By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVita launch week sales:321k

Seece said:
Tridrakious said:
Seece said:
Tridrakious said:
What is this site going to do about tracking digital sales. Vita is the first system to launch with a store that sells all retail releases in digital form and have an infinite number of PSN exclusive titles.

With Sony making a bigger effort to bring all of the retail PS3 games to the PSN and the 360 having its catalog of 360 retail releases on their Marketplace, how will this site keep up.

The only ones who will have the numbers will be Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. We'd only have reports at the quarter briefings.

Nothing? We don't track digital sales of other games, even ones we can track. But unless Sony ect reveal those digital figures I don't know what you expect.

If this site can "track" digital transactions, why doesn't it? Why can we not see digital sales charts? And the last part of your statement just supports what I've been thinking as far as this site is concerned.

The only digital we can track is physical digital codes, like the Halo Reach code bundled in the holiday bundle. We don't add them though for consistancy issues.

In terms of something from a digital store, where only Sony have the figures, again what do you want us to do? Storm Sony HQ and rip the numbers off of their database?

Well thank you for the information.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Seece said:
Tridrakious said:
Seece said:
Tridrakious said:
What is this site going to do about tracking digital sales. Vita is the first system to launch with a store that sells all retail releases in digital form and have an infinite number of PSN exclusive titles.

With Sony making a bigger effort to bring all of the retail PS3 games to the PSN and the 360 having its catalog of 360 retail releases on their Marketplace, how will this site keep up.

The only ones who will have the numbers will be Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. We'd only have reports at the quarter briefings.

Nothing? We don't track digital sales of other games, even ones we can track. But unless Sony ect reveal those digital figures I don't know what you expect.

If this site can "track" digital transactions, why doesn't it? Why can we not see digital sales charts? And the last part of your statement just supports what I've been thinking as far as this site is concerned.

The only digital we can track is physical digital codes, like the Halo Reach code bundled in the holiday bundle. We don't add them though for consistancy issues.

In terms of something from a digital store, where only Sony have the figures, again what do you want us to do? Storm Sony HQ and rip the numbers off of their database?

It is possible to track Wiiware and XBLA (I remember seeing well done charts about them) to some degree, but Sony PSN numbers are somewhat impossible due to lack information. 

I've never found out why Sony won't give out actual numbers on PSN games other than.

inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood "Best selling PSN game ever".

Uncharted is not Big enough?? i think Vita line up better than 3DS.

VG247

Sony’s initial shipment of Vita consoles for last weekend’s Japanese launch falls about one-third short of pre-launch retailer reports. 

Sony sent out 500,000 units to retailers, IGDA Japan vice coordinator Kyoshi Shin told Nikkei, as translated by Andriasang.

The figure runs contrary to earlier reports of an initial shipment size of 700,000.

Shin’s report highlighted Sony’s failure to sell through its entire initial shipment, and criticised the new tech’s pricing.

Eneterbrain revealed yesterday that initial reports indicate sales for the handheld’s first two daystopped 321,000, a good 500,000 units well short of the 3DS’s performance over the same period. The market research company estimated the console would make 1.4 million sales in its first week.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/21/report-sony-shipped-500000-vitas-for-japanese-launch/

Nsanity said:

VG247

Eneterbrain revealed yesterday that initial reports indicate sales for the handheld’s first two daystopped 321,000, a good 500,000 units well short of the 3DS’s performance over the same period. The market research company estimated the console would make 1.4 million sales in its first week.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/21/report-sony-shipped-500000-vitas-for-japanese-launch/

Erm... What?

500,000 well short of the 3DS's performance over the same period? The 3DS sold 374,000 units in 2 days, not 821,000 units. And they expected Vita to sell 1.4 Million units in 2 days? What?

Am I reading this wrong?

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Nsanity said:

VG247

Erm... What?

500,000 well short of the 3DS's performance over the same period? The 3DS sold 374,000 units in 2 days, not 821,000 units. And they expected Vita to sell 1.4 Million units in 2 days? What?

Am I reading this wrong?

I think the sentence was supposed to be the following. ...321,000, a good amount below the 500,000 units of the shipment and below the 3DS's performance. 

Or they meant to say 50,000. 

One or the other. I think they meant to say 50,000. 

theprof00 said:
By far the biggest problem Vita has right now is that there aren't any games.
Literally! They have literally sold out of all the games on the system. The estimate was something like 100k of each game.
How you gunna buy a system with a game when there aren't any on the shelves?

By getting a 4 gig card and downloading some, of course! There's a shortage in the higher capacity cards, but 4 and 8 gig cards are still fairly available.

Carl2291 said:
Nsanity said:

VG247

Erm... What?

Am I reading this wrong?

The 500k was a typo, if you go in to the link that I'm quoting, and click though to http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/20/vita-shifts-321000-units-in-first-two-days/ you will see "For comparison, the Japanese launch of the 3DS saw 371,326 units sold in the first two days, a good 50,000 more, "

The 1.4 million thing isn't that they expected it to sell 1.4 million in its first two days, it was made after the sales of 321k came in, and they are now expecting (1400 - 321)k sales for the next 5 days. I don't know that that is any more reasonable, but that's what the claim is. This sourceis slightly better worded re: the 1.4 million thing http://otekbits.com/playstation-vita-launches-in-japan-321400-units-sold-in-two-days/.

Edit: Ignore this post, others have mentioned it already.

Maybe they are expecting to sell 140k (not 1.4 million) in the next 5 days. If there was a typo with the 500k number, there could be another in the 1.4M