By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who is the greatest military commander in history?

I love history. I've always had debates about this question with my professors.

I'll tally votes here in the OP. Mine goes to Tsubodai/Subutei of the Mongolian empire.

When we talk about commanders, we don't mean like the kings who order their armies to fight an enemy. I'm talking about the field generals who actually applied the tactics and strategy directly. Genghis Khan and his son Ogedai relied almost solely on Tsubodai for the expansion of his empire. Nobody could stop him; not muslims with their war elephants, not walled cities, not chinese cannon, not armies five times larger than his, not even the famed knights of Teuton or the Templars. Tsubodai's leadership was extraordinary in that no army, no matter how large, could beat him because of his modern command style that was unheard of in his time.

Most of all, the true measure of a commander is in his ability to conquer and succeed. A lot of people will mention people like Hannibal or Napoleon. Unfortunately, these guys failed in their conquests. They lost. Tsubodai never failed. In fact, the only reason he stopped the invasion of Europe was that Ogedai had died, and everyone had to return to Mongolia to elect a new Khan. If he hadn't stopped, then Europe would have been completely destroyed and our society now would be speaking and reading Mongolian or Chinese characters. How do we know this? En route, he actually destroyed Hungarian armies three times the size of his own that fielded the very best of Europe: The German Teutonic Knights and the Knights Templar. They were no match for his horse archers. Sadly for the Mongol empire, the khans just couldn't get along and decide on a ruler of the whole nation. Tsubodai retired after Ogedai died and so their empire fell apart.

Around the Network

Patton. Both for his military command and his overall attitude.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

To me it would be a tie between Napoleon and Stalin. I know that Stalin wasnt a military leader in the real sense, but never the less it brought back a nation from brink of destruction, to its most glorious form ever.

Caesar and Alexander The Great where also military masterminds, tough I like to argue that a post US civil-war era military is far harder to control, then an old one. Its simply a far more complex entity

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Ike.

From Fire Emblem. He overthrew the entire world and even the goddess with just a handful of people.

And he fights for his friends! That's very admirable. He even says it over and over in Super Smash Brothers.

Pretty easy.

Sun Tzu.

He influenced some of the greatest generals through The Art of War. Napoleon. Mao. Vo Nuygen Gap. Ho Chi Minh. No general has ever achieved such a legacy.

For contemporaries, though, Patton and Zhukov are right up there. I also like Rommel as well, but he was given a very raw deal in WW2.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
Patton. Both for his military command and his overall attitude.

This. Hands down.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

How about Hannibal?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
How about Hannibal?

That's a good call. Certainly one of the best commanders in ancient history. But, I'd have to add Scipio Africanus, who finally defeated Hannibal and drove him back to Carthage.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

OBAMA

Mustafa Kemal ataturk. Founded the republic of turkey after winning a war where turkey was massively outnumbered but many countries.