Look at your hand (Your other hand!). That's a 3DS you're holding. It's an awesome thing, isn't it? So much potential and power in such a small package. It's come quite a long way since its launch, too. The eShop, downloadable demos, Nintendo Video, Netfflix, Swapnote, video recoring, and more. Those features weren't there months ago and now, they are. But what's next? Here's my ideas. Be sure to add your own--
- Nintendo Video (Upgrade): RIght now, we get four 3D videos. After a few days, they're gone. I'd like to see eight videos--and at least two of them be somewhat episodic in nature. How about an episode of the Nintendo Show 3D that stays with us for a week and we can watch whenever we want (and not just when we're on the eShop)? Or episodes of Super Mario that come out every Monday or something? Continue giving us "Son of a Pitch", movie trailers, and Adrenaline, too. Make Nintendo Video something to really look forward to!
- Photo/Video Sharing: As it stands, there isn't really a way to share photos and videos between two 3DS consoles (unless you upload to a photo sharing website like Photobucket). Give us the functionality to share our creative AR pics or our stop motion animations. If nobody else can see them, what's the point of giving us the ability to make them?
- Nintendo 3DS Sound (Upgrade): A nice but underused feature. As it stands, to put music on your 3DS, you have to take the SD card out and put music on it via a 3rd device (I use a PC). It's not too much of an inconvenience but I often don't go through the trouble. How about giving away a few free songs with every game? You finish Mario 3D Land, you can save a song to your 3DS. You play Ocarina of Time, you get access to exclusive music. Just something to add value to the games and the console. Encrypt the music so that it can't be copied, of course.
- 3DS Message system: Swapnote is nice. I love it. But, while it's good as a "Twitter Jr.", we need something with a little more functionality. Give us the ability to send messages to other gamers while they are online. It can be a "friends only" thing if Nintendo is worried about harrassment. I just want to be able to tell somebody that I'm hosting Super Street Fighter 4. I also would like to say, "Hey, that was a great match!" when it's all said and done.
- Friend Leaderboards: Like Xbox Live. I want to know how my performance compares to my friends in every 3DS game (or at least in the eShop games). Did I kill more bad guys? Did I last longer in survival mode? Nobody plays my 3DS but me. What's the point of going for a high score of a faster time in Super Mario 3D Land if nobody else can see it?
- Mii Plaza (Upgrade): I want my Miis to have a life. They just stand there hoping for my attention. I want my Miis to interact with each other. I want to see them wandering around my 3DS. If I'm in 3DS Sound, I want my Miis to be hanging out like it's some sort of night club. If I'm on Nintendo Video, I want a few Miis to pop up like they're watching a movie. Not only that, I want my Miis to leave my 3DS and go to a friend's 3DS. Let my Mii hang out with their Mii and return a few days later. AND, I want them to be the characters in "Find Mii", not a bunch of random rabbits, cats, and dogs. Give me more options to dress them up, too. Not just a color.
- Play Coins: A cool in game currency but I want more things to spend them on. Capcom let me buy stuff in Street Fighter and Resident Evil Merc 3D. I thought that was a very cool touch. Now, let me use them for more. Make items expensive so that I don't just go all shopping crazy. I'd like to be able to buy different themes, wallpapers, start up screens, help videos (If I get stuck in Zelda, make me earn it!), discounts for eShop items, etc. Give these coins a real purpose.
- Swapnote (Upgrade): Awesome in its current form, I'd like the option to use colors and even more backgrounds. Also, it would be nice to get specific messages from Nintendo themselves. They can be on everybody's friend list (with the option to opt out, of course). News from Nintendo, exclusive artwork, holiday greetings. People without a lot of friends would have a reason to love Swapnote, too!
What do you think? What would you add? What sucks about my suggestion? Discuss.