By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ZOMG!! JL was incorrect, Wii won't hit 20 mil this year :(

Aren't there enough John Lucas threads? Do we need anti-John Lucas threads too?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Yea my wii predicitons are way too low

it should be

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,- that number times 1000

ps3: 10-10.001M

Xbox 360- 16-16.000000000001M

mM

Give the guy a break, he was closer than most people here were. And keep in mind Nintendo EASILY could have sold 20 million if there were no supply restrictions, hell they probably could have sold 24 million.

y'know, the scientific method has you round to the nearest decimal specified. Since John Lucas Said 20 - 24 million, and not 20.0 - 24.0 million, scientific method would actually call for us to round up the numbers that have come in to their nearest million. 19.51 is rounded up in this case, which would set his prediction of 20 million plenty accurate enough.

certainly more accurate than 18.5 million, we aren't playing Price is Right here. Not to mention that I've see leo-Js and others swing ALLL over the freaking place... you people started out down around 12-14 million max and that was only after you were able to finally accept the fact that it was going to keep outselling the PS3.

There was already another thread about this, but his very original prediction was for 20 million, he didn't specify a range of 20 - 24 million, and that was waaaay back when.

Sorry, anyone saying that John Lucas failed is just too afraid of the taste of crow.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

DMeisterJ said:
As we can all see, the American numbers are up and the Wii is 490K away from JL's lofty goal. I would like JL to come in here and personally concede defeat now, as I and many people on this site were correct. Since the Wii will not hit 490K this week, unless the Japan preview this week was close to 100% off, it's not gonna happen.

You mean Wii won't reach 20 million in 2008?!??!?!?!!?

Looks like the Sony Fans were right =[ Wii is a fad

/sarcasm 

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
I would like JL to come in here and personally concede defeat now, as I and many people on this site were correct.

Are you going to paddle him as well? (or make him drink a beer that was first poured into his... never mind)

Seriously, the whole point of making predictions is for THE FUN OF DOING IT.

Not to humiliate people who were wrong about a guess (even when they were close to being right) so you can get off to it or something along those lines. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

@ SNES

I meant this year like 2007 but I still haven't adjusted to the new year... Must be the hangover.

Metallicube said:
Give the guy a break, he was closer than most people here were. And keep in mind Nintendo EASILY could have sold 20 million if there were no supply restrictions, hell they probably could have sold 50 million.

fyp

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

@ Smash

If you read the other thing I posted, I said it was a joke, and that he didn't have to come in here to concede defeat.

People: This thread wasn't really that serious, I wasn't making fun of him for not hitting the nail on the head. It's just that he was one of the most vocal people on the site giving that prediction. And it's the one we all know because he's said it so much. I don't really care if he was wrong. If he was right, I would have posted that too, just that we all knew his prediction is why I posted it.

Also, it may still make it, maybe the prelim JP numbers are very off. And as grey said, scientifically, he is right. :)

jl's original prediction back in like MARCH was 20mil

he was pretty damn accurate

if anything, u guys should be eating crow, not him

he predicted the most accurately, earliest, of ANYBODY on here

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp