By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Sells over One Million in Korea

i'm probably one of the only people on this forum in korea, but let me tell you DS is huge here. Problem is that everyone is using the R4, it's suprising to see people that know very little about video games have R4s. Very few games are actually even translated to Korean because of all the pirating.

Metroid prime hunters, new super mario bros, mario kart 64, and mario 64 are the most popular.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

That's the beauty of Nintendo's strategy though, John. Even if people pirate, Nintendo is STILL making a profit.

Let's say it gets 25% of the software sales it would otherwise get. No problem! Nintendo makes a profit on the system, then it makes a profit on the (small) game sales, too. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Yeah, no one in China can afford a Wii, just like no one in China can afford a good PC, a high speed internet connection, and World of Warcraft.

LMAO!

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i forgot to mention that the GBA, and gameboy were not popular at all in Korea, it all started with the DS.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

"Can't see the end side of the image, BKK. "

Thanks, resized.

"Either way, 1m DS sales in Korea is HUGE."

Yes, very impressive seeing as it hasn't even been out for a year yet.

"Korea is vastly dominated by PC sales. The PS2, as far as I remember, only sold 2m units (I believe Starcraft sold more than the PS2 did)."

Definitely, same as in China. PS2 had sold 1.3M up to August 2007.

"Yeah, no one in China can afford a Wii, just like no one in China can afford a good PC, a high speed internet connection, and World of Warcraft."

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about my post or not, but as I said a small percentage of 1B is still a lot. I then said most gamers are PC gamers, so I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make. Wii is already widely available in China, so obviously there's a market for it, I just don't think it's currently very large.

As for being able to afford a good PC, high speed internet connection or WoW, well that's irrelevant as most people play from internet cafes in China (and many other Asian countries too).

Around the Network

Wii is already "widely available" in China? That I have not heard. I've certainly heard of some stores importing it. Where have you heard that it is "widely available?"

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Seriously, try finding a game store in any major city in China which don't stock any of the current gen consoles, even though none have been officially released there yet. Same is true in South East Asia. You don't even need to get them "chipped", as the stores have already done it. Granted, demand will go up once it's officially released, as it will be cheaper, and be advertised, but the console market isn't mature enough yet to sell mega numbers. In ten years time it might be a different story. It's not something I've heard, I frequently travel to Shanghai, Hong Kong/Macau/Shenzhen I live in the region.

BKK said:
Seriously, try finding a game store in any major city in China which don't stock any of the current gen consoles, even though none have been officially released there yet. Same is true in South East Asia. You don't even need to get them "chipped", as the stores have already done it. Granted, demand will go up once it's officially released, as it will be cheaper, and be advertised, but the console market isn't mature enough yet to sell mega numbers. In ten years time it might be a different story. It's not something I've heard, I frequently travel to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macau as I live in the region.

I question that, a system for around 700-800 yuan might go over well in China

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

++ BKK for the excellent information from Asia you gave us! I especially agree on your assessment on mainland China. It's just too early for them. Check back in 10 years.

It seems like the DS will outsell the PS2 in Korea this year, and probably in Taiwan as well, thereby becoming the most successful videogame platform ever in these markets, I guess?

BKK, where is that chart on your picture from? It's really special to see some Asian numbers from market outside of Japan. The one question for me is why they made it look like the PS1 and XBox weren't sold in Europe or the US.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

None of the current gen systems are going to sell for 700-800 Yuan any time soon. Especially when hardware is the only way they can turn a profit.