By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Was The Best Thing Sony Ever Did/Made.

walkman
PS1
PS2
PS3
PSP
PSVITA
My LED TV (IS AMAZING!!!! I bought one for christmas and it is better than anything I have seen)
God of War
Uncharted
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
The First and Second TENCHU GAMES (Sony Music RE LOL)
BLU RAY (with others) and also CDs

Around the Network

Basil.....................

Here's what really happened between Sony and Nintendo.

The first conceptions of the PlayStation date back to 1986. Nintendo had been attempting to work with disc technology since the Famicom, but the medium had problems. Its rewritable magnetic nature could be easily erased (thus leading to a lack of durability), and the discs were a copyright infringement danger. Consequently, when details of CDROM/XA (an extension of the CD-ROM format that combines compressed audio, visual and computer data, allowing all to be accessed simultaneously) came out, Nintendo was interested. CD-ROM/XA was being simultaneously developed by Sony and Philips. Nintendo approached Sony to develop a CD-ROM add-on, tentatively titled the "SNES-CD". A contract was signed, and work began. Nintendo's choice of Sony was due to a prior dealing: Ken Kutaragi, the person who would later be dubbed "The Father of PlayStation", was the individual who had sold Nintendo on using the Sony SPC-700 processor for use as the eight-channel ADPCM sound synthesis set in the Super Famicom/SNES console through an impressive demonstration of the processor's capabilities.

Sony also planned to develop another, Nintendo compatible, Sony-branded console, but one which would be more of a home entertainment system playing both Super Nintendo cartridges and a new CD format which Sony would design. This was also to be the format used in SNES-CD discs, giving a large degree of control to Sony despite Nintendo's leading position in the video gaming market.

The SNES-CD was to be announced at the June 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format. Yamauchi decided that the contract was totally unacceptable and he secretly canceled all plans for the joint Nintendo-Sony SNES CD attachment. Instead of announcing a partnership between Sony and Nintendo, at 9 a.m. the day of the CES, Nintendo chairman Howard Lincoln stepped onto the stage and revealed that Nintendo was now allied with Philips, and Nintendo was planning on abandoning all the previous work Nintendo and Sony had accomplished. Lincoln and Minoru Arakawa had, unbeknown to Sony, flown to Philips headquarters in Europe and formed an alliance of a decidedly different nature—one that would give Nintendo total control over its licenses on Philips machines.

After the collapse of the joint project, Sony considered halting their research, but ultimately the company decided to use what they had developed so far and make it into a complete, stand alone console. As a result, Nintendo filed a lawsuit claiming breach of contract and attempted, in U.S. federal court, to obtain an injunction against the release of the PlayStation, on the grounds that Nintendo owned the name. The federal judge presiding over the case denied the injunction and, in October 1991, the first incarnation of the new Sony PlayStation was revealed. However, it is theorized that only 200 or so of these machines were ever produced.

By the end of 1992, Sony and Nintendo reached a deal whereby the "Sony Play Station" would still have a port for SNES games, but Nintendo would own the rights and receive the bulk of the profits from the games, and the SNES would continue to use the Sony-designed audio chip. However, Sony decided in early 1993 to begin reworking the "Play Station" concept to target a new generation of hardware and software. As part of this process the SNES cartridge port was dropped and the space between the names was removed. 

It's common knowledge amongst most non Sony fan's that Ken Kuturagi was nothing more than a common crook who ran back to Sony like a scalded dog with all the hardware & gaming ideas that he stole from Nintendo.

And yet Sony fan's still worship the ground he walks on.......... TUT TUT TUT.

Uncharted? shouldn't Naughty Dog get the credit for that? afterall, it's their game.

Also........... Gran Turismo 5? Polyphony Digital no?

I stick to what i said...... thanks for the "walkman" sony

I changed my mind.

The best thing Sony ever did was kill SEGA hardware, with stolen Nintendo hardware.

Ronster316 said:

-snip- 

And yet Sony fan's still worship the ground he walks on.......... TUT TUT TUT.

How come it took Nintendo 3 Years to read the contract?

And then, why didn't they just contact Sony over it instead of stabbing Sony in the back like they did, leaving poor innocent Ken to limp away with his PlayStation?

Around the Network

Imo, the ps1.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Uncharted, God of War and Resistance

Har har har Carl.

Sony's megabucks beat up the little guy.

Congratulations MUST go out to sony for BUYING their way to the top huh?

Oh, and how is sonys financial situation these days? i heard they were losing billions (and i LOVE IT)

With regards to the contract.............. Sony tried to pul a fast one by making the contract the way it was......... thank god Nintendo noticed it or sony (as usual) would have got somthing for nothing (you know, like they do most of the time, buying rather than actually CREATING)

Back then Nintedno were gaming hardware and obviously sofware GIANTS (well, they still are)

And who exactly were sony back then in the gaming world........ i'll tell ya............ NOBODIES.

sony making a bunch a demands despite been complete gaming NOOBS? well suprise suprise... bunch of god damn DIVA's

Not the thread for Sony bashing, Ronster, move along.

CD