanted "Wii Crush" instead. It kept the gameplay of HAMMER, but with the story of something like Carnival Games, so instead of this, you got this. People at NST wanted to continue to make HAMMER, and Nintendo made firings left and right, until their console team crashed completely, and they haven't been the same since. Man that was a mouthful. 

They were probably just kidding around Ryan. xD

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
NintendoPie said:

I imagine that they were. Unless they think that somehow Nintendo can pull off a PS2, somehow and have it sell for ever. They need to get advertising and making deals in other countries though, and fast!

They do! They need to pull something off with their "Marketing Magic" again. I say they should have a commercial for the Wii U start around Spring Break and they can announce the price through the commercial. It will shock the Gaming Community and bring the Wii U to the for-front of Technology for consumers. They should sell it in as many countries as the PS2 sold in and they need to strongly push marketing in Japan because we don't want it to end up like the Wii there.

I should be in the Marketing Devision for Nintendo shouldn't I? xD

spurgeonryan said:
NintendoPie said:
spurgeonryan said:
NintendoPie said:

I imagine that they were. Unless they think that somehow Nintendo can pull off a PS2, somehow and have it sell for ever. They need to get advertising and making deals in other countries though, and fast!

They do! They need to pull something off with their "Marketing Magic" again. I say they should have a commercial for the Wii U start around Spring Break and they can announce the price through the commercial. It will shock the Gaming Community and bring the Wii U to the for-front of Technology for consumers. They should sell it in as many countries as the PS2 sold in and they need to strongly push marketing in Japan because we don't want it to end up like the Wii there.

I should be in the Marketing Devision for Nintendo shouldn't I? xD

I have never been really wowed by Nintendo Marketing, as far back as I can remember. I am sure my memory has just failed me though  You should send them some ideas! Maybe on they're facebook page so that it will be seen.

I think they should have started selling in those other countries a long time  ago if they wanted 120 million plus. I always hoped that Wii Sports would break 100 million in sales. That dream is gone unless Nintendo can sell 120 million I think. :("""

I was hoping for that too. It can't happen unless people by 5 copies just for themselves. Or the Wii sells 100 Million... though it's no longer bundled. That would break a record right?

Some of you are way too low on Wii's final sales numbers.

Its already above 95m. When WiiU launches, Wii will probably be dropped in price again and still sell another 5-8m by end of this year. It will remain on shelves for at least another two years before it becomes scarce or fully pulled from market. That should enable it to get at least another 10-12m between various bundles and people just buying it because it so cheap.

Have to keep in mind some people don't own any machine or will replace aging machines. Additionally, even at $99 it will be a profitable sale for Nintendo, so they will continue to produce it until sales dry up and cost to manufacture starts to have no margin.

It should realistically reach the 115m mark when its all said and done.

spurgeonryan said:
superchunk said:

Some of you are way too low on Wii's final sales numbers.

Its already above 95m. When WiiU launches, Wii will probably be dropped in price again and still sell another 5-8m by end of this year. It will remain on shelves for at least another two years before it becomes scarce or fully pulled from market. That should enable it to get at least another 10-12m between various bundles and people just buying it because it so cheap.

Have to keep in mind some people don't own any machine or will replace aging machines. Additionally, even at $99 it will be a profitable sale for Nintendo, so they will continue to produce it until sales dry up and cost to manufacture starts to have no margin.

It should realistically reach the 115m mark when its all said and done.

If that is indeed what happens then I would wholeheartedly agree with you! Isn't the Wii already 99 dollars at Walmarts though? Cannot go down much more. Maybe 89.99 there, and everywhere else down to 99.99 including bundles. Wait for this Christmas or a little after I would say.

No, its $149 everywhere. The $99 thing was a xmas holiday sale only.... and it did very well.

BasilZero said:

I wish they would make a GCN/Wii Dual Pack for Fire Emblem (both GCN and Wii versions together) and release it for the Wii-U in HD, I would so get it!

I want that for Pikmin! O_O