By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who is the greatest military commander in history?

amp316 said:
How about Hannibal?

Didn't he lose... eventually?

BTW speaking about never defeated commanders (or at least regarded as such): Alexander of Macedon, Gengis Khan and Alexander Suvorov - we've got the winners. Though there're probably much more candidates among those, who was never defeated and never had a chance to be defeated :D

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
Patton. Both for his military command and his overall attitude.

Patton was a nut and had one of the highest death rates, not all that impressive by any means.... (Blood and Guts). He sent his men to die pointless deaths.

amp316 said:
How about Hannibal?

Pffft! He'd be nothing without B.A. and Face. :)

I'm undecided between Julius Caesar and Dubya. The former defeated his enemies and only traitors could stop him, but the latter defeated Logic.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Brigadier Fox Pitt. He was no accomplished General or heroic martyr. It was 1940 He was trapped with the 20th brigade at Boulogne as the rest of the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) was evacuated from Dunkirk and left in charge of its defense. He had been abandoned the night before by the HQ staff and the Germans were expected that day.

He received a personal telegram from Churchill thanking him and telling him that there was no rescue because every second he held out was a second the German army was kept from Dunkirk. He had a few Welsh, Irish, British and Free french troops at his disposal and somehow managed to get defenses set up before the Germans arrived. He had just a few thousand troops to defend the city and did a damn good job defending it against the panzer 2nd division and the German army that followed.

Were it not for his and his mens sacrifice Dunkirk and operation Dynamo would have gone allot worse.

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

Around the Network

Does anyone know if Cyrus the great commanded his own armies or if he had a general for that?

I LOVE ICELAND!

I'm definitely going with Tsubodai. He defeated every major power he encountered, from China to Hungary, took more land than any commander, and won some 65 major battles.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
KungKras said:
Does anyone know if Cyrus the great commanded his own armies or if he had a general for that?

I also wanted to mention him but looking at the size of his Empire and the time (600BC) we can't be sure if he commanded his own armies.. if he did he is the greatest for me.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

bugrimmar said:

I love history. I've always had debates about this question with my professors.

I'll tally votes here in the OP. Mine goes to Tsubodai/Subutei of the Mongolian empire.

When we talk about commanders, we don't mean like the kings who order their armies to fight an enemy. I'm talking about the field generals who actually applied the tactics and strategy directly. Genghis Khan and his son Ogedai relied almost solely on Tsubodai for the expansion of his empire. Nobody could stop him; not muslims with their war elephants, not walled cities, not chinese cannon, not armies five times larger than his, not even the famed knights of Teuton or the Templars. Tsubodai's leadership was extraordinary in that no army, no matter how large, could beat him because of his modern command style that was unheard of in his time.

Most of all, the true measure of a commander is in his ability to conquer and succeed. A lot of people will mention people like Hannibal or Napoleon. Unfortunately, these guys failed in their conquests. They lost. Tsubodai never failed. In fact, the only reason he stopped the invasion of Europe was that Ogedai had died, and everyone had to return to Mongolia to elect a new Khan. If he hadn't stopped, then Europe would have been completely destroyed and our society now would be speaking and reading Mongolian or Chinese characters. How do we know this? En route, he actually destroyed Hungarian armies three times the size of his own that fielded the very best of Europe: The German Teutonic Knights and the Knights Templar. They were no match for his horse archers. Sadly for the Mongol empire, the khans just couldn't get along and decide on a ruler of the whole nation. Tsubodai retired after Ogedai died and so their empire fell apart.

Had Alexander the Great not died so early almost entire Asia would be speaking Greek...

If WW1 didn't occur, almost 2/4 of the world would be under european controll...

pezus said:
Robb Stark I'd say, he never lost and he was only like 15-16 years old

spoilers

song of fire and ice sucks balls, george rr martin is a sick fuck and you really shouldnt be reading the books anyways.

what?  pretty sure being decapitated, having a wolf head sewn in its place and then left floating in a river counts as having lost.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur