By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF XIII-2 PS3 sells less than FF III on the Famicom

Tagged games:

VGKing said:

XIII did have side quests.......
Anyway people complain games like COD are copy & paste, yet here you people are encouraging Square Enix to do just that.

I say let them experiment. XIII wasn't as bad as people said it was. XIII-2 seems to be a much better game so I will be picking that up next year.

What was that then? More fights repeating exactly the same gameplay that you find in the main story?

Not much of a "side" quest really.

Around the Network

It's a rather pointless comparison. I think it would be more pressing to compare it to X-2, and how it only managed to sell a third of what that game did. Square's performance has been shameful this generation.

A203D said:
It still could sell 1 mil in Japan, although it seems unlikely. if its as good as they say it will have sales momentium.

and its not a mainline entry, its a sequel to the worst recieved FF in the series. i dont know why people were expecting the second coming; they had 5 years with FF13, they wasted it. its not unaniticipated.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4352577

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

MontanaHatchet said:
It's a rather pointless comparison. I think it would be more pressing to compare it to X-2, and how it only managed to sell a third of what that game did. Square's performance has been shameful this generation.

bingo. FFX-2 sold 1.6m first week in Japan

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Oh well, hopefully Wada will learn where to allocate resources now (i.e. not to a sequel to a game a minority of people liked). Instead of Final Fantasy XIII-2 we could have had Final Fantasy Vs XIII out this year, a translation for Final Fantasy Type 0, or even a new IP.

Around the Network

It wont match XIII's sales by a long shot but (Sorry if someone has already said this next bit) but you do realise these media create figures are for 3 days sales (release on the 15th to the 18th dec) Its only been out a week as of yesterday and all these other FF sales figures are first week (7 day periods)

Playing it now though & its great fun, Think it'll have a LOT wider appeal than XIII (and XII and X-2) does long term, they really have addressed a lot of the issues people complained about in XIII

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

Amazing how such a popular franchise can be fucked up by a company who has no idea how to treat the thing.

Square Enix have really been one of the worst managed companies in the gaming industry this generation. Stupid decisions at the top have cost them a whole bunch.

Wada needs to go.

2000cc said:
It wont match XIII's sales by a long shot but (Sorry if someone has already said this next bit) but you do realise these media create figures are for 3 days sales (release on the 15th to the 18th dec) Its only been out a week as of yesterday and all these other FF sales figures are first week (7 day periods)

Playing it now though & its great fun, Think it'll have a LOT wider appeal than XIII (and XII and X-2) does long term, they really have addressed a lot of the issues people complained about in XIII

Yes we will have to check the sales on the next chart to really know. 

But the Game is awesome and that is really all that matters^w^

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Carl2291 said:
Amazing how such a popular franchise can be fucked up by a company who has no idea how to treat the thing.

Square Enix have really been one of the worst managed companies in the gaming industry this generation. Stupid decisions at the top have cost them a whole bunch.

Wada needs to go.

Wada's actully an awesome CEO. other companies like EA, Ubisoft, etc have been posting losses; somehow despite prolongeded production cycles and the decline of console gaming in Japan, Wada is posting gains.

hes also aquired excellent mergers for SE. case in point Deus Ex, which is GOTY material. the Tomb Raider reboot next year also looks very promising. not to mention in a recent interview with Yoshinori Kitase (producer on FF13 and 13-2), he cites the influence of Edios as a key factor in how Toriyama went in to develop FF13-2. the point is they've learned a lot from the merger that Wada made with Eidos.

my point is why talk shit about a CEO, a buisness man who has nothing to do with the quality of games. Wada might not be a game designer, but hes a damn good buisness man.

not to mention the rumours of FF15; it means behind the scenes Wada has tasked the second Final Fantasy production team with the next installment, meaning they havent wasted this gen on one mainline FF. besides Cystal Tools wasnt his fault it was the fault of Kitase, Toriyama and Nomura, who arnt buisnessmen.

Because a CEO should also make sure the best thing a company has isn't run into the ground.

He might have done some okay/good things with the Western market, but at the same times hes butchered his companies biggest series. Stupid business decisions cost XIII. If the game stayed exclusive, knock a Year off dev time, at least. Then release the poor selling port when it's done. Don't delay (and increase expectations) of XIII even longer. That means you could also knock a Year off XIII-2. Versus XIII. XIII-3.

Star Ocean was made exclusive to a console in Japan, that had a userbase of a Million, when the competitors were flying ahead. The Last Remnant was looking to be a new series from them, they made it a 360 exclusive. People are STILL expecting the PS3 port...

All in all, they need someone else managing in Japan. Move Wada along to the Western market, kinda like a Reggie or Jack of Square Enix.