By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Sells over One Million in Korea

NJ5 said:
Bodhesatva said:
ioi said:
I think many are underestimating demand in China. I expect to see at least a couple of manufacturers announce huge (I'm talking a few million unit) launches in China 2008.

Couple of manufacturers of what? You mean you expect PS3/360/Wii all to launch in China this year?

The Wii should indeed be launched this year there (and South Korea) according to Nintendo. It was even going to be launched in the spring, but supply issues in the rest of the world prevented them from doing it. The launch is still scheduled for 2008 though.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/26/nintendo-aims-for-2008-wii-launch-in-china-south-korea/

http://www.wiisworld.com/wii-news/wii-in-china.html

Right, that I knew of, but Ioi said a couple of manufacterers. I assumed that meant something different -- does he mean software companies / third parties launching their games in Chinese, or does he mean Sony/MS is planning on distributing their consoles to China, or did he mean something else entirely? 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
BKK said:
Cool, nice to get numbers from Asia, it's debatable which is the largest market, Korea or Taiwan, but they're fairly similar in size.

DS has really sold a lot since the last data we got from August, I guess it had only just been released back then. 360 seemed to be doing pretty good there , PS3 pretty badly. I'd guess due to high rates of piracy in Korea PS3 isn't very appealing there.

End of August 2007:

PS2: 1331K
PSP: 315K
360: 136K
NDS: 128K
PS3: 5K

For comparison Taiwanese sales at the time were:

PS2: 1012K
NDS: 720K
PSP: 420K
360: 102K
PS3: 47K

I'd put the big difference between August DS numbers in Korea and Taiwan down to staggered launches. This is also the case with the PS3 which launched November 2006 in Taiwan, and June 2007 in Korea.

4th column is Korea, 5th is Taiwan.

I've read a lot of people posting how Wii sales in China are going to be huge, I really don't think they understand the market. Even though there is a huge population only a small percentage are in a financial position to be able to afford a games console. Now a small percentage of 1B is still a lot, but there isn't a big console gaming culture there. Most gamers are PC gamers. Also, even though none of the latest gen consoles have been officially launched there, all are widely available in China already. An official launch will help as you would assume it will be accompanied by advertising etc, which obviously doesn't happen for grey imports.

Also expect console software sales to be virtually non-existent in China, piracy is rampant. Nintendo don't have to worry about this, as they make a profit on the Wii and DS hardware, and it's not a problem for the PSP, but 360 is cracked wide open and probably still selling at a slight loss, which is why they haven't launched there yet. Sony probably see little reason to launch the PS3 there yet as a non-hacked console would sell next to nothing there, same seems to be true for Korea.

I'd expect the Chinese market to be a similar size to Korea and Taiwan, despite the huge population difference. Having said that, this market as absolutely huge potential, so launching there early, and building a brand could have massive benefits in the long term.

What are the other columns? I would guess the last is a total. The first 3 kind of look like Japan, America and Europe except many of the numbers seem too low, particulary the second column for DS. I will have to assume the 1st 3 columns are not Japan, America, Europe [though 1st is surely Japan]. particulary as the total column still has Wii below 360, [we know by Financial times that using data from end of July for NPD/GFK and end of August only for Media Create that Wii was equal with 360]

Good for Nintendo, selling 1 million of anything in Korea is impressive.

^yes it is i also hope wii can achieve this succes

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^yes it is i also hope wii can achieve this succes

Me too. and hopefully it will do it a bit faster.

Around the Network

^if it does a bit faster then that would be really awesome

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Yeah, it would. I also hope they do well in China.