By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who is the greatest military commander in history?

"I feel like such a dumbass now.

I vow to read threads completely before ever posting."

Lol no worries, I do not think he is the greatest ever but easily the most underrated.

Another underated General is Georgy Zhukov. He saved Moscow from the Nazis, saved Stalingrad, Leningrad, heavily involved in the Battle of Kursk and took Berlin. You want to know how the Soviets were able to magically start kicking the Nazi's asses on the Eastern front after 1943, look at Zhukov.

Most popular answer is Alexander the Great and I think he deserves the honour. For him to conquer so much at such an age, makes me wonder what we have done if he lived past 33.
Others will say Julius Caesar, as what he did was impressive. Conquering all of France and being able to bring so much death and destruction with such a small force is impressive.

Another great is Saladin who is not only well respected for being a great military leader but was well respected and admired even by the Christian Crusaders.

In American History its easily Washington, Lee,Jackson and Patton. Washington for leading American to Independence, Lee for winning impressive victories against all odds and Patton blitzkrieg attacks were devastating.

In Canada its like Issac Brock for his defense at Queenston Heights, and James Wolfe for his victory at the Plains of Abraham, which is the most important battle in Canadian history. It was the battle that determined whether Canada would be French or English . Tecumseh for leading Native forces against the US in the war of 1812 and Romeo Dallarie for his heroic role in the Rwandian Genocide.